Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by JAGzilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:16 pm
GodzillavsZilla wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:58 pm It's especially become a problem when there are videos that go on for hours picking apart every microsecond of a fight scene.
The only kind of videos I’ve seen that matches that description come from channels centered on swordplay and medieval weaponry. I can get behind those kinds of analysis because I feel like I’m learning something, especially as a writer with my own fantasy fiction.
A fellow Shadiversity fan, I see. I haven't watched any of his fight scene autopsies, but if the rest of his channel is anything to go by, he only nitpicks because he knows what he's talking about and because he actually cares about believability and (where applicable) realism.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

XxComablack1937xX wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:24 pmI liked Brightburn for what it was
The problem I had with that film is how rushed it was and disappointing given how James Gunn was involved.

Instead of evil Superman we ended up getting what if Goku never hit his head and a mother whose in so much denial that it's to the point of plain ignorance despite the evidence she saw that her adoptive son was a psychopath crushing a girls hand, pushing her somewhat 200-pound husband with ease, witnessing him drawn to the ship and trying to break into the door leading to it chatting in an alien language AND being drawn again this time witnessing him levitating above it chatting in said alien language once again and says a wolf killed the chicken despite the fact a wolf would be incapable of ripping a gate door off its hinges. Also the sheriff concluding Brandon is the killer because of two B's matching since both his first and last name starts with a B.

And they try to make us sympathize with a tantrum-prone mood swinging psycho brat who gets angry when he doesn't get his way whose intention tends to be inconsistent.

The father was probably the only smart character in that movie aside from deciding to reload for second shot.

Chronicle and Irredeemable did it better. What we got was basically just Alien Omen or as mentioned Goku never hitting his head. Misleading marketing the trailer gave us. And again James Gunn produced this? The only good thing I'll give this film was it had really cool and creative kills but that's it.

You liked it that's fine but I don't get it.

Added in 4 minutes 4 seconds:
As for It: Chapter Two. That one felt more like a damn comedy compared oppose to a horror to the first part. Yeah, the first part had humor but nowhere close to what this one had.

And the out of place humor like Angel in the Morning with Eddie getting puked on, the moment where Eddie and Henry just laugh it out when stabbing the former in the mouth, the horrible CGI such as the googly-eyed naked granny (Please explain to me how that is skreeonking horror?), Henry attributing nothing to the plot aside from being here and the disappointing Pennywise Spidertaur (I expected some kind of spider lovecraftian horror), and how they defeat IT (To defeat IT you have to be the bigger bully!).

Among my many issues I had. This comes from someone who was anticipated for that film.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

On the topic of youtubers, anyone who gets their opinions from youtubers, as in, going out of their way to mimic their opinions, then they lack the intellectual capacity to form their own opinions and thus shouldn’t be listened to. And that goes for any type of media or art.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:51 pm

The father was probably the only smart character in that movie aside from deciding to reload for second shot.
This is very true.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:51 pmChronicle and Irredeemable did it better. What we got was basically just Alien Omen or as mentioned Goku never hitting his head. Misleading marketing the trailer gave us. And again James Gunn produced this? The only good thing I'll give this film was it had really cool and creative kills but that's it.
Never saw either Chronicle or Irredeemable but I appreciate you mentioning them so I can give them a viewing so Thank you.

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:51 pmAs for It: Chapter Two. That one felt more like a damn comedy compared oppose to a horror to the first part. Yeah, the first part had humor but nowhere close to what this one had.

And the out of place humor like Angel in the Morning with Eddie getting puked on, the moment where Eddie and Henry just laugh it out when stabbing the former in the mouth, the horrible CGI such as the googly-eyed naked granny (Please explain to me how that is skreeonking horror?), Henry attributing nothing to the plan aside from being here and the disappointing Pennywise Spidertaur (I expected some kind of spider lovecraftian horror), and how they defeat IT (To defeat IT you have to be the bigger bully!).

Among my many issues I had. This comes from someone who was anticipated for that film.
An I agree with every single one of those complaints, Eddie getting puked on was the worst moment for me as it took me right out of the movie. The naked CGI witch was terrible but then I enjoyed seeing Bob Gray in the scene right after. They personally should have skipped right to that and left the naked CGI witch out. Henry should have been left out entirely and they should have better explained how Eddie was Richie's token not the coin itself and how they all overcame there passed Trauma an fear an used it against Pennywise. It was just poorly executed.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

XxComablack1937xX wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:25 pmNever saw either Chronicle or Irredeemable but I appreciate you mentioning them so I can give them a viewing so Thank you.
BTW Irredeemable is a comic not a movie.

Figured I' let you know.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:27 pm BTW Irredeemable is a comic not a movie.

Figured I' let you know.
It's appreciated, Thank you.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillavsZilla wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:58 pm It's especially become a problem when there are videos that go on for hours picking apart every microsecond of a fight scene.
The only kind of videos I’ve seen that matches that description come from channels centered on swordplay and medieval weaponry. I can get behind those kinds of analysis because I feel like I’m learning something, especially as a writer with my own fantasy fiction.
You must not have seen the last few action movie ones. They literally spend at least 3 "sins" on every minute of a fight scene. Shit like why are they shooting, why aren't they getting hit and other banal shit.

RIP Evan.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

I understand that, but a whole two hours of someone picking apart one scene just doesn't seem like it's worth it. I'd be... ok with twenty minutes but hours? That's just not for me.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:33 pm
You must not have seen the last few action movie ones. They literally spend at least 3 "sins" on every minute of a fight scene. poop like why are they shooting, why aren't they getting hit and other banal poop.
I don't watch CinemaSins, so no. Haven't seen a video of theirs in about 7-8 years.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:51 pm As for It: Chapter Two. That one felt more like a damn comedy compared oppose to a horror to the first part. Yeah, the first part had humor but nowhere close to what this one had.

And the out of place humor like Angel in the Morning with Eddie getting puked on, the moment where Eddie and Henry just laugh it out when stabbing the former in the mouth, the horrible CGI such as the googly-eyed naked granny (Please explain to me how that is skreeonking horror?), Henry attributing nothing to the plot aside from being here and the disappointing Pennywise Spidertaur (I expected some kind of spider lovecraftian horror), and how they defeat IT (To defeat IT you have to be the bigger bully!).
Yes, those are some legitimate grievances (except Bowers's role. He didn't exactly have a much bigger role in the book IIRC)

But put that against the incredible story, and the amazing performances of all the adult losers (especially Bill Hader as Richie) and yeah sorry, this movie has some noticeable flaws but it absolutely doesn't deserve 'getting a new asshole teared'
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:17 pm On the topic of youtubers, anyone who gets their opinions from youtubers, as in, going out of their way to mimic their opinions, then they lack the intellectual capacity to form their own opinions and thus shouldn’t be listened to. And that goes for any type of media or art.
Wow, yeah this basically hits the nail right on the head. Getting different perspectives and information from different sources is great, and something I greatly appreciate about YouTube and the internet in general. But becoming a chameleon to a youtuber's opinion is something else entirely.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I really love the 2003 Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. It's not as good as the original sure, but it's by far the best horror remake i've seen.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:55 am I really love the 2003 Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. It's not as good as the original sure, but it's by far the best horror remake i've seen.
I don't consider it the best horror remake (I think Carpenter's The Thing or Cronenberg's The Fly outrank that easily) but of the 2000's slew of slasher remakes, Texas Chainsaw is one of the stronger ones I think. It's just grimy and dirty. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is pretty great, too.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Maritonic wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:57 am
Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:55 am I really love the 2003 Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. It's not as good as the original sure, but it's by far the best horror remake i've seen.
I don't consider it the best horror remake (I think Carpenter's The Thing or Cronenberg's The Fly outrank that easily) but of the 2000's slew of slasher remakes, Texas Chainsaw is one of the stronger ones I think. It's just grimy and dirty. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is pretty great, too.
John Carpenter's The Thing isn't just one of the best horror remakes, but one of the best horror films, period, right up there with The Exorcist.

The 2003 Texas Chainsaw remake at least tried to do something different from the original as opposed to the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street remakes, which pretty much follow the exact same formula and premise as their original counterparts (except for a shoehorned-in Freddy pedophilia subplot that I'm not sure really helps anything). While far from perfect, it's easily better than those two slasher remakes.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KManX89 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:59 am
John Carpenter's The Thing isn't just one of the best horror remakes, but one of the best horror films, period, right up there with The Exorcist.
Leagues better than The Exorcist, if you ask me...

That's another unpopular opinion for this thread, I guess. I'm a big horror fan, but I do not care for The Exorcist. It's a competently made movie, yes, but I can think of countless horror films I think are better. The Haunting (1963), The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), Alien (1979), Jaws (1975), Night of the Living Dead (1968), Black Christmas (1974), and even Matango (1963), to name a few from a similar time period off the top of my head.

I don't know... maybe it's because I'm an athiest? I never thought The Exorcist was particularly scary – and I say this as someone who got really unnerved by The Haunting, so I'm not the type to be unfazed by horror.

Even more troubling... The Exorcist strikes me as being uncomfortably regressive in its themes. It's a pro-faith, pro-patriarchy, and misogynistic film that suggests science is no substitute for God, that single mothers cannot raise children alone without a strong father figure, and that female sexuality and puberty is an inherently profane and ugly thing.

I'm fully aware that this might be my biggest horror movie hot take, but I stand by it.
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:59 am
KManX89 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:59 am

Leagues better than The Exorcist, if you ask me...

That's another unpopular opinion for this thread, I guess. I'm a big horror fan, but I do not care for The Exorcist. It's a competently made movie, yes, but I can think of countless horror films I think are better. The Haunting (1963), The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), Alien (1979), Jaws (1975), Night of the Living Dead (1968), Black Christmas (1974), and even Matango (1963), to name a few from a similar time period off the top of my head.

I don't know... maybe it's because I'm an athiest? I never thought The Exorcist was particularly scary – and I say this as someone who got really unnerved by The Haunting, so I'm not the type to be unfazed by horror.

Even more troubling... The Exorcist strikes me as being uncomfortably regressive in its themes. It's a pro-faith, pro-patriarchy, and misogynistic film that suggests science is no substitute for God, that single mothers cannot raise children alone without a strong father figure, and that female sexuality and puberty is an inherently profane and ugly thing.

I'm fully aware that this might be my biggest horror movie hot take, but I stand by it.
I like The Exorcist, but I agree that it's overrated, and certainly all of the movies you listed appeal to me a lot more.

That said, it's also a movie I tend to like more with each viewing. I used to find the character of Regan terribly herself under-explored, for example, but on my last viewing I picked up on more characterization for her early on.

I find the movie somewhat awkwardly structured, though, and it has a few surprising narrative gaps, such as the lack of buildup to Regan's first hospital visit.

And I definitely agree about the regressive themes.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

I don't know if it's unpopular so much as the whole series is fairly unknown, But The Adventures of Tintin was a fantastic movie and deserves to become a proper franchise.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Saying this as someone who likes most of Disney's modern cartoon catlogue.. Star vs. the Forces of Evil is really overrated.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 am Saying this as someone who likes most of Disney's modern cartoon catlogue.. Star vs. the Forces of Evil is really overrated.
It peaked at Season 2 and the Battle for Mewni...as soons as they killed Toffee 2 minutes after he was brought back, after all the hype, was the moment the series went downhill
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Manuelito Canelito wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:47 pm
Gigantis wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 am Saying this as someone who likes most of Disney's modern cartoon catlogue.. Star vs. the Forces of Evil is really overrated.
It peaked at Season 2 and the Battle for Mewni...as soons as they killed Toffee 2 minutes after he was brought back, after all the hype, was the moment the series went downhill
I was honestly almost getting interested in the series right about when season 3 debuted, but it fell off the radar and I didn't think much about it until all the "what went wrong" videos started happening. Can't say it doesn't make me a little nervous for Amphibia's third season...