New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by GigaBowserG »

Donated... Nearly $20k in the first 11 hours, wow~
Keep it up, and good luck! :huge:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/142 ... ting-onlin

And @Mr. X, the biggest problem with the 1st Kickstarter is that there was absolutely no online publicity -- the Kickstarter started with little to no promotion anywhere. People were only lucky to donate if they happened upon YouTube comments talking about it! This time, we're coming out swinging. Hopefully that'll be enough to fulfill the requirements of the project. (=
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:I'll be honest; I was cautiously optimistic at the idea of a new Godzilla game, but once I heard it was gonna be all original monsters, I was just like "Yeah, skreeonk this, I'm out."

Sorry for those who made the original monsters, but I did not come for YOUR creations; I was promised Godzilla, I didnt get Godzilla, so I stopped caring. I'm also sorry if you see that as close-minded, but I have no emotional investment in any of these new guys.
I actually find this sort of honesty really refreshing. Thank you for that.

Our biggest problem was that buying a license cost 2-3x what actually producing the game costs. Going all-original for our first paid release actually saves us enough money to actually make the game - which is a pretty big deal! The original kickstarter was looking to pay for a Godzilla license - but it seems that our chances of making a game without Godzilla (which makes our ability to make a game _with_ Godzilla in the future) are much better.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I am honestly still against this "Make multiple games and they can be joined together" Idea.

Why not just make DLC? I think people will feel pretty damn cheated if they have to play for a whole other game just so they can play as new monsters, and on new maps.

I am still all for just using original monsters. I hate when Godzilla or other franchises are tacked on to things. If anything, release a "Godzilla characters" DLC pack. instead of a complete other game.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

zilla103192 wrote:I am honestly still against this "Make multiple games and they can be joined together" Idea.

Why not just make DLC? I think people will feel pretty damn cheated if they have to play for a whole other game just so they can play as new monsters, and on new maps.

I am still all for just using original monsters. I hate when Godzilla or other franchises are tacked on to things. If anything, release a "Godzilla characters" DLC pack. instead of a complete other game.
DLC is a uni-directional concept. Buy game A, then download any combination of products a,b,c,d,e. If you don't want game A, you never play any of it. It's one-way.

Our Multi-Release Vision puts every game on equal footing. We'll have games A,B,C,D - if you want originals, buy them. If you want to just play as Godzilla & co - wait for that release and buy just that.

I suspect part of your objection is that you are anticipating that each game will cost a significant amount - my plan is to make every release cost $20 or less. A $5 release with just 4 monsers and one new environment would be pretty sweet.

Connor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Connor »

I would KILL to get Frankenstein in the game.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Mr. Strange wrote:
zilla103192 wrote:I am honestly still against this "Make multiple games and they can be joined together" Idea.

DLC is a uni-directional concept. Buy game A, then download any combination of products a,b,c,d,e. If you don't want game A, you never play any of it. It's one-way.

Our Multi-Release Vision puts every game on equal footing. We'll have games A,B,C,D - if you want originals, buy them. If you want to just play as Godzilla & co - wait for that release and buy just that.

I suspect part of your objection is that you are anticipating that each game will cost a significant amount - my plan is to make every release cost $20 or less. A $5 release with just 4 monsers and one new environment would be pretty sweet.
No, the price isn't my concern at all, just the fact that people will have to buy a complete other game, just to play as other monsters. What if I want one new monster, but don't want all the others, or new maps... I am paying for a bunch of stuff I don't want in my game.

I say release "Kaiju Combat" with it's initial roster. Then as you create new monsters, release them each individually as DLC for a small price (like $2.00 per character) AND release a bundle pack with all the monsters released at a time for a higher price (but still cheaper then what it would cost to download all the seperate ones. Or a bit higher, but include something extra in the bundle pack, that you can only get through that.). Then if and when you get the rights to any franchises, repeat the process, but bump up the cost a bit to help pay for them. (I.e. Godzilla costs $2.99, but the pack with Godzilla, Anguirus, Rodan, and King Ghidorah costs $7.00)

Ex. Release 4 new monsters, sell them by themselves for $1.99 (for people that just want one monster) and sell a pack with all four of them, plus an alternate skin for Macrosaurus. All for $5.00.

That makes much more sense to me.

Besides, if you do this multi-game idea, how to users combine the game? Do they just auto combine? Do we need to program the game to include the monsters? DLC just seems to make much more sense to me.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

zilla103192 wrote:
No, the price isn't my concern at all, just the fact that people will have to buy a complete other game, just to play as other monsters. What if I want one new monster, but don't want all the others, or new maps... I am paying for a bunch of stuff I don't want in my game.
Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Here's the problem with approaching this as DLC - DLC means "many pieces of one game", and the licensed characters can't appear in the same game. We'll never get Ultraman into the same game as Gamera. Cross-universe licensing is a huge mess, and ridiculously expensive.

But releasing each license as its own stand-alone game neatly side-steps all those issues. We can sell a Gamera game alongside an Ultraman game, and everything is neat and tidy. It is perfectly clear how the profits for each game are split, and neither game feels that the limelight is stolen from the other games.

Bundling the characters by franchise also helps, somewhat, to alleviate the problem you raise - if I want Gamera, I'm probably also interested in playing as Gamera's foes. But maybe I don't care for Ultraman - so I can just avoid that franchise release.

Of course, you can always split things down smaller and smaller, so we can never completely eliminate the problem you raise.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:I'll be honest; I was cautiously optimistic at the idea of a new Godzilla game, but once I heard it was gonna be all original monsters, I was just like "Yeah, skreeonk this, I'm out."

Sorry for those who made the original monsters, but I did not come for YOUR creations; I was promised Godzilla, I didnt get Godzilla, so I stopped caring. I'm also sorry if you see that as close-minded, but I have no emotional investment in any of these new guys.
Well I agree I would prefer a Godzilla game to an original monsters game but they do plan to make a Godzilla game once the actual game is out. Plus I know there are alot of fans on this site of the PS2 classic War of the Monsters and that was an all original monsters game. I'm sure people would like to see another game in that vein, which is what I'm hoping Kaiju Combat will be.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

On KaijuSamurai's Deviant Art profile, I saw a picture of 6 possible kaiju for the game. There was a giant ape, 2 headed turtle, giant salamander, giant crab, some freaky alien/leech like kaiju, and a giant chicken. When i found out that urogora was the salamander and kirkiron was the chicken, it had me wonder, will the other 4 monsters be in the game. And if so what are their names?
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

...a giant chicken...
That has potential to either be the dumbest or epicest thing to be put into a fighting game.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

TyrantGojira wrote:On KaijuSamurai's Deviant Art profile, I saw a picture of 6 possible kaiju for the game. There was a giant ape, 2 headed turtle, giant salamander, giant crab, some freaky alien/leech like kaiju, and a giant chicken. When i found out that urogora was the salamander and kirkiron was the chicken, it had me wonder, will the other 4 monsters be in the game. And if so what are their names?
Well we will have 57 (!) Original monsters from backers, so we are not planning to have Matt flesh out the other four concepts yet. Plenty of monsters already available, and every design Matt draws on his own is competing with our backers for a slot.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:...a giant chicken...
That has potential to either be the dumbest or epicest thing to be put into a fighting game.
His bio had me sold: https://kaijucombat.wiki.zoho.com/Kikiron.html

Matt makes some interesting stories for his monsters, they're quite a treat to read.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

GigaBowserG wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote: Matt makes some interesting stories for his monsters, they're quite a treat to read.
Matt is fantastic - but I'm afraid that I have to claim credit for all the biographies...

In my head, Kikiron is the most powerful Kaiju in the game when played with assurance. He has no weaknesses, and a large counter window he can employ on opponent attacks. Plus limited flight, air recovery, and most importantly - the under-estimation he gets from his opponents!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

You might want to rethink that...
If this Kickstarter fails, the project will not be revived for another go. No future Godzilla KC, no Gamera KC, no mixing the two for the brawling that we'd been hoping for. Supporting the project now ensures we will see these two franchises (plus more) duking it out in the future.

Godzilla fans are the biggest hope for this project... Please don't let us down when we have just one to two years between this project succeeding, and Godzilla showing up to fight again alongside his other daikaiju rivals. And with the fan feedback, we can input ideas and details that may've seemed "off" from past Godzilla-Atari releases to make this series even truer to form.

You can completely skip over the original monster releases if you want - when Godzilla shows up, we'll gladly let you know! :g2k: But if you'd rather see this entire concept fail...?
/crawls back under rock

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

@GigaBowser - I understand what you're trying to accomplish here, but let's not belabor things here. Trying to defend a project just invites folks to attack it, unfortunately.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Mr. Strange wrote:@GigaBowser - I understand what you're trying to accomplish here, but let's not belabor things here. Trying to defend a project just invites folks to attack it, unfortunately.
It was more of a "Caution :!:" to people who've been too wary about the project and what they'd miss out, not specifically aimed at just 1 person.
But I see your point, there's still over 20 days for the project, too soon to start worrying! Getting more media attention before then should help keep things lively.
/crawls back under rock

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

Post by Arbok »

Wow, we had a lot of topics on what would eventually become Kaiju Combat...

Anyway, this topic is being archived to track the start of the project to inception.

To talk about the current iteration, please use this topic:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 10&t=11849
If it bites... don't mess with it!