Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legit question: should I get the Bandai burning Godzilla?
I don’t own KOTM on Blu-ray. Even though it’s easilt one of the lower Godzilla films for me, I still want to have a home copy of it. I kind of just want the Burning Godzilla because it’s unique and would be cool on my shelf even if it’s a shit figure. What do you all think?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Legit question: should I get the Bandai burning Godzilla?
I don’t own KOTM on Blu-ray. Even though it’s easilt one of the lower Godzilla films for me, I still want to have a home copy of it. I kind of just want the Burning Godzilla because it’s unique and would be cool on my shelf even if it’s a shit figure. What do you all think?
Nah. Not worth the hassle and even if it’s unique it doesn’t look good.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

I don’t own KOTM on Blu-ray. Even though it’s easilt one of the lower Godzilla films for me, I still want to have a home copy of it. I kind of just want the Burning Godzilla because it’s unique and would be cool on my shelf even if it’s a poop figure. What do you all think?
If you really want it, then go for it. Do what makes you happy!
It would certainly be a cool piece to own, even if it's not a great figure. But yeah, I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, since it really is just a variant figure and in the end isn't really worth much outside of sentimental value.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

can't believe HLJ still doesn't have pics of Gigan and Anguirus vinyl on their website. I pre-ordered them in like (July?).. still no pics. Hahaha

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSG0550009/
Heads up the Retro-Godzilla seems to not be so exclusive now. I think the tag might be different but who knows.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:https://godzilla.store/shop/g/gGSG0550009/
Heads up the Retro-Godzilla seems to not be so exclusive now. I think the tag might be different but who knows.
Aw hell yeah! I'm so getting this!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:
I don’t own KOTM on Blu-ray. Even though it’s easilt one of the lower Godzilla films for me, I still want to have a home copy of it. I kind of just want the Burning Godzilla because it’s unique and would be cool on my shelf even if it’s a poop figure. What do you all think?
Nah. Not worth the hassle and even if it’s unique it doesn’t look good.
Yeah. Plus it turns out something I thought was exclusive (the Retro-Godzilla) just got a wide release anyways.

(speaking of variants, the Retro-Godzilla is actually one of the coolest variants worth buying)

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

My guess from what LSD Jelleyfish said about allowing 5 per customer and reading my auction I won was they probably had excess stock. 1st generation retro release. It is a cool color palette with the blues and the red eyes. Definitely cant wait to get it in hand. 5 years to a 70th anniversary so its a cool token of the 65 year anniversary.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Just saw a really good picture of MMS Geigen 2004. It's predominant color is BLACK - arms, legs, torso. Head/shoulders are metallic blue. Wings, of course, are red. Anguirus 2004 looks about as expected. G54 has a nice, long tail trailing behind him. I'd love to get an Anguirus 55 done up with B&W like G54...

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

MandaSaurus wrote:Just saw a really good picture of MMS Geigen 2004. It's predominant color is BLACK - arms, legs, torso. Head/shoulders are metallic blue. Wings, of course, are red. Anguirus 2004 looks about as expected. G54 has a nice, long tail trailing behind him. I'd love to get an Anguirus 55 done up with B&W like G54...
Huh, weird colour choice for Gigan, but it fits. The wings kinda annoy me, though. Would it really have been that hard to apply the paint in actual horizontal stripes, rather than just a big vertical red airbrush? They already used blue and red paint on the figure, just needs some care.

I have to say that this wave is the worst in terms of paint jobs. They don't hold a candle to stuff like Rodan 04 or Spacegodzilla.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Anyone having trouble getting their MMS KOTM King Ghidorah figure to stand up?

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

yeah, I've 'reset it', a bunch of times with hot water, but eventually the legs move a bit and he faceplants.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:Just saw a really good picture of MMS Geigen 2004. It's predominant color is BLACK - arms, legs, torso. Head/shoulders are metallic blue. Wings, of course, are red. Anguirus 2004 looks about as expected. G54 has a nice, long tail trailing behind him. I'd love to get an Anguirus 55 done up with B&W like G54...
Huh, weird colour choice for Gigan, but it fits. The wings kinda annoy me, though. Would it really have been that hard to apply the paint in actual horizontal stripes, rather than just a big vertical red airbrush? They already used blue and red paint on the figure, just needs some care.

I have to say that this wave is the worst in terms of paint jobs. They don't hold a candle to stuff like Rodan 04 or Spacegodzilla.
What, you have them in-hand already? If not, then how do you make a judgment from an advertisement picture? :eh:

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

MandaSaurus wrote:
Thegarbagemonster wrote:

What, you have them in-hand already? If not, then how do you make a judgment from an advertisement picture? :eh:
Oh, I'm just judging from the pictures we've seen.
If you look back a few pages in this thread, there's some pics. Gigan's wings are really lazy, and Anguirus has a blue mouth and no painted spikes on his legs or tail.

G54 is already out, btw, and they didn't paint the claws.

Added in 12 hours 38 minutes 7 seconds:
Why is it that some vinyls feel hard and others feel soft? All my modern MMS ones are soft in some way, the hardest is probably Spacegodzilla, but I just recently picked up a Heisei Godzilla (not sure which year it's from, but it has blue fins) and the thing is basically rock hard, the limbs are pretty stiff and I'm scared they'll crack or something if I try to loosen them. My old showa Anguirus is hard too but not to that extent. What causes this?

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:Why is it that some vinyls feel hard and others feel soft? All my modern MMS ones are soft in some way, the hardest is probably Spacegodzilla, but I just recently picked up a Heisei Godzilla (not sure which year it's from, but it has blue fins) and the thing is basically rock hard, the limbs are pretty stiff and I'm scared they'll crack or something if I try to loosen them. My old showa Anguirus is hard too but not to that extent. What causes this?
Time does cause this. And partially the atmosphere the figure was surrounded with. Over the years the plastic looses it's softening components since they veeery slowly release into the air leaving only the harder components. It'll happen eventually to almost all vinyl figures.
Size DOES matter!

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Petezilla wrote:
Thegarbagemonster wrote:Why is it that some vinyls feel hard and others feel soft? All my modern MMS ones are soft in some way, the hardest is probably Spacegodzilla, but I just recently picked up a Heisei Godzilla (not sure which year it's from, but it has blue fins) and the thing is basically rock hard, the limbs are pretty stiff and I'm scared they'll crack or something if I try to loosen them. My old showa Anguirus is hard too but not to that extent. What causes this?
Time does cause this. And partially the atmosphere the figure was surrounded with. Over the years the plastic looses it's softening components since they veeery slowly release into the air leaving only the harder components. It'll happen eventually to almost all vinyl figures.
That sucks, I like the squishy feel of newer ones. :(

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Also, older bandais (especially ones from the 80’s and 90’s) were made from harder vinyl to begin with. They started making the vinyl softer in the late 90’s/early2000’s. It kept getting softer until I think they kinda reached the limit with a few of the the GFW figures that wound up being so soft they basically collapse under their own weight. Then they seemed to dial it back a bit so the vinyl got a little firmer again.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

canofhumdingers wrote: It kept getting softer until I think they kinda reached the limit with a few of the the GFW figures that wound up being so soft they basically collapse under their own weight.
Wow, that sounds terrible. Is there any pics or vids showing that? I'm curious about it.

Thanks for the info, though.

Added in 2 hours 35 minutes 49 seconds:
Another question regarding the same thing; if I use a hairdryer to heat up this Godzilla, to try and make his joints looser, would it crack him? I'm kinda wary because he seems somewhat brittle. But I like making stopmotion videos with figures, so I'd like him to be less stiff.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

I went back quite a few pages but didn't see any pics of the upcoming Gigan or Anguirus

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:I went back quite a few pages but didn't see any pics of the upcoming Gigan or Anguirus
Oh, oops, sorry, I actually posted them on the future or upcoming thread.