General Cryptid Topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
UltramanGoji

Re: General Cryptid Topic

Post by UltramanGoji »

JAGzilla wrote: And then to reply to Gawdziller1954, you and the other skeptics are the ones who keep saying that decades of zoological research into cryptids has failed to yield any kind of truly hard evidence, and therefore these things can't possibly be animals. And yet sighting reports and other forms of tenuous evidence continue to roll in on a daily basis. What should we do? Is it a good scientific approach to just ignore them and say, "Well, our first theory didn't pan out, so therefore this phenomenon is officially nonexistent, case closed!"?
Sightings of Bigfoot continue to roll in because any time someone tries to rightfully debunk all the crap about it, Bigfoot believers pull some explanation out of their head as to why the investigation is invalid therefore not laying the tired debate to rest and continuing to mislead people who misidentify animals or see something that likely isn't what they think.

If there is some supposed "evidence" that proves the existence of a highly-intelligent primate living in the North American wilderness, I have yet to see it and I have yet to see anyone here who believes provide it themselves. There is more explanatory information to suggest the phenomenon is a hoax than any evidence that proves it's existence.
tyrantgoji wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:That being said, Orang Pendek has a very good chance of existing.
Actually, been looking into this one and even most people who think Bigfoot is false are saying that this thing has a really good chance of being real. Any place i can get more info? Really excited to dive into this! :)
Most people who believe Orang Pendek exist don't believe it to be some sort of Bigfoot-type creature but an undiscovered population of pygmies or something akin to the Bili ape. Out of all the possible cryptids, I think it has the highest chance of existing but I still believe a majority of the stories surrounding it to be dodgy.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun May 17, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Most people who believe Orang Pendek exist don't believe it to be some sort of Bigfoot-type creature but an undiscovered population of pygmies or something akin to the Bili ape. Out of all the possible cryptids, I think it has the highest chance of existing but I still believe a majority of the stories surrounding it to be dodgy.
I was thinking that it might just be some weird orangutan subspecies myself. Apparently, most accounts paint them really similarly anyway so i wouldn't be surprised.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

JAGzilla wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote: 1. Ok, but like, WHAT do you want me to say at that? Just like you said, I have no way to confirm your tale because I don't know you, and even if I did, I wasn't there when that happened. I can't really respond to it, the most I can comment is that it depends entirely trusting you, the point of the image

2. Yup. And now tell me, do we go to those species all the time to talk to them? To manipulate their """power structure""", or to make them our slaves?

No, and so, why would the aliens?

Hell, for this species that has technology capable of traversing the cosmos, and has such interest in us, WHY would they need to constantly come here to observe us? We have telescopes, satellites, Skype. I don't want to imagine what aliens could come up with.

If aliens have visited Earth, they've done once, maybe twice. They certainly wouldn't be coming enough so that every UFO conspiracionists has it's share.
1. Fair.

2. There are all kinds of studies that go into animal communication and communication with animals. We teach parrots to talk, teach apes sign language, teach dolphins to recognize sign language, teach dogs to push buttons for communication, etc, etc, etc, so of course we talk to them. And if we had another fully sentient species available, of course we would want to talk to them. And we manipulate animal power structures and enslave them every day, what do you think domestication is?

In any case, the idea that aliens interfere with our governments and secretly manipulate our everyday lives is just one of many theories surrounding the subject of UFOs/alien visitation, and not one that every UFO enthusiast believes in. I doubt it, myself.

As far as the aliens physically visiting Earth to study us, we just don't know how big an investment of resources that is for them. For us, interstellar travel is this colossal, Herculean task that requires technologies we haven't invented yet. But a few centuries ago, so was crossing the ocean. We figured that out, and now thousands of ships and aircraft are doing it as we speak, we don't even think about it anymore. If I had the money for a plane ticket, I could go have dinner in Guangzhou and be home by morning, no problem. For a civilization a few centuries ahead of us, perhaps making use of teleportation or some other technology currently beyond our capabilities, visiting Earth to check up on the Humans might very well be a casual day trip, no more difficult than our scientists flying a helicopter over Kruger National Park to check up on the elephants.

And for that matter, there's no reason that they have to be making the interstellar commute on a daily basis. If this is a long term study/project/whatever, maybe they just brought over a well-supplied mother ship and have it parked in orbit around Earth or somewhere similarly close by, and they just use it as their base of operations. And if it is hard for the aliens themselves to get here, well, there's no reason every UFO we see has to be manned. Many could simply be drones, or piloted by robots. There are any number of reports that indicate this. For example, the Flatwoods Monster, if you look at the original story rather than what the media twisted it into, appeared to be a robot.

And then to reply to Gawdziller1954, you and the other skeptics are the ones who keep saying that decades of zoological research into cryptids has failed to yield any kind of truly hard evidence, and therefore these things can't possibly be animals. And yet sighting reports and other forms of tenuous evidence continue to roll in on a daily basis. What should we do? Is it a good scientific approach to just ignore them and say, "Well, our first theory didn't pan out, so therefore this phenomenon is officially nonexistent, case closed!"?
2. And we manipulate animal power structures and enslave them for domestication because we get something out of it. Now, what do the aliens get out of flying giant toasters for everyone to see?

And guess what? Now we're studying elephants at Krueger National Park through satellites, through ways to look at them from afar, because it's more cost friendly and allows us to watch them without disturbing them.

And believe me, if the aliens that everyone rants about don't want to disturb us, they're doing a piss poor job at it.

The Flatwood Monster was an owl. That's been proved already various times through careful examination, deduction and experimentation.

Dude, I absolutely mean no disrespect to you, you're fun to debate with sometimes, but have you ever heard of Occam's Razor? If time and time and time again every experiment, search, possible DNA source, photo etc ends up being fake, what other conclusion can be drawn other than "It doesn't exist" ?.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Orang Pendek is actually believed to be a relative of the orangutans. Many people conflate it with Homo Floresiensis and similarly dwarf human species but those sorts of figures are also present in sumatran mythology and they weren't as hairy or apelike as Orang Pendek is (and for that matter, sumatran mythology says they're extinct).
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I believe in aliens but not the pop culture depiction of them, so no UFOs, Roswell, Area 51, men in black, etc.

But life has to be out there. However it is so rare, so spread apart, and goes extinct so quickly that we're never going to discover or come into contact with it, let alone an intelligent species similar to or exceeding us (and they'll probably treat us like we do chimps in that instance).

If we do A) it's going to be much more mundane than we anticipate or B) it'll be so bizarre (you know, alien) that we might not even recognize it as life. And the craziest thing is life will just go on as usual on earth - they'll even be people denying the discovery.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tbeasley wrote:it'll be so bizarre (you know, alien) that we might not even recognize it as life.
This.

It's weird to me how resolutely some people cling to the idea that organic life as we know it on Earth must be fundamentally representative of the nature of anything in the Universe that could hypothetically be termed "alive."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

G2000 wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:No... NO NO NONON OO NO. That's not true. It CAN'T be. Don't say that. Why are you even in a cryptid thread WHY.

This is a phenomena with audio evidence. Eyewitnesses. It exists on every continent. The yeti, the chinese wild man, the zugwe. These stories you hear, you just have to believe them. You have to. There is something.
Are you okay man

You’re acting like you’re having an existential crisis over the prospect that Bigfoot doesn’t exist

And frankly it doesn’t, if there were a large intelligent bipedal ape living in North America that had frequent run-ins with humans someone would have been able to collect some hair or shoot one or capture one alive or some other way of irrefutably proving their existence

But they don’t, so no one has. I don’t have to believe any of the purported “witnesses” who have either misidentified a bear or a hunter or a hobo or are just flat-out lying. There is nothing.
I'm fine. I was just.. Really upset.

I wish people would accept the fact that there is way more to this planet and this universe than we will ever realize. My heart tells me this species or entity is out there and has a very special relationship with some people. More people need to dare to dream and stop thinking they know everything about what is on this planet of ours. Just because something is improbable doesn't mean it's impossible.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

eabaker wrote:It's weird to me how resolutely some people cling to the idea that organic life as we know it on Earth must be fundamentally representative of the nature of anything in the Universe that could hypothetically be termed "alive."
I've come to really dislike lines like this because I see them all the time in alien topics. Did someone actually ask people if this how they think alien life will turn out or are they just assuming this is how other people think?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:
eabaker wrote:It's weird to me how resolutely some people cling to the idea that organic life as we know it on Earth must be fundamentally representative of the nature of anything in the Universe that could hypothetically be termed "alive."
I've come to really dislike lines like this because I see them all the time in alien topics. Did someone actually ask people if this how they think alien life will turn out or are they just assuming this is how other people think?
"Lines like this"? Rather than talk to me like I'm a human being who just made a statement based on personal experience, you're reducing me to, what, some kind of automaton reciting a script?

It is very common for people to dismiss the possibility of alien life based on the statistical rarity of specifically Earth-like environments in other solar systems. It's not an assumption for one to say that people make this argument when one has seen people making this argument.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

eabaker wrote:"Lines like this"? Rather than talk to me like I'm a human being who just made a statement based on personal experience, you're reducing me to, what, some kind of automaton reciting a script?
That wasn't a slight at you. I just get sick of seeing posts that assume they know how other people think.
It is very common for people to dismiss the possibility of alien life based on the statistical rarity of specifically Earth-like environments in other solar systems. It's not an assumption for one to say that people make this argument when one has seen people making this argument.
That's not what I was talking about. I was talking about the supposed assumption people have that alien life will be like life on Earth. I'm sure there are people like that, but sometimes people make it sound like everyone has that assumption. I don't assume much about alien life, it's alien, I know jack shit about it.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
I wish people would accept the fact that there is way more to this planet and this universe than we will ever realize.
That's certainly true, but i doubt that Bigfoot is one of them. Most podcast aren't really full of the most reliable information and are just mass guesses, and we should've seen more evidence by now.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sun May 17, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: I'm fine. I was just.. Really upset.
You're talking cryptids on a Godzilla forum, bro. It's not that big of a deal.
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: I wish people would accept the fact that there is way more to this planet and this universe than we will ever realize.
Oh, I believe there's more to this planet than we currently know but I don't think that "more" involves eight foot tall coniferous gorillas.
eabaker wrote: It's weird to me how resolutely some people cling to the idea that organic life as we know it on Earth must be fundamentally representative of the nature of anything in the Universe that could hypothetically be termed "alive."
I think most people realize this, but the problem is that it leads to utterly zero interesting discussion because everything eventually devolves into "could be, IDK". I think anyone really discussing the "nonexistence of life in the universe" is most likely referring to stuff like grey aliens and all that.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun May 17, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: I'm fine. I was just.. Really upset.
You're talking cryptids on a Godzilla forum, bro. It's not that big of a deal.
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: I wish people would accept the fact that there is way more to this planet and this universe than we will ever realize.
Oh, I believe there's more to this planet than we currently know but I don't think that "more" involves eight foot tall coniferous gorillas.
eabaker wrote: It's weird to me how resolutely some people cling to the idea that organic life as we know it on Earth must be fundamentally representative of the nature of anything in the Universe that could hypothetically be termed "alive."
I think most people realize this, but the problem is that it leads to utterly zero interesting discussion because everything eventually devolves into "could be, IDK". I think anyone really discussing the "nonexistence of life in the universe" is most likely referring to stuff like grey aliens and all that.
We don't know that bigfoot is an ape that walks upright. What about the forest person theory? This cryptid seems to be connected to the paranormal or spirituality in a way in many cases too.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Aaaaand you've lost me. I can reasonably debate the scientific side of Bigfoot but when you step into the crackpot interdimensional/spirital aspect you become less and less easier to take seriously.

I'm not trying to make this a personal attack, so please don't take it that way. The more out-there theories about Bigfoot seem less like reasonable explanations and more like get-out-of-jail-free cards believers pull when they are cornered. It's something neither side can prove and to bring it up just puts a huge dead end to the entire discussion.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Weird, now I can't find the post I was replying to.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun May 17, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

eabaker wrote:Weird, now I can't find the post I was replying to.
UG's last post above DOW.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tyrantgoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:Weird, now I can't find the post I was replying to.
UG's last post above DOW.
He seems to have edited out the part I was replying to.

It never happened!
Last edited by eabaker on Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
2. And we manipulate animal power structures and enslave them for domestication because we get something out of it. Now, what do the aliens get out of flying giant toasters for everyone to see?

And guess what? Now we're studying elephants at Krueger National Park through satellites, through ways to look at them from afar, because it's more cost friendly and allows us to watch them without disturbing them.

And believe me, if the aliens that everyone rants about don't want to disturb us, they're doing a piss poor job at it.

The Flatwood Monster was an owl. That's been proved already various times through careful examination, deduction and experimentation.

Dude, I absolutely mean no disrespect to you, you're fun to debate with sometimes, but have you ever heard of Occam's Razor? If time and time and time again every experiment, search, possible DNA source, photo etc ends up being fake, what other conclusion can be drawn other than "It doesn't exist" ?.
Well, clearly the aliens get knowledge out of their observations, and probably entertainment of some kind. There are probably limits to what you can see and hear from a satellite in orbit, so that would be a reason to come in close. Anyway, if you want to take abduction/other contact reports into account, the aliens have an interest in actually interacting with us, and seem to want to teach or improve us in some way, though obviously on a small, personal scale for now. Can't do that from orbit, either. As for not disturbing us... well, their footprint has been small enough so far that we don't know whether they even exist, so that's not quite piss poor, if maybe not stellar, either. Anyway, they could just be oblivious to the discomfort they're causing. Your typical human walking in the woods, even if trying to be stealthy and observant, is panicking birds and other animals left and right. They scatter long before that human is close enough to see them, and he just has no idea he's even caused any disturbance.

And the Flatwoods Monster might have been an owl. That's a theory. If you have a picture of the owl in question taken at the time and place of the sighting, then you'll have proof.

And there are plenty of pieces of evidence that have yet to be disproven. The Patterson Film, for one. And several in-depth studies on UFOs done by top scientists have failed to find explanations for a significant percentage of sightings, forcing debunkers to publicly lie about the results.
UltramanGoji wrote:Aaaaand you've lost me. I can reasonably debate the scientific side of Bigfoot but when you step into the crackpot interdimensional/spirital aspect you become less and less easier to take seriously.

I'm not trying to make this a personal attack, so please don't take it that way. The more out-there theories about Bigfoot seem less like reasonable explanations and more like get-out-of-jail-free cards believers pull when they are cornered. It's something neither side can prove and to bring it up just puts a huge dead end to the entire discussion.
Many reports of Bigfoot and other phenomena involve the entity in question disappearing into thin air, phasing through solid objects, communicating telepathically with observers, and displaying various other characteristics that defy physics and nature as we currently understand them. These reports are common. This leaves us with two choices: disregard these reports completely because we can't fit them into the box of current mainstream science, or look for alternative explanations that may not currently be possible to test. Look at it this way: to a person from 500 years ago, this conversation we're having would be utterly impossible. It involves a huge range of technologies and natural forces like electricity which weren't even close to being thought of yet, would seem to them like magic, and you might be burned at the stake for trying to explain it to them, because it lies so far outside of their understanding of what is possible.

And I would say that "none of the physical evidence convinces me and I won't entertain speculation so therefore there is no Bigfoot" shuts conversations down pretty effectively, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

JAGzilla wrote: Many reports of Bigfoot and other phenomena involve the entity in question disappearing into thin air, phasing through solid objects, communicating telepathically with observers, and displaying various other characteristics that defy physics and nature as we currently understand them. These reports are common.
I was heavily into Bigfoot shit for years and even took a paranormal class in college (which was the catalyst from my jump to "potential beliver" to "total skeptic"), these aren't "common" at all. Most of the reports I've read have involved knocks, calls, eyeshine, and glimpses of it acting like an actual animal. None of this paradimensional, telepathic nonsense. 90% of the people that report these type of incidents (from the reports I have seen) are clearly disturbed individuals. I don't entertain any of this stuff because it's all too simple of an excuse for why these creatures haven't been discovered.
JAGzilla wrote: And I would say that "none of the physical evidence convinces me and I won't entertain speculation so therefore there is no Bigfoot" shuts conversations down pretty effectively, too.
I'm perfectly fine with speculation, but I'm waiting for you or anyone else to provide what you think is conclusive evidence to the existence of these creatures but you're weirdly hesitant to post anything. I haven't been dismissing any actual hard-hitting scientific evidence because nothing of that sort has been provided. It's just been countless paranormal and spiritual nonsense.

Here, I'll even offer my own example of potential evidence:

The Paul Freeman footage remains the one bit of supposed evidence that I honestly have no explanation for. Nothing about Mr. Freeman strikes me as someone who was a rabid hoaxer and the figure in his footage is something I cannot provide a logical explanation for. The factors just don't add up to support either side of the argument. It's even worse that poor Mr. Freeman passed away years ago so we have no firsthand testimony to this video footage.

Added in 10 minutes 16 seconds:
EDIT: I actually didn't notice this one bit because I was so focused on replying to the part that was only directed at me. My mistake.
JAGzilla wrote: And there are plenty of pieces of evidence that have yet to be disproven. The Patterson Film, for one.
The Patterson film is probably one of the most obvious fakes that has ever existed right next to the Surgeon's photo of the Loch Ness Monster (itself a steaming load of BS but for entirely different reasons).

Every single analysis of the Patterson film has been done with a duplicate of the original film. The original negative has never been analyzed. Why? Every time a duplicate of a negative is made, film clarity and quality is lost. Every major analysis on YouTube of supposed "high quality" footage has not been from the original negative, but a mutli-generational copy. It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to see anatomical features such as breasts, lips, muscles, etc. on a copy that unclear from such a distance away. Not only has film degradation seeped in at that point, but the animal itself is supposedly covered in shaggy hair, making it even more difficult to spot such features.

On top of that, Patterson himself was a well-known conman, hoaxer, and liar. He just happened to be working on a movie (a fictional movie according to my research, not a documentary as it's widely believed) and just happened to find a real-life Bigfoot when doing so? Someone who set out not even looking for it was able to stumble upon it and supposedly create one of the most widely analyzed pieces of evidence yet experts and researchers who attempt similar or even more well-researched trips are unable to do so? Something just doesn't add up. In fact, if you look into the specific details about the trip, many details don't add up. Patterson and Gimlin reportedly had the footage flown out from Bluff Creek yet there are no records of a flight being charted. Roger reportedly never returned to Bluff Creek, why wouldn't he?

Most of this information comes from Greg Long's book "The Making of Bigfoot", by the way.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun May 17, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Interesting. I'd never seen the Paul Freeman video before. I didn't see anything that particularly stood out to me, though. What made those distant, indistinct figures more impressive than what we usually see in Bigfoot footage? They looked like they could've been large men in suits, to me, but there's not enough detail to seriously say either way. Unless I missed something, of course, which could easily be the case.

The Patterson Film, by comparison, is phenomenal. I have no problem seeing the breasts, and the muscles are at least a maybe, so... not sure what to tell you as far as that goes. And I always have thought that Patterson's luck seemed too good to be true, but if the video is a hoax, he knocked it out of the park. No one has ever come close to convincingly reproducing it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio