The unofficial random questions thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The unofficial random questions thread

Post by Gigantis »

master_of_monsters wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:52 pm what is love?
Shrek is love. Shrek is life.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:32 pm
kingkevzilla88 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:41 pm Can anyone explain what the "planning" credit on Japanese movies means?
It's a producer credit.
Thank you.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I was brought up christian (I've turned atheist because of, well life) and I would always ask whoever minister "If Jesus rose from the dead wouldn't that make him a zombie?"
your source of self destruction

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

master_of_monsters wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:50 pm I was brought up christian (I've turned atheist because of, well life) and I would always ask whoever minister "If Jesus rose from the dead wouldn't that make him a zombie?"

Well, my thinking is that his body and sprite merged together when he died and ascended to heaven. So Jesus is not a zombie, he's a phantasm, a sprite that can take physical forum.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I fucking hate the internet but I keep coming back to it

Why?
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

kingkevzilla88 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:25 pm
master_of_monsters wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:50 pm I was brought up christian (I've turned atheist because of, well life) and I would always ask whoever minister "If Jesus rose from the dead wouldn't that make him a zombie?"

Well, my thinking is that his body and sprite merged together when he died and ascended to heaven. So Jesus is not a zombie, he's a phantasm, a sprite that can take physical forum.
hmm so for lack of a better comparison, kind of like a force ghost?

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

master_of_monsters wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:16 am

*Sigh*, I don't know why I'm entertaining this line of reasoning, but I'll drop some knowledge into this mix. According to all gospel accounts and most(though notably not all) scholarly thinking, Jesus's body was buried in a tomb after his death. After that historical evidence hits a wall, but continuing from gospel accounts 3 days later his body and soul were reunited and his body revived (and also glorified, which is isn't really nailed down but general thinking is that it was made perfect, whatever that means.) Anyway he kicked around for a while, making physical appearances here and there to various people, eating food or letting people poke him to prove he wasn't just an apparition, only some of which is documented, and then later ascended into Heaven body and soul, which marks the first and only instance of that in bible canon. (I think Elijah is the only other case of a person being implied to have been whisked off body and soul, but I'm not sure where theologians stand on the reality of that one and either way that wouldn't have been to Heaven yet.)
So while yes his body was revived from death, technically qualifying as undead, it was also restored to full functionality and he was in complete control of it, neither of which is usually associated with depictions of zombies. Lame and unfunny as it is, the best comparison would probably be to a Greek god, where they have physical bodies but can also shapeshift or disappear at will.

Have I spoiled everyone's fun yet?

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 am
master_of_monsters wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:16 am

*Sigh*, I don't know why I'm entertaining this line of reasoning, but I'll drop some knowledge into this mix. According to all gospel accounts and most(though notably not all) scholarly thinking, Jesus's body was buried in a tomb after his death. After that historical evidence hits a wall, but continuing from gospel accounts 3 days later his body and soul were reunited and his body revived (and also glorified, which is isn't really nailed down but general thinking is that it was made perfect, whatever that means.) Anyway he kicked around for a while, making physical appearances here and there to various people, eating food or letting people poke him to prove he wasn't just an apparition, only some of which is documented, and then later ascended into Heaven body and soul, which marks the first and only instance of that in bible canon. (I think Elijah is the only other case of a person being implied to have been whisked off body and soul, but I'm not sure where theologians stand on the reality of that one and either way that wouldn't have been to Heaven yet.)
So while yes his body was revived from death, technically qualifying as undead, it was also restored to full functionality and he was in complete control of it, neither of which is usually associated with depictions of zombies. Lame and unfunny as it is, the best comparison would probably be to a Greek god, where they have physical bodies but can also shapeshift or disappear at will.

Have I spoiled everyone's fun yet?
I'm honestly finding this interesting from a mythology standpoint plus every time I would ask that question when I was a kid I would get the minister equivalent to "shut the fuck up"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

No, no fun ruined at all. I'm agnostic, but I have been exposed to Christianity all my life, with my parents being casual believers, attending Christian schools for a few years, and some of my siblings also being in Christian schools. Lately, though, I've come to realize that I... don't actually know much about the religion beyond a little basic surface level stuff. I'm starting to work on fixing that, and insight like this is both interesting and helpful. For example, now I'm going to look into what theologians make of the Elijah incident. Well, I do know that some interpret it as an alien abduction...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G-Force Personnel

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 am No, no fun ruined at all. I'm agnostic, but I have been exposed to Christianity all my life, with my parents being casual believers, attending Christian schools for a few years, and some of my siblings also being in Christian schools. Lately, though, I've come to realize that I... don't actually know much about the religion beyond a little basic surface level stuff. I'm starting to work on fixing that, and insight like this is both interesting and helpful. For example, now I'm going to look into what theologians make of the Elijah incident. Well, I do know that some interpret it as an alien abduction...
Wait really? Yeah, I'd say that's definitely what you'd call a fringe theory. :lol:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 pm Wait really? Yeah, I'd say that's definitely what you'd call a fringe theory. :lol:
Oh, sure. A flying vehicle allegedly made of fire came down, picked the guy up, and took off with him; I mean, it does sort of sound like what is reported today. And the ufology camp that believes aliens have been visiting Earth for thousands or millions of years has pointed out several other Biblical stories as potential evidence. The 'pillar of cloud' and 'pillar of fire' that guided the Israelites across the desert, for example, are considered possible UFOs; cigar shapes are commonly reported, after all. There was a contraption made of 'wheels within wheels' somewhere in the Bible, which might be interpreted as a flying saucer. Some of the instances of direct contact with God, angels, or demons might actually have been alien visitations, and the details of the conversations that were had became muddied and retranslated to fit what humanity understands. Etc.

G-Force Personnel

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:41 pm
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:30 pm Wait really? Yeah, I'd say that's definitely what you'd call a fringe theory. :lol:
Oh, sure. A flying vehicle allegedly made of fire came down, picked the guy up, and took off with him; I mean, it does sort of sound like what is reported today. And the ufology camp that believes aliens have been visiting Earth for thousands or millions of years has pointed out several other Biblical stories as potential evidence. The 'pillar of cloud' and 'pillar of fire' that guided the Israelites across the desert, for example, are considered possible UFOs; cigar shapes are commonly reported, after all. There was a contraption made of 'wheels within wheels' somewhere in the Bible, which might be interpreted as a flying saucer. Some of the instances of direct contact with God, angels, or demons might actually have been alien visitations, and the details of the conversations that were had became muddied and retranslated to fit what humanity understands. Etc.
Hmm, with the additional points I can see where they could make their case. Curious now how other mythologies fit into their theory, are any incompatible with each other or is everything aliens... Interesting.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 am Hmm, with the additional points I can see where they could make their case. Curious now how other mythologies fit into their theory, are any incompatible with each other or is everything aliens... Interesting.
Different researchers have different ideas, of course, but plenty of mythologies are included in this line of thinking, with Egyptian and Mesoamerican being particularly popular, aliens having built the pyramids and Machu Picchu and so on. It's a major branch of Ufology, and has been for decades. There are any number of books out there if you want to look into this stuff, Chariots of the Gods being the first (I think) and most iconic. I haven't read it myself yet, though, so I can't personally speak for its quality. The TV show Ancient Aliens also digs heavily into this kind of stuff, though it has a lot of bonkers and frankly insulting ideas sprinkled throughout. It pretty much makes humanity out to be incapable of any kind of creativity or hard work, with aliens having done everything for us all along. :lol:

G-Force Personnel

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:38 am
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:26 am Hmm, with the additional points I can see where they could make their case. Curious now how other mythologies fit into their theory, are any incompatible with each other or is everything aliens... Interesting.
Different researchers have different ideas, of course, but plenty of mythologies are included in this line of thinking, with Egyptian and Mesoamerican being particularly popular, aliens having built the pyramids and Machu Picchu and so on. It's a major branch of Ufology, and has been for decades. There are any number of books out there if you want to look into this stuff, Chariots of the Gods being the first (I think) and most iconic. I haven't read it myself yet, though, so I can't personally speak for its quality. The TV show Ancient Aliens also digs heavily into this kind of stuff, though it has a lot of bonkers and frankly insulting ideas sprinkled throughout. It pretty much makes humanity out to be incapable of any kind of creativity or hard work, with aliens having done everything for us all along. :lol:
Hold up, I recognize that name...
it is, it's that show

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yep, that's the one.

Toho1993
Ronin

Post by Toho1993 »

What fictional character has come back from ashes and how have they done it?

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Why is teaching patriots to swaer funny?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Pepsi or Coca Cola?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:29 pm Pepsi or Coca Cola?
Whichever is on sale. Coke is marginally better, though.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Is Saul also among the prophets?