Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
GodzillaFreak99 wrote:I hate the MCUs depiction of the Hulk (especially in Avengers Endgame) They failed to do his character justice and even nearly ruined it imo.
I couldn't fathom over the fact he did a selfie with a bunch of girls...This is the kind of humor the MCU has finally degraded to alongside Fortnite, Fat Thor and "So he's an idiot" especially in such a dark premise of an movie where 50% of all life is gone? >.>

Yeah. I still have a hard tome processing that myself. That's one thing that's always bugged me about the MCU. The characters will be in the middle of a tense situation, and then randomly throw out one liners that kind of kill the mood. I get wanting to inject a little humor into a serious situation to lighten the mood a little, but the MCU really goes overboard with it imo.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:I hate the MCUs depiction of the Hulk (especially in Avengers Endgame) They failed to do his character justice and even nearly ruined it imo.
Hard agree. I don't think they've ever figured out what to do with him. I liked him in the original Avengers film and that's it. In Age of Ultron, they gave him a pointless love story that was (mercifully) pretty much ignored in future films. In Ragnarok, they had him seemingly come to terms with his dual personality. But then in Infinity War, he can't turn into Hulk for some stupid reason that's never explained and ignored in Endgame. And in Endgame, they just turned him into a vehicle for jokes, which the MCU has more than enough of. So yeah, he's my least favorite MCU character and "Professor Hulk" in Endgame was just cringeworthy.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:Yeah. I still have a hard tome processing that myself. That's one thing that's always bugged me about the MCU. The characters will be in the middle of a tense situation, and then randomly throw out one liners that kind of kill the mood. I get wanting to inject a little humor into a serious situation to lighten the mood a little, but the MCU really goes overboard with it imo.
That said I'm burned out by MCU films as they just keep repeating that same formula. Only ones I really look forward to at this point only are Doctor Strange 2 and Guardians 3.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
GodzillaFreak99 wrote:Yeah. I still have a hard tome processing that myself. That's one thing that's always bugged me about the MCU. The characters will be in the middle of a tense situation, and then randomly throw out one liners that kind of kill the mood. I get wanting to inject a little humor into a serious situation to lighten the mood a little, but the MCU really goes overboard with it imo.
That said I'm burned out by MCU films as they just keep repeating that same formula. Only ones I really look forward to at this point only are Doctor Strange 2 and Guardians 3.

Same here tbh. I mean, Endgame pretty much got rid of most of the characters people care about (Iron-Man and Captain America) and ruined some others (Hulk and Thor) The MCU is just starting to loose me.

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Hard agree. I don't think they've ever figured out what to do with him. I liked him in the original Avengers film and that's it. In Age of Ultron, they gave him a pointless love story that was (mercifully) pretty much ignored in future films. In Ragnarok, they had him seemingly come to terms with his dual personality. But then in Infinity War, he can't turn into Hulk for some stupid reason that's never explained and ignored in Endgame. And in Endgame, they just turned him into a vehicle for jokes, which the MCU has more than enough of. So yeah, he's my least favorite MCU character and "Professor Hulk" in Endgame was just cringeworthy.

Yeah, you can say that again.
Last edited by GodzillaFreak99 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:In Ragnarok, they had him seemingly come to terms with his dual personality. But then in Infinity War, he can't turn into Hulk for some stupid reason that's never explained and ignored in Endgame.
I don't really agree with your reading of Hulk in Ragnarok, and it's kind of a key difference, because what follows in Infinity War really relies on what Ragnarok has set up.

He does not come to terms with his dual personality in Ragnarok. Both sides are very much fighting against sharing their body/identity, and Banner only with the greatest of reluctance allows himself to become the Hulk again for the climax.

From there, the reasons for the Hulk's reluctance to emerge in Infinity War don't strike me as at all ambiguous. After years as the one in the driver's seat, he's once again been reduced to being merely Banner's tool, and then he gets his ass absolutely, unequivocally walloped for the first time. Of course that identity, feeling battered and used, is going to refuse to make itself vulnerable again.

And Endgame doesn't ignore that; it moves forward from it. I do think it's unfortunate that an important stage in the character's development happens off-screen during the five year time jump, and I honestly think Banner/Hulk working all that out could have been the substance of an entire movie.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Here's a bombshell, I don't like Transformers. Not just the modern films, but the entire franchise in general.

I've just always found the series as a blatant toy advertisement from it's onset, and I actively dislike most of the designs. The lore of the universe is reaaaaaallly bad. While I don't even like things like Mecha-Anime or Gundam, Japanese Giant robot series are infinitely more interesting.

Just because they're giant robots, there's an annoying crossover of fans on here, so I know this will be unpopular.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Here's a bombshell, I don't like Transformers. Not just the modern films, but the entire franchise in general.

I've just always found the series as a blatant toy advertisement from it's onset, and I actively dislike most of the designs. The lore of the universe is reaaaaaallly bad. While I don't even like things like Mecha-Anime or Gundam, Japanese Giant robot series are infinitely more interesting.

Just because they're giant robots, there's an annoying crossover of fans on here, so I know this will be unpopular.
I agree with most of Transformers being actually pretty mediocre. The lore is something you can't universally declare as "bad" because there's so many different continuities with varying degrees of storytelling. The movies and the original cartoon lore is fucking terrible but the IDW comic books and shows like Transformers: Animated are fantastic with their world-building and lore.

I'm of the opposite end: I think almost all Japanese giant robot shows are formulaic and stale, including Gundam and it's eighty-thousand obnoxious spin-offs. 90% of Japanese robot designs in these shows are just ugly. I think most of the good designs are the very basic ones like the RX-78, original Zaku, Mazinger duo, etc. Classic stuff. The Wing Gundams, Unicron Gundams, whatever, they're all obnoxiously overdesigned. The only shows that have ever kept my interest were Gurren Lagann and Evangelion which are as far from the stock formula as it can get.

I know this sounds reactionary, but I promise you it isn't! :lol:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:Japanese robot designs in these shows are just ugly. I think most of the good designs are the very basic ones like the RX-78, original Zaku, Mazinger duo, etc. Classic stuff. The Wing Gundams, Unicron Gundams, whatever, they're all obnoxiously overdesigned. The only shows that have ever kept my interest were Gurren Lagann and Evangelion which are as far from the stock formula as it can get.
It's funny because once you said Gurren Lagan and Eva, I realized those were what I thought of and like from the genre. I also realized I find a lot of the Japanese mech series to be tedious and boring like what you said.

I guess I just don't like giant mechas.

I like things like Moguera, MechaGodzilla and other things because they're not stock standard humanoids with big guns.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think what sets Transformers apart is that the giant robots are actually characters, not vehicles. Yeah, it's blatantly toy-driven but there's some really good storytelling in there. I've already mentioned the IDW comics and Transformers: Animated but other shows like Beast Wars are also pretty good. Animated especially has some great character writing and is decidedly different from normal Transformers shows by making the robots more like superheroes which makes them feel a little less robotic. The IDW comics have great political worldbuilding and feel like classic science fiction shows with their storylines. If there's any two pieces of Transformers media that might be able to change your view, it'd be them.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

I really never could get into Transformers myself but I don't have any strong opinions on it this way or that
Bionicle on the other hand, that I never really got the appeal of. Don't hate it, but it seems rather dense
Last edited by G2000 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

G2000 wrote:I really never could get into Transformers myself but I don't have any strong opinions on it this way or that
Bionicle on the other hand, that I never really got the appeal of. Don't hate it, but it seems rather dense
I had a ton of Bionicle when I was younger. The appeal was buying something and building it, as well as combining and making your own figures. I loved them at the time.

However, recently I found out there was a shitton of stupid lore, and obsessive fans. Type of thing where people take a toy/product way too seriously.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Bionicle is really something you have to be initially into as a youngster to get. At the time, there wasn't really anything like it, at least at a level kids could enjoy. The stories are good, but I won't act like it's some epic on par with Tolkein stories or whatever. It also got extremely dumb and complicated about 75% of the way into its lifespan. But for the most part, it was just real fun toys with good sci-fi stories for kids.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I guess I just don't like giant mechas.
This is an alien viewpoint to me. Admittedly I'm not the biggest connoisseur of mecha media and tend to prefer the non-traditional mecha like EVAs or Mechagodzilla but still. I've seen people who soy out over shit like Dragon Ball or Naruto look at mecha anime and say "eech, giant robots? Too unrealistic for me" and I can't reconcile it at all. I would like to get into Gundam and Macross and all that though the lore is intimidating and the weird idol drama in regards to the latter is a tad offputting.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

G2000 wrote:I really never could get into Transformers myself but I don't have any strong opinions on it this way or that
The same here.

I've interacted with a lot of people whom like Transformers, especially on worldbuilding threads, and I know some tidbits of the Lore throught osmosis.

But really, I just can't get myself to sit and watch G1 or anything like that.

I think Bayformers has part of the fault, even if I know just how different they are compared with the rest of the franchise
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

The most mistakes at work happen on Fridays but sure, keep hating Mondays.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Darth Kiryu wrote:The most mistakes at work happen on Fridays but sure, keep hating Mondays.
Why should that have anything to do with people's emotional reaction to returning to the stress or the tedium of work after a pleasant weekend?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah Friday is the final work day of the week. People hate Mondays largely because it keeps them from fully enjoying Sunday full well knowing they have to get up early the next day and go it work. No matter how hard your Friday may be you know that once its all done you don't have to do jack shit for two whole days (not to mention being able to fully enjoy your Friday night).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

My philosophy is deal with it or find a job you actually like. Or start your own business like I’m working towards. I look forward to Mondays because I’m working on getting into an entrepreneurial routine around my full time job.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

Everyone complaining about Mondays vs Fridays and I'm sitting here thinking Saturday shifts are the worst.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Darth Kiryu wrote:My philosophy is deal with it or find a job you actually like. Or start your own business like I’m working towards. I look forward to Mondays because I’m working on getting into an entrepreneurial routine around my full time job.
Okay, how about you apply your philosophy to your life, and try not to be so condescending to people whose circumstances, strengths and priorities differ from yours?