Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Terasawa »

I kinda perversely enjoy that Spider-man movie no one talks about anymore. You know, this one?

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:55 am
Vakanai wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:58 pm Unpopular opinion - the MCU Spider-Man movies are the weakest of the MCU movies
I'd say this is fairly popular actually, MCU Spidey seems to be like the quirky H&M Peter Parker with the depth of a middle school locker. But since he had such a tight bond with Stark and the MCU is so massive, there's bound to be Stans who attach themselves at the hip. His films feel like Disney XD Originals, and less like the independent true-to-himself, self-raised, queens born native with a heart of steel that we've seen in the original 6 films.

People can say what they will about TASM and TASM2, but they had heart, artistic integrity, absolutely iconic scores, and a unique direction that felt like something straight from his comic books, they were faithful but had twists. Same goes for Tobey's, these films felt independent, self contained, but chocked full with content and potential. MCU Spidey feels like The Wonderful and Mischievous Adventures of the Spider Boy and his Illustrious Motley Crew

Another thing I don't get is the complaint that Garfield was a hipster and not a geek?? Is there like, a look for an introverted geek? is this still the 50s? He was a relatable geek, because they're not all stereotypical.
Yeah, the “Iron Boy” complaints aren’t uncommon I feel.

Y’all want unpopular tho?

I think the MCU Spidey movies > Raimi trilogy.

I respect what Spider-Man 1/2 did for comic book movies, and the Spider-Man mythos, but I felt the MCU Peter has been more engaging and fun to follow. Homecoming is one of my faves, and while I feel FFH could have been better, I still found it pretty enjoyable.

Honestly SpiderVerse is my favorite of all Spidey movies, period. But between the live action picks, I’ve been more into the MCU entries. Idk if that’s a generational thing or not, but hey.
...you monster! :destoroyah:

:P
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I consider the Death Race remake a guilty pleasure, mainly because of the concept and action scenes and the story beats didn't bore me. No way would I call this a good movie, but it is a fun, entertaining one kinda like G.I. Joe: the Rise of Cobra. I'm kinda anxious to see how the Twisted Metal TV series plays out because I dig the whole crazy-people-in-car-deathmatches idea. I really hope they do Sweet Tooth justice.

The sequels are pure trash, though. There's a reason they were straight-to-video.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

My dudes I have one mega hot take.

Murder is bad 8-)
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

KManX89 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:43 pm I consider the Death Race remake a guilty pleasure, mainly because of the concept and action scenes and the story beats didn't bore me. No way would I call this a good movie, but it is a fun, entertaining one kinda like G.I. Joe: the Rise of Cobra. I'm kinda anxious to see how the Twisted Metal TV series plays out because I dig the whole crazy-people-in-car-deathmatches idea. I really hope they do Sweet Tooth justice.

The sequels are pure trash, though. There's a reason they were straight-to-video.
I, too, enjoy the Death Race remake. For what it is, it makes for a fun action film, and that's all I can really ask for in a movie with a title like "Death Race" at the end of the day.

Never watched the sequels, and don't plan to.
Last edited by Spuro on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

The Netflix Powerhouse series (Castlevania, Blood of Zeus) aren't anime and no one can change my mind.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:36 pm The Netflix Powerhouse series (Castlevania, Blood of Zeus) aren't anime and no one can change my mind.
I don't really have a horse in this race because I'm not really a super anime fan (if I did have a horse in this race though his name would be Jim, because Jim seems like a good name for a horse), but what is your definition of "anime"? Is it defined stylistically, geographically, culturally?
He Jock it Made of Steel

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:38 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:36 pm The Netflix Powerhouse series (Castlevania, Blood of Zeus) aren't anime and no one can change my mind.
I don't really have a horse in this race because I'm not really a super anime fan (if I did have a horse in this race though his name would be Jim, because Jim seems like a good name for a horse), but what is your definition of "anime"? Is it defined stylistically, geographically, culturally?
I'd say stylistically. Like, I can consider RWBY anime but not Avatar.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Castlevania most definitely is an anime. One of the finest I might add.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

is Jim a more of a speed or endurance kind of horse?
your source of self destruction

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

master_of_monsters wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:59 pm
Totally endurance, Jim is in it for the long run.
He Jock it Made of Steel

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:22 pm
master_of_monsters wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:59 pm

Totally endurance, Jim is in it for the long run.
good horse ya got there
your source of self destruction

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

A lot of people usually define anime as "being made in Japan" but from my prospective that's a bit idiotic because a lot of anime is also produced/animated partially in Korea or other areas. Japanese people also refer to things like SpongeBob as anime, which is always amusing to me. Things get dicer in modern times, when you have international corporations outsourcing and funding anime that is made in Japan by Japanese directors that is explicitly made for streaming platforms.

For example: Devilman Crybaby or the Godzilla POTM trilogy. Things get further complicated when you consider while Pacific Rim The Black was developed and overseen by Americans, it was directed and created by Polygon studios.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^One of my favourite Anime’s is from Russia.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Yeah well my favorite anime is Avatar: The Last Airbender. :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

My favorite anime is The Flinstones.

Lets get fucking wild in here and buck naked while we're at it.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

goji89 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:42 pm Lets get skreeonking wild in here and buck naked while we're at it.
We aren't already? :shock:
He Jock it Made of Steel

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:44 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:42 pm Lets get skreeonking wild in here and buck naked while we're at it.
We aren't already? :shock:
Boy, what the actual fuck.

Of course we are.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

I love some of Christopher Nolan's marginalized movies; (e.g.) Interstellar, but I have a strong level of dislike for Tenet that left me so confused because it's not good and makes little to no sense.

Also; I like the ultimate cut of Blade Runner, but hated BR 2049 and compare it to Quantum of Solace in logic at some scenes, I even like that messy Bond movie notably more than BR2049.

If you want to argue with the semantics of what defines anime; Double Dragon and Mortal Kombat cartoons are anime. :p