The Pet Thread Redux (Reptiles/Mammals/Fish Anything!)

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
_JNavs_
Keizer

The Pet Thread Redux (Reptiles/Mammals/Fish Anything!)

Post by _JNavs_ »

So I didn't want to clog up the Made my Day thread, and figured a "Reptile" Thread would be way too topic specific. I checked to see if a pet thread existed, and it seems there used to be one in 2010, but it's no longer there. So I made this one for people who wanted to discuss or post pics of their animals, be it fish, reptiles, dogs, cats, mountain lions, eagles, blue whales etc!

This is my lil Chacoan Tegu, doing what reptilian kaiju do best, messing with Japanese symbols. Haven't come up with a name yet, but he has a very funny and intelligent personality with strikingly vivid colors that'll eventually fade to a white and black.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Pet Thread Redux (Reptiles/Mammals/Fish Anything!)

Post by JAGzilla »

*pushes up glasses*

Mountain lions and cougars are the same animal. Just putting that out there.

And on topic, I do really like the green on Tegus' heads. Very striking.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JAGzilla wrote:*pushes up glasses*

Mountain lions and cougars are the same animal. Just putting that out there.

And on topic, I do really like the green on Tegus' heads. Very striking.
:lol:, I should've looked that up first lol!

And yeah, when young, Tegus have stunningly green heads. I don't exactly know how a baby Tegu goes from a tri-colored stripe pattern like this:

To a black/white checkered look like this, but it's amazing nonetheless. I'm really hoping the high white color kicks in.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I've got two dogs. A 6 year old chocolate lab name Molly and one that's my dad's name Sophie, an American bulldog/lab mix with maybe a bit of husky based on her curled tail.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I've got two dogs. A 6 year old chocolate lab name Molly and one that's my dad's name Sophie, an American bulldog/lab mix with maybe a bit of husky based on her curled tail.
I always thought Labs were overrated growing up, but my grandma bought a 6 week old lab about a year ago and he's been the most definitive idea for me of what a dog really is. While he's insanely active and uncontrollable during the day hours, he does it outta love. He jumps in the pool constantly, swims, and is basically the Energizer bunny of dogs lol. But past 10pm he becomes so calm and human-like, he'll put his paw on your leg or your shoulder and look at you to tell you it's time for bed, lay with his legs up in the air, it's adorable.

His name's Ponyboy, since he's a yellow lab, and "Stay Golden Ponyboy" kinda fit his personality :lol: .

Were your dogs crazily active when they were younger?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:Were your dogs crazily active when they were younger?
My last lab Phoebe kinda was granted anti-social towards other dogs but not people.

Though Molly and Sophie they're definitely social and active. Energetic too like most labs.

Being a avid dog lover and being more of an animal person. I have an emotional attachment towards Sophie given dad brought her home unannounced on December 10th and I was just joyfully surprised. I couldn't tell you how much she helped fill that empty void I had when my corn snake of over ten years died last year at the end of November. I've since have some emotional connection towards her and love her just as much as Molly as if she were my dog too. Given how my dad's been busy. I've been pitching in to help to give her all the attention she needs.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

This is my common snapping turtle named Fafner. I took this photo a couple months back for World Turtle Day:

And here's our European green crab named Krabby, protecting his "hoard:"

We have tons of fish, but I'll post them another time.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Darth Kiryu wrote:This is my common snapping turtle named Fafner. I took this photo a couple months back for World Turtle Day:

snip
What a beauty he is. I love how for this World Turtle Day you put your Gamera figures next to him. Cute. ^_^

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Darth Kiryu wrote:This is my common snapping turtle named Fafner. I took this photo a couple months back for World Turtle Day:

And here's our European green crab named Krabby, protecting his "hoard:"

We have tons of fish, but I'll post them another time.
Fafner and Krabby are so cool! They look like tanks, I have a common snapper as well, He's much much darker and not quite as big and beast as yours though, plus he's got a major attitude. Like a little bear lol. Where'd you get Krabby? Was he a catch?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

_JNavs_ wrote:Where'd you get Krabby? Was he a catch?
Yep! My boyfriend caught him when he was very small. He was already missing a claw, so he wouldn't have survived long if we didn't bring him home. He's been our vicious sea monster ever since. :lol:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Anyone got any recommendations for stocking a 500 gal tank? I'm planning one out that I want to build in the next 2 decades.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for stocking a 500 gal tank? I'm planning one out that I want to build in the next 2 decades.
I like to think I've got a pretty solid past in fishkeeping lol, what were you thinking of going with?

Freshwater or Saltwater?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for stocking a 500 gal tank? I'm planning one out that I want to build in the next 2 decades.
I like to think I've got a pretty solid past in fishkeeping lol, what were you thinking of going with?

Freshwater or Saltwater?
By far, Freshwater. I'm looking to house large oddball fish that aren't catfish in it once I save enough to build it. Preferably carnivorous as I've found that they are much easier to feed via pellets and meaty stuff
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Here's something cool and rewarding, so my White-Headed Tegu has been eating like a champ and already knows to come directly to my hand when called, he's only about a month now i think(?) But more importantly, he finally went through his first shed this week! More spots have popped up, though it may not appear too obvious to the untrained eye, but i'll show a comparison pic later.

Another thing i want to add is, his head in certain lighting seems to be going yellow, which is the beginning signs of the white head. So it's lookin like good things are ahead! However, i could just be wrong since in the fourth pic it just seems to be a lighter green, what do you guys think?

Added in 6 minutes 54 seconds:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: By far, Freshwater. I'm looking to house large oddball fish that aren't catfish in it once I save enough to build it. Preferably carnivorous as I've found that they are much easier to feed via pellets.
Ahhhh my favorite! Freshwater oddballs!

I had a beautiful Oscar growing up, he was the best, had him from the age of 5 to about 14. He was great, lovable personality and would eat anything i threw in there. I definitely recommend one or 2 of those since a 500 gal is MASSIVE.

I also had an Alligator Gar, highly recommend one of those just because of how alien their eating style is, they really are essentially alligators. Had him for about 6 years.

I personally love Red Tail Catfishes as well, they get along great with the motley crew and look so adorable (but are willing to eat everything they possibly can, so maybe wait on that till your other fish are huge).

Pacu's are great, peaceful, sweet fish who resemble Piranhas, but they grow huge, and while they're not really carnivores, they can hang with the big boys just fine.

The sky is the limit really, i'd also highly recommend a Clown or Ghost Knifefish, beautiful freshwater fish for sure.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

_JNavs_ wrote:Here's something cool and rewarding, so my White-Headed Tegu has been eating like a champ and already knows to come directly to my hand when called, he's only about a month now i think(?) But more importantly, he finally went through his first shed this week! More spots have popped up, though it may not appear too obvious to the untrained eye, but i'll show a comparison pic later.

Another thing i want to add is, his head in certain lighting seems to be going yellow, which is the beginning signs of the white head. So it's lookin like good things are ahead! However, i could just be wrong since in the fourth pic it just seems to be a lighter green, what do you guys think?

Added in 6 minutes 54 seconds:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: By far, Freshwater. I'm looking to house large oddball fish that aren't catfish in it once I save enough to build it. Preferably carnivorous as I've found that they are much easier to feed via pellets.
Ahhhh my favorite! Freshwater oddballs!

I had a beautiful Oscar growing up, he was the best, had him from the age of 5 to about 14. He was great, lovable personality and would eat anything i threw in there. I definitely recommend one or 2 of those since a 500 gal is MASSIVE.

I also had an Alligator Gar, highly recommend one of those just because of how alien their eating style is, they really are essentially alligators. Had him for about 6 years.

I personally love Red Tail Catfishes as well, they get along great with the motley crew and look so adorable (but are willing to eat everything they possibly can, so maybe wait on that till your other fish are huge).

Pacu's are great, peaceful, sweet fish who resemble Piranhas, but they grow huge, and while they're not really carnivores, they can hang with the big boys just fine.

The sky is the limit really, i'd also highly recommend a Clown or Ghost Knifefish, beautiful freshwater fish for sure.
Hooo-wheee that's a nice lizard! I've always wanted one but they're not legal over where i'm from.

On the fish, I'd have to say that unfortunately, while I like your suggestions 4 I believe (Pacu, all Garfish,possibly the featherback and RTC) are Illegal over here. IK there are in fact wild gar out there in some of the small freshwater lakes (not sure how they got here) but keeping them is a felony IIRC.

Oscars are defs on my radar due to their color and intelligence. A family member who kept aquarium fish in the early days of "modern" aquaria recommended me the Black Ghost Knifefish due to how weird they are (the BGK loses its eyes after it grows to around 15 in.) and the fact that they are beautiful fish. He also suggested the elephantnose and Lungfish. What is your opinion on the SA and Aussie Arowanas?

TBH i'm surprised Wallago and RTC are illegal over here but the Wels (which, like the Wallago, attacks people and grows much larger) isn't.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Hooo-wheee that's a nice lizard! I've always wanted one but they're not legal over where i'm from.

On the fish, I'd have to say that unfortunately, while I like your suggestions 4 I believe (Pacu, all Garfish,possibly the featherback and RTC) are Illegal over here. IK there are in fact wild gar out there in some of the small freshwater lakes (not sure how they got here) but keeping them is a felony IIRC.

Oscars are defs on my radar due to their color and intelligence. A family member who kept aquarium fish in the early days of "modern" aquaria recommended me the Black Ghost Knifefish due to how weird they are (the BGK loses its eyes after it grows to around 15 in.) and the fact that they are beautiful fish. He also suggested the elephantnose and Lungfish. What is your opinion on the SA and Aussie Arowanas?

TBH i'm surprised Wallago and RTC are illegal over here but the Wels (which, like the Wallago, attacks people and grows much larger) isn't.
Thank you!! Yeah I live in NY so i know animal laws generally speaking are murky at best lol, for example, Monitors are illegal in New York State, but the reptile shop near me sells them no questions asked and you wouldn't get in trouble if you had ownership of one, but if the police see you walking an 8ft lizard down the block i'm sure you'd be in some deep poop :lol: . I don't recall if Tegus are as well but there seems to be a strange divide between state and city laws. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Oscars are phenomenal, if i were you, i'd go with a sorta Yin and Yang dynamic, a Tiger Oscar and an albino Tiger Oscar to kinda compliment eachother. Your family member was certainly right about BGKs, definite odd ones they are, love em. But Elephant-Noses, while interesting to look at, have issues with food and tend to die due to other fish getting to their special food quicker than they do. I've heard about lungfish, i love the serpent-esque look to them, but i think they grow absolutely massive right?

I also really enjoy Bichirs for their Godzilla-ish appearance and Ropefish because the one i had reminded me of Manda growing up lol, they look so sweet. Another cool one to look into would be a Dragon Goby, those things look like they're right out of the deep dark sea.

Arowana's are stunningly pretty fish, but they're prone to jumping out of the tank, so you'd either need a lock and key top, or something heavy sitting on the lid, but other than that, it'd definitely be the "crown" of the tank.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Hooo-wheee that's a nice lizard! I've always wanted one but they're not legal over where i'm from.

Thank you!! Yeah I live in NY so i know animal laws generally speaking are murky at best lol, for example, Monitors are illegal in New York State, but the reptile shop near me sells them no questions asked and you wouldn't get in trouble if you had ownership of one, but if the police see you walking an 8ft lizard down the block i'm sure you'd be in some deep poop :lol: . I don't recall if Tegus are as well but there seems to be a strange divide between state and city laws. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Oscars are phenomenal, if i were you, i'd go with a sorta Yin and Yang dynamic, a Tiger Oscar and an albino Tiger Oscar to kinda compliment eachother. Your family member was certainly right about BGKs, definite odd ones they are, love em. But Elephant-Noses, while interesting to look at, have issues with food and tend to die due to other fish getting to their special food quicker than they do. I've heard about lungfish, i love the serpent-esque look to them, but i think they grow absolutely massive right?

I also really enjoy Bichirs for their Godzilla-ish appearance and Ropefish because the one i had reminded me of Manda growing up lol, they look so sweet. Another cool one to look into would be a Dragon Goby, those things look like they're right out of the deep dark sea.

Arowana's are stunningly pretty fish, but they're prone to jumping out of the tank, so you'd either need a lock and key top, or something heavy sitting on the lid, but other than that, it'd definitely be the "crown" of the tank.
I'll let you guess based off of this clue: Almost all notable land reptiles are illegal in the state. Especially snakes.

Always liked Tiger oscars. I've always shied away from the Albinos because they've become comercially saturated IMHO like the pearl Gourami, and at this point it pains me that such a beautiful fish is mundane in my eyes due to how often they're used in generic box art, etc.

Then again, i've never seen an adult albino oscar.

The elephantnose is almost never available here and my family member said to only get one if i'm well-experienced in special care. The lungfish grows to about 30-ish inches long in aquaria and my fam recollects that he kept in in a large feeding trough (220 gallons) with a filter attached and some plants and sandy substrate. Unfortunately he cannot remember what species it was, but he believes it was Protopterus Annectens. The reason he liked it was because it was tough, basically ate anything meaty, and it was interesting to look at. He did warn me that they could deliver a nasty bite.

Unfortunately, while Bichirs have been sighted in the wild here, they are also illegal. If they weren't i'd get one for my trough ecosystem in a heartbeat. Aren't dragon gobies brackish water? I like their aesthetic but I read some time ago that at adulthood they prefer brackish water. They are legal here, I've seen them at my local pet store.

IK about the Arowana jumping thing, it's one of my main concerns about them.They are beautiful fish-my pet store usually has Silver Arows for a pretty good price. Never seen Jardinis tho.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: I'll let you guess based off of this clue: Almost all notable land reptiles are illegal in the state. Especially snakes.

Always liked Tiger oscars. I've always shied away from the Albinos because they've become comercially saturated IMHO like the pearl Gourami, and at this point it pains me that such a beautiful fish is mundane in my eyes due to how often they're used in generic box art, etc.

The elephantnose is almost never available here and my family member said to only get one if i'm well-experienced in special care. The lungfish grows to about 30-ish inches long in aquaria and my fam recollects that he kept in in a large feeding trough (220 gallons) with a filter attached and some plants and sandy substrate. Unfortunately he cannot remember what species it was, but he believes it was Protopterus Annectens. The reason he liked it was because it was tough, basically ate anything meaty, and it was interesting to look at. He did warn me that they could deliver a nasty bite.

Unfortunately, while Bichirs have been sighted in the wild here, they are also illegal. If they weren't i'd get one for my trough ecosystem in a heartbeat. Aren't dragon gobies brackish water? I like their aesthetic but I read some time ago that at adulthood they prefer brackish water. They are legal here, I've seen them at my local pet store.

IK about the Arowana jumping thing, it's one of my main concerns about them.They are beautiful fish-my pet store usually has Silver Arows for a pretty good price. Never seen Jardinis tho.
Hawaii :lol: ?

You're right about Dragon Gobies, i forgot that they don't do too well in 100% FW. But a cool alternative would be something like a Fire Eel, they eat and tend to be active swimmers when young. It's crazy that even Bichirs are illegal out there, must be some pretty strict laws :lol: . I don't believe they're invasive, but i could be wrong.

You're right about the oversaturation of the Albino Oscars being on eeeeeeverything food related, but they really glow-up as adults, like living big white canvas' with red brushstrokes. I'd post a pic but i'm on mobile rn so it's kinda difficult, once i hop on my laptop tm i'll send a pic.

Silver Arows are beauties, i believe Jardinis are the smaller finned ones right? I much prefer that smooth flowing look the Silvers have, if you find one for a solid price i'd say definitely go for it.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: I'll let you guess based off of this clue: Almost all notable land reptiles are illegal in the state. Especially snakes.

Hawaii :lol: ?

You're right about Dragon Gobies, i forgot that they don't do too well in 100% FW. But a cool alternative would be something like a Fire Eel, they eat and tend to be active swimmers when young. It's crazy that even Bichirs are illegal out there, must be some pretty strict laws :lol: . I don't believe they're invasive, but i could be wrong.

You're right about the oversaturation of the Albino Oscars being on eeeeeeverything food related, but they really glow-up as adults, like living big white canvas' with red brushstrokes. I'd post a pic but i'm on mobile rn so it's kinda difficult, once i hop on my laptop tm i'll send a pic.

Silver Arows are beauties, i believe Jardinis are the smaller finned ones right? I much prefer that smooth flowing look the Silvers have, if you find one for a solid price i'd say definitely go for it.
Eyup. Laws here are basically "IF IT BREATHES, IT IS A THOT." The friggin zoo is only allowed to have 2 (!!!) non venomous snakes in their possession.THIS>https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uplo ... AR-71P.pdf is a comprehensive list of illegal wildlife. Make sure you read EVERY SPECIES apart from the birds to let the insanity sink in.

My family member was living elsewhere a long time ago when he kept the Lungfish and such, and he says that the climate here is much more conducive for such a large tropical fish.

I knew a dude who apparently pulled a Bichir out of a fishing lake out here. He thought it was a weird snakehead (We have snakeheads up here that were introduced in the 1900's by chinese field workers) until he was reading up on aquarium fish and stumbled across the Senegal Bichir. He also saw what he thought was a gar in that lake, and seeing as there were reports of a "crocodile" there for a while I'd say there may be truth to that. I wouldn't be surprised if someone smuggled something in like that, as both fish can breathe air and every now and then animal control gets called out for an Opossum or Boa constrictor. If Bichirs are here, I don't think its a breeding pop tho, and if it is their eggs are probably eaten voraciously by Tilapia. Same with gar.

I already have a Fire Eel! He lives in one of my troughs and performs population control on the tadpoles and livebearers, like the ID's do in my other one (Though he won't grow as large as them). He's around 15 inches long RN and lives in the substrate behind my lily pot. They prefer livefood/soft organic meats to pellets ja?

My Pet Store usually has juvenile Silvers for good prices. The Jardini is a close relative of the Asian Dragonfish and thus resembles it greatly: Image(This is a Jardini, obviously not mine). I HAVE seen a Jardini on second thought-not for sale. Since Asian Dragonfish are illegal for sale in the US apparently, Asian restaurants usually use Jardini's in their stead to bring good luck like the Dragonfish is supposed to.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Eyup. Laws here are basically "IF IT BREATHES, IT IS A THOT." The friggin zoo is only allowed to have 2 (!!!) non venomous snakes in their possession.THIS>https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/wp-content/uplo ... AR-71P.pdf is a comprehensive list of illegal wildlife. Make sure you read EVERY SPECIES apart from the birds to let the insanity sink in.

My family member was living elsewhere a long time ago when he kept the Lungfish and such, and he says that the climate here is much more conducive for such a large tropical fish.

I knew a dude who apparently pulled a Bichir out of a fishing lake out here. He thought it was a weird snakehead (We have snakeheads up here that were introduced in the 1900's by chinese field workers) until he was reading up on aquarium fish and stumbled across the Senegal Bichir. He also saw what he thought was a gar in that lake, and seeing as there were reports of a "crocodile" there for a while I'd say there may be truth to that. I wouldn't be surprised if someone smuggled something in like that, as both fish can breathe air and every now and then animal control gets called out for an Opossum or Boa constrictor. If Bichirs are here, I don't think its a breeding pop tho, and if it is their eggs are probably eaten voraciously by Tilapia. Same with gar.

I already have a Fire Eel! He lives in one of my troughs and performs population control on the tadpoles and livebearers, like the ID's do in my other one (Though he won't grow as large as them). He's around 15 inches long RN and lives in the substrate behind my lily pot. They prefer livefood/soft organic meats to pellets ja?

My Pet Store usually has juvenile Silvers for good prices. The Jardini is a close relative of the Asian Dragonfish and thus resembles it greatly: Image(This is a Jardini, obviously not mine). I HAVE seen a Jardini on second thought-not for sale. Since Asian Dragonfish are illegal for sale in the US apparently, Asian restaurants usually use Jardini's in their stead to bring good luck like the Dragonfish is supposed to.
:lol: :lol: , that is insane, is there a specific reason Hawaii is so strict???

I'd say Hawaii would be perfect for reptiles and fish alike due to the constantly good weather, so it's a bit odd to see them be so strict. Fire Eels are so cool to just watch swim around, you should post a pic of him! 15 inches is a pretty nice size, and the fact that he has a solid food source with the Tadpoles means he's in a pretty good spot! I believe they do prefer live food/organic over pellets.

Definitely jump on that Silver Arow once you have everything set up though! I'd love to see some pics of your tanks!
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.