Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Gigantis »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:33 pm
I was honestly almost getting interested in the series right about when season 3 debuted, but it fell off the radar and I didn't think much about it until all the "what went wrong" videos started happening. Can't say it doesn't make me a little nervous for Amphibia's third season...
Ehh i'm sure Amphibia will be fine. Matt Barely said Season 3 will be the last anyway.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Don't know if it's an unpopular opinion but I think ever website should have a dark mode for night time.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Living Corpse wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 pm Don't know if it's an unpopular opinion but I think ever website should have a dark mode for night time.
No not unpopular at all. In fact I just in general prefer dark mode.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

I find "good" movies (crimson tide, 2001 a space odyssey, The Godfather etc.) to be very uninteresting
your source of self destruction

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

master_of_monsters wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 am I find "good" movies (crimson tide, 2001 a space odyssey, The Godfather etc.) to be very uninteresting
Could you elaborate on this? I personally have had a growing interest in "art films" (I hate this term)/auteur cinema/highbrow films (still just dipping my toes though), and I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what it is, why people enjoy it, and what it means for the "non art films". Now I want to clarify, I'm not doing this to belittle your tastes, or "convert" you, but rather understand where you are coming from and either explain why some people find these types of films fascinating or perhaps even recommend some movies you may be interested in. I understand that there tends to be a lot of elitism with this topic, and I want to remove all of that. If at the end of the day you don't enjoy movies others like or consider to be the best, there is no problem with that at all, watch what you like, but don't be afraid to venture out and try new things every once and a while either.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:16 pm
master_of_monsters wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 am I find "good" movies (crimson tide, 2001 a space odyssey, The Godfather etc.) to be very uninteresting
Could you elaborate on this? I personally have had a growing interest in "art films" (I hate this term) or auteur cinema (still just dipping my toes though), and I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what it is, why people enjoy it, and what it means for the "non art films". Now I want to clarify, I'm not doing this to belittle your tastes, or "convert" you, but rather understand where you are coming from and either explain why some people find these types of films fascinating or perhaps even recommend some movies you may be interested in. I understand that there tends to be a lot of elitism with this topic, and I want to remove all of that. If at the end of the day you don't enjoy movies others like or consider prime cinema, there is no problem with that at all, watch what you like, but just don't be afraid to venture out and try new things every once and a while either.
eh, I just like to turn my brain off for a $20 ticket shove popcorn into my mouth and nerd out to monster fights. Thats a 5 star movie experience for me. Except for that monster hunter movie that came out a couple weeks ago, that I refuse to watch
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I love arthouse think-piece films. All of em, even the weird ones like Only God Forgives.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:24 pm I love arthouse think-piece films. All of em, even the weird ones like Only God Forgives.
I'm not a fan of Only God Forgives, but you ever see Eraserhead by David Lynch, or The Holy Mountain by Alejandro Jorrowdosky?
I have a feeling you'd like the latter:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_ ... 1973_film)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'll be honest, I wasn't the biggest fan of Eraserhead...

Like, at all.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:23 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:24 pm I love arthouse think-piece films. All of em, even the weird ones like Only God Forgives.
I'm not a fan of Only God Forgives, but you ever see Eraserhead by David Lynch, or The Holy Mountain by Alejandro Jorrowdosky?
I have a feeling you'd like the latter:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holy_ ... 1973_film)
I have not, what's funny though is my girlfriend jokes that I slightly resemble Eraserhead because of my hair :lol:, it does seem pretty interesting, maybe I can get her to watch it with me. But wow I've never heard of The Holy Mountain, one scroll through Google Images and it looks... Vibrantly Surrealist, that one I'll definitely have to check out.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Good taste. Only God Forgives is one of the best films of the 2010s, far as I'm concerned. Refn is great. Would recommend Fear X (also by Refn) if you haven't seen it.

Honestly my viewing diet these days basically consists of kaiju/toku, "niche genre" and arthouse films. All that really interests me anymore most of the time.
Resized Image

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

master_of_monsters wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:21 pm eh, I just like to turn my brain off for a $20 ticket shove popcorn into my mouth and nerd out to monster fights. Thats a 5 star movie experience for me. Except for that monster hunter movie that came out a couple weeks ago, that I refuse to watch
Have you looked into some of the old samurai or western films? You really like action, and while there are some more character focused moments in these movies, they also have interesting fight scenes. I'm a little hesitant to suggest these though as I admittedly need to watch more of them myself.

If those aren't any good, Tarantino is pretty famous for the spectacle in his films among a lot of other qualities, and if you enjoy his stuff, there are countless movies to recommend that he was inspired by.

Added in 4 minutes 11 seconds:
By the way, is there a place on this forum to discuss movies we have recently watched outside of tokusatsu? I know there is a what have you read thread, but is there an active film equivalent?
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:15 pm By the way, is there a place on this forum to discuss movies we have recently watched outside of tokusatsu? I know there is a what have you read thread, but is there an active film equivalent?
Here ya go:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=314
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

GodzillavsZilla wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:18 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:15 pm By the way, is there a place on this forum to discuss movies we have recently watched outside of tokusatsu? I know there is a what have you read thread, but is there an active film equivalent?
Here ya go:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=314
Thanks!
He Jock it Made of Steel

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:15 pm
master_of_monsters wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:21 pm eh, I just like to turn my brain off for a $20 ticket shove popcorn into my mouth and nerd out to monster fights. Thats a 5 star movie experience for me. Except for that monster hunter movie that came out a couple weeks ago, that I refuse to watch
Have you looked into some of the old samurai or western films? You really like action, and while there are some more character focused moments in these movies, they also have interesting fight scenes. I'm a little hesitant to suggest these though as I admittedly need to watch more of them myself.

If those aren't any good, Tarantino is pretty famous for the spectacle in his films among a lot of other qualities, and if you enjoy his stuff, there are countless movies to recommend that he was inspired by.

Added in 4 minutes 11 seconds:
By the way, is there a place on this forum to discuss movies we have recently watched outside of tokusatsu? I know there is a what have you read thread, but is there an active film equivalent?
I actually did sit through kill bill, I love Gogo and I did try pulp fiction but gradually lost interest after "I don't remember asking you a goddamn thing!"

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

master_of_monsters wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:42 pm I actually did sit through kill bill, I love Gogo and I did try pulp fiction but gradually lost interest after "I don't remember asking you a goddamn thing!"
Interesting. What do you think about thrillers, or crime dramas? I understand the Godfather wasn't your cup of tea but there are some with shorter run times and faster pacing. Something like Fargo is pretty engaging as the plot gets more ridiculous (for a lack of a better word). American Psycho I find to be a really enjoyable thrill ride, and seriously campy fun. If you don't mind older movies, Hitchcock has some really engaging works as well, and I find his works often have quite witty scripts with lots of character banter.

Again I'm not trying to force you to watch anything, just give out some recommendations :).
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:15 pm

Watch Lady Snowblood if you haven't already!
Content warning: Movie Gore/Blood

A lot of Kill Bill is a reference to this fantastic film!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

While we're on this subject, anyone have any recommendations for French movies? I started the French course on Duolingo a few weeks ago, and I'd like to have something to watch as I familiarize myself with the language.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:40 am While we're on this subject, anyone have any recommendations for French movies? I started the French course on Duolingo a few weeks ago, and I'd like to have something to watch as I familiarize myself with the language.
Watch The Brotherhood of the Wolf. Well made movie based on the real life Beast of Gevaudan case

And if you're a horror fan with a strong stomach, maybe some of the movies from the New French Extremity movement
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:40 am While we're on this subject, anyone have any recommendations for French movies? I started the French course on Duolingo a few weeks ago, and I'd like to have something to watch as I familiarize myself with the language.
The only French film I have seen so far is Le Samourai and while I'd definitely recommend it (slow but beautifully shot), its really minimal on the dialogue so not really the best at familiarizing yourself with the language.
He Jock it Made of Steel