The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Anybody else familiar with the Thunder Trilogy? Only ever read the first one though I do have books 2 and 3. Its about a temporal anomaly that causes huge sections of earth being replaced by the primordial past and how the US government and everyday people are coping with their new reality. The first book, Footprints of Thunder, is pretty good. Only real gripe is the author obviously isn't a huge dinosaur person because of how poorly the creatures are described, with there being times I couldn't even tell what dinosaur he was talking about. Still its a pretty interesting read.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Evidence has confirmed that Styracosaurus grew their horns differently per indvidual, thus destroying every slight bit of phylogenetic knowledge on centrosaurians we thought we had.

RIP Evan.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Maybe Greg Paul was on to something after all...

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:31 pm Evidence has confirmed that Styracosaurus grew their horns differently per indvidual, thus destroying every slight bit of phylogenetic knowledge on centrosaurians we thought we had.
Well, guess Spinosaurus getting changed again wasn't the only paleo themed clusterfuck i thought was gonna happen this year. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Wow, it’s funny to see Dinosaur Planet being discussed. I just read that a few months ago. I also found a used copy for cheap. This was the cover:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if you’ve not read it already. For what it’s worth, I found the book to be pretty terrible. The premise was cool (a VERY 70’s sci-fi story that involves people of the distant future working with aliens and humans who’ve evolved on different planets landing on a world full of dinosaurs) but the execution was incredibly lacking. It was terribly boring for long stretches, it used cringeworthy names like “Fang Face” for the dinos, and suffered from what I found to be rather obnoxious brow-beating about vegetarianism.

I’ve no idea if McCaffery was vegetarian, but the way she wrote about it in the book gave the impression that anyone who ate meat was an absolutely filthy and disgusting, unevolved barbarian. Granted it was just fictional characters but it was made pretty clear which characters were “obviously” right and which were wrong (and therefore putridly disgusting).

And it looks like I’m not alone in finding the book a rather tough slog. This guy aptly describes why the book is so boring: http://prehistoricpulp.blogspot.com/201 ... 8.html?m=1
Dinosaur Planet is a book without much plot. It is a rather dull and rambling piece of fiction that feels much longer than its 200 pages would suggest. Large parts of the narrative are just long stretches of stiff, unnatural-sounding dialogue, the sort of which one would find in bad 1950s B-movies. Worse still is McCaffrey's lazy descriptive text. We only get the broadest brush strokes of Ireta's sights, sounds, and smells because the author never paints them in any fine detail. A character may spot a “herbivore” and that's all we're told. What did the herbivore look like? Did it have a crest? A long neck? What color was it? Did it smell? What sounds did it make? McCaffrey can't be bothered to provide such descriptive elements, and as a result Ireta comes across as a rather drab and generic place.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

The Montana 'Dueling Dinosaurs' fossil has been donated to the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Expected to be put on public display by 2022.

https://www.wral.com/nc-museum-of-natur ... zI.twitter

SoggyNoodles2016

Noble Saber wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:46 am The Montana 'Dueling Dinosaurs' fossil has been donated to the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Expected to be put on public display by 2022.

Oh, thank god, we can stop pretending it's the Magic Bullet that'll make Nanotyrannus a thing again

RIP Evan.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:49 am
Noble Saber wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:46 am The Montana 'Dueling Dinosaurs' fossil has been donated to the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. Expected to be put on public display by 2022.

Oh, thank god, we can stop pretending it's the Magic Bullet that'll make Nanotyrannus a thing again
Wait, people want Nanotyrannus to be valid again!?
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Instead we're gonna get it reassigned as Tyrannosaurus lancensis :p.

SoggyNoodles2016

Manuelito Canelito wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:51 am

It's been an ongoing debate over the years. The Dueling Dinosaur specimen was labelled as Nano and because of it being private, we had no evidence it wasn't Nanotyrannus, leaving it as like the one thing people would always bring up you couldn't dispute.

Added in 31 seconds:
Noble Saber wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:52 am
I will accept this before I accept Nanotyrannus

RIP Evan.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:11 am
Manuelito Canelito wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:51 am

It's been an ongoing debate over the years. The Dueling Dinosaur specimen was labelled as Nano and because of it being private, we had no evidence it wasn't Nanotyrannus, leaving it as like the one thing people would always bring up you couldn't dispute.

Added in 31 seconds:
Noble Saber wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:52 am
I will accept this before I accept Nanotyrannus
I literally do not care what the thing gets called, I've been hearing about this find for years and I'm just ecstatic scientists are finally getting a real crack at it.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Fantastic news. 2020 takes some and gives some
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Nothing too major, just wanted to drop some cute art of Jane the T. rex enjoying a snack!

Art by Brian Engh!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Noble Saber wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:37 pm Nothing too major, just wanted to drop some cute art of Jane the T. rex enjoying a snack!

Art by Brian Engh!
Is that a sauropod tail?

SoggyNoodles2016

Noble Saber wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:37 pm Nothing too major, just wanted to drop some cute art of Jane the T. rex enjoying a snack!

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:27 pm Is that a sauropod tail?
What makes you say that? :eh:
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:48 pm

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:27 pm Is that a sauropod tail?
What makes you say that? :eh:
[/quote]

The size.

SoggyNoodles2016

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:56 pm The size.

Jane is a juvenile T. Rex.

RIP Evan.

G-Force Personnel

Art by Brian Engh!
Getting some classic A Field Guide to Dinosaurs vibes from this piece, me likey.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 am Getting some classic A Field Guide to Dinosaurs vibes from this piece, me likey.
Love and still cherish that book! Luis Rey's art has aged like fine wine.

G-Force Personnel

Noble Saber wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:07 pm
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 am Getting some classic A Field Guide to Dinosaurs vibes from this piece, me likey.
Love and still cherish that book! Luis Rey's art has aged like fine wine.
Considering how many times I've borrowed that and Dinosaurs of North America by Helen Roney Sattler from the library, I should probably just hunt them down and buy them.

I have to say though, I'm not a huge fan of Rey's newer digital work, his sketches are still gorgeous but the abundance of textures on his finished pieces just don't appeal to me very much.