General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

You can see my collection and see the figures in action on my YouTube channel. Here's my collection video (It's outdated but I haven't bought too many figures since this video was made):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYPlnV185nE
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

QUESTION: Do the boxes of 10 all have the same ratio of characters, or are all boxes random in how many of each are in there?

Case in point, I saw a YT video of some guy in Japan opening the latest Godzilla box, and should I expect the same ratio that he got? :eh:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MandaSaurus wrote:QUESTION: Do the boxes of 10 all have the same ratio of characters, or are all boxes random in how many of each are in there?

Case in point, I saw a YT video of some guy in Japan opening the latest Godzilla box, and should I expect the same ratio that he got? :eh:
Fairly certain they're all random.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Maritonic wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:QUESTION: Do the boxes of 10 all have the same ratio of characters, or are all boxes random in how many of each are in there?

Have you ever purchased a box of 10, or know someone who has?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MandaSaurus wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Have you ever purchased a box of 10, or know someone who has?
No, but I'd just assume logic. Based on people who work retail and deal with other mystery box things. They tend to be randomly packed.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

MandaSaurus wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

Have you ever purchased a box of 10, or know someone who has? The doubles were all sitting right next to each other, which seems kind of odd for a 'random' pack. Also, the boxes were not 'blind-box' - each had pics of the kaiju inside...

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MandaSaurus wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Have you ever purchased a box of 10, or know someone who has? The doubles were all sitting right next to each other, which seems kind of odd for a 'random' pack. Also, the boxes were not 'blind-box' - each had pics of the kaiju inside...
Forget it, Manda.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Hard for me to 'forget it' as one of these boxes of 10 is enroute to me right now from Japan...

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MandaSaurus wrote:Hard for me to 'forget it' as one of these boxes of 10 is enroute to me right now from Japan...
Cool. Have fun.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I believe a lot of the Japanese candy toy cases do in fact ship with a standard ratio case assortment. They will have rare or chase variants, but you often get the same figure assortment in each case. The rare figures might just be one per case while the regular figures are two or three per case.

The chase variants are usually just a special color scheme and will be in place of the regular color of that same figure in a case. But only a few random cases will actually have the chase figure, while most just have the normal color of that figure.

At least, that’s how it worked back in the early 2000’s when the millennium film series was being produced. I haven’t bought gahapons in a very long time so I have no idea if they still pack cases that way or if they’ve started being more random.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Oh yeah, these things do come packed with gum, I believe. The casepack I observed on YT was :

1 Godzilla Earth( translucent blue )
1 G2004
2 G89
2 Shin Goji
2 FW Radon
2 FW Anguirus

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Sorry to butt into this thread, but I wasn't really sure where else to ask. I've never had a lot of room or money to collect large amounts of Godzilla toys, and I still really don't, but I decided it might not be so bad if I was able to somehow get gashapon type figures. I'm way out of my element and I'm a bit of completionist and tend to picky and detail oriented. So my questions...

Is there a semi-consistent line of these type of figures (manufacturer, size, price, etc) that cover a wide variety of the Toho realm? My ridiculous fantasy is there is a company that consistently makes a representation of least each Toho monster and then moved on to other movie monsters (Kong, Gamera, Ultraman, Harryhausen, etc). I'm sure what I'm looking for doesn't exist, but if I don't ask I don't get any answers so here I am. Once again, sorry for butting in.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Bandai has done Gashapon scale stuff for Godzilla and Gamera. Not sure if it’s in the same scale but Iwakura has done a few others like Gappa and Guilala.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Sorry to butt into this thread, but I wasn't really sure where else to ask. I've never had a lot of room or money to collect large amounts of Godzilla toys, and I still really don't, but I decided it might not be so bad if I was able to somehow get gashapon type figures. I'm way out of my element and I'm a bit of completionist and tend to picky and detail oriented. So my questions...

Is there a semi-consistent line of these type of figures (manufacturer, size, price, etc) that cover a wide variety of the Toho realm? My ridiculous fantasy is there is a company that consistently makes a representation of least each Toho monster and then moved on to other movie monsters (Kong, Gamera, Ultraman, Harryhausen, etc). I'm sure what I'm looking for doesn't exist, but if I don't ask I don't get any answers so here I am. Once again, sorry for butting in.
Iwakura and Bandai: High Grade are your best bets for in-scale Kaiju figures for affordable prices.
-Dr. Asimov

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Thanks! Looks like that's most consistent and they look pretty detailed. Now to actually find them...
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Is there a semi-consistent line of these type of figures (manufacturer, size, price, etc) that cover a wide variety of the Toho realm? My ridiculous fantasy is there is a company that consistently makes a representation of least each Toho monster and then moved on to other movie monsters (Kong, Gamera, Ultraman, Harryhausen, etc). I'm sure what I'm looking for doesn't exist, but if I don't ask I don't get any answers so here I am. Once again, sorry for butting in.
I was in the exact same situation as you and decided to collect the HG line of gashapons starting in 2002. I have an excel spreadsheet-checklist made with the entire line that I can email to you if you are interested. I just finished my collection not that long ago and now just get the new sets as they come out.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Thanks! Looks like that's most consistent and they look pretty detailed. Now to actually find them...
eBay and Showcase Daikaiju usually are your best bets. Happy hunting!
-Dr. Asimov

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Looks like there’s quite a few that don’t have gashapon releases of any kind. I suppose the likelihood of characters like Kong, Mechani-Kong and Frankenstein are very low.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

The HG line is missing lots of the obscure kaiju. If that's what you're looking for, then the Iwakura line is way better. They have a Kong, Rose Biollante, Giant Serpent, and I believe they made a Mechai-Kong and even the unmade enemy from the scrapped Gamera movie. That line can be expensive though and pretty hard to find.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

darkcancer wrote:The HG line is missing lots of the obscure kaiju. If that's what you're looking for, then the Iwakura line is way better. They have a Kong, Rose Biollante, Giant Serpent, and I believe they made a Mechai-Kong and even the unmade enemy from the scrapped Gamera movie. That line can be expensive though and pretty hard to find.
Yeah, I’ve been looking on eBay for months looking for an Iwakura Showa Gigan (since the High Grade one was horribly too small)
-Dr. Asimov