The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by Dino-Mario »

Last edited by Dino-Mario on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I remember hearing about a theory that T. rex and his North American descendants evolved from invasive species which came from China but it was discredited? Why was it so and can it be revived?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:I remember hearing about a theory that T. rex and his North American descendants evolved from invasive species which came from China but it was discredited? Why was it so and can it be revived?
Probably because we now have multiple specimens of tyrannosaurs that were in North America before the land bridges the theory suggested led to tyrannosaurs formed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokesosaurus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moros_intrepidus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suskityrannus
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:I remember hearing about a theory that T. rex and his North American descendants evolved from invasive species which came from China but it was discredited? Why was it so and can it be revived?
Probably because we now have multiple specimens of tyrannosaurs that were in North America before the land bridges the theory suggested led to tyrannosaurs formed

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokesosaurus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moros_intrepidus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suskityrannus
So it's divergent evolution. Interesting.

New evidence of feathered polar dinosaurs found in Australia.
Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Fukuipteryx prima, new non-ornithothoracine bird from Japan

http://www.sci-news.com/paleontology/fu ... 07808.html

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Just curious. With Troodon no longer being a valid name and the specimens that lived alongside T. rex and Trike reverting to the old name Pectinodon, what is the Alaskan version now called?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Just curious. With Troodon no longer being a valid name and the specimens that lived alongside T. rex and Trike reverting to the old name Pectinodon, what is the Alaskan version now called?
Lateniventarix.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

SoggyNoodles2016

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Just curious. With Troodon no longer being a valid name and the specimens that lived alongside T. rex and Trike reverting to the old name Pectinodon, what is the Alaskan version now called?
Lateniventarix.
Latenivenatrix is from the Canadian Dinosaur Park Formation, not the Prince Creek Formation Rhedosaurus is referring to.

From what I've read, the Alaskan remains are too minuscule (literally just teeth) for a full on reexamination and are still labeled Troodon, despite being invalid
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

A bit more of a cryptozoological question, but I think it fits in here too.

What are the chances of Ice Age mammals like mammoths, smilodons, and the like are still alive in Alaska and Siberia?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Extremely slim. The 'mammoth steppe' habitat that supported mammoths is almost completely gone, for one thing, so there goes the food supply they were accustomed to. And even if they could have adapted to the modern tundra or taiga conditions... well, I just can't picture mammoths being this stealthy, you know? It's not exactly difficult to find elephants given their enormous food and water requirements and the destruction they cause as they eat. No reason to think mammoths would be any different. We'd see signs of them all the time, especially since evidence suggests that they lived in herds.

As for smilodons, they were adapted for hunting large prey, and in today's far north their options are limited to caribou, musk oxen, and maybe moose. Even as secretive as cats can be, we'd still see them following the caribou migrations just like wolves do.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

JAGzilla wrote:And even if they could have adapted to the modern tundra or taiga conditions... well, I just can't picture mammoths being this stealthy, you know? It's not exactly difficult to find elephants given their enormous food and water requirements and the destruction they cause as they eat. No reason to think mammoths would be any different. We'd see signs of them all the time, especially since evidence suggests that they lived in herds.

As for smilodons, they were adapted for hunting large prey, and in today's far north their options are limited to caribou, musk oxen, and maybe moose. Even as secretive as cats can be, we'd still see them following the caribou migrations just like wolves do.

To be fair, Alaska is still largely unexplored and most of Siberia is still barely habited.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

An actual full size Mammoth? probably not. Although Siberia is a massive stretch of mostly uninhabited land, so you never know.
As for smilodons, well they lived in warmer climate like southern north America.

of course that doesn't mean there still might be something out there that's undiscovered or thought previously extinct animals. Just maybe not as exciting as a mammoth. Like a new type of deer or bear.
There are actually paleontologists that could see a giant sloth still alive in the amazon! that would be cool.
Last edited by ScootaVaran on Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

SoggyNoodles2016

Rhedosaurus wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:And even if they could have adapted to the modern tundra or taiga conditions... well, I just can't picture mammoths being this stealthy, you know? It's not exactly difficult to find elephants given their enormous food and water requirements and the destruction they cause as they eat. No reason to think mammoths would be any different. We'd see signs of them all the time, especially since evidence suggests that they lived in herds.

To be fair, Alaska is still largely unexplored and most of Siberia is still barely habited.
So?

We still observe the areas that they would have to frequent for survival like the steppes and caribou herds Jag mentioned.

Its just not plausible they're still around

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It's crazy how Antarctica is a whole ass continent, and I believe there's only around 13-200 people that live out there yearly.

Really makes you wonder what's out there.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:It's crazy how Antarctica is a whole ass continent, and I believe there's only around 13-200 people that live out there yearly.

Really makes you wonder what's out there.
...I mean,who wants to live in a place where your almost certain to die from -50 temperatures. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Woah, valginian?

If that's correct dating, this is the earliest species yet!

RIP Evan.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

And a pretty small one too, roughly around 3 meters long! Noice to see more of these guys.

SoggyNoodles2016

Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:A perfectly preserved good boy, right from the split between dog and wolf, was just found in Russia

any of you make a Futurama reference, I'll kill you while crying
The preservation of that doggie is stunning! And yeah, kinda makes me a bit sad too... :'(