New kaiju game from Matt Frank + Simon Strange [Archive]

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: (Possible) new kaiju game from Matt Frank and Simon Stra

Post by Spuro »

ゴジラ wrote: For example, placing in $500 which rewards you the ability to design your own monster and include it within the game could very well get cash poured into this. After all, what kaiju fan wouldn't want to have their very own made kaiju within a playable videogame? That's beyond epic! Hell I would gladly drop 500 rocks to have my own kaiju playable (2D of course) within the game without hesitation. Just saying, you and Matt should think about it.
Sigh... fine. I'll be good for an original kaiju game, but ONLY if we include this. If not, then I, like SD, am cheering for a Godzilla or Gamera game all the way.

... I still prefer a 3D Godzilla game though. And if my class can donate 1 000 000 dollars to go on a sailing trip within a year, I'm sure we can do it too.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

ゴジラ wrote: And Gyaos, although its true, not having Godzilla or Gamera would greatly reduce costs, but the cost of actually developing the models of each monster still makes things pricey. Mainly 3D is more pricey. 2D isn't as pricey and is very well within most people's price range. (If they save up).
Oh I'm sure anything of the sort will most certainly be expensive, but not including Toho or Daiei Kaiju would take a load off our backs, especially when factoring in other things like those Mr. Strange mentioned.
Now create-a-kaiju and 3D fighting... yeah that's just not technically feasible. Creating procedural animations for arbitrary monster shapes/sizes is a very hard problem - it's been done a few times, but there is no reasonable way to make procedural animations into balance fighting attacks. You really need those hand-animated keyframe animations to make the monsters awesome.
Now, this would be possible with 2D fighting would it not? From what I've seen/read, create-a-kaiju would be much easier on a 2D fighter.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
ゴジラ wrote: For example, placing in $500 which rewards you the ability to design your own monster and include it within the game could very well get cash poured into this. After all, what kaiju fan wouldn't want to have their very own made kaiju within a playable videogame? That's beyond epic! Hell I would gladly drop 500 rocks to have my own kaiju playable (2D of course) within the game without hesitation. Just saying, you and Matt should think about it.
Sigh... fine. I'll be good for an original kaiju game, but ONLY if we include this. If not, then I, like SD, am cheering for a Godzilla or Gamera game all the way.

... I still prefer a 3D Godzilla game though. And if my class can donate 1 000 000 dollars to go on a sailing trip within a year, I'm sure we can do it too.
Well although I'm still in this along with my friends, I would EXTREMELY love this to happen if I were to donate 500 bones! Have your own created kaiju within a kaiju fighter videogame? That's as epic as owning a kaiju suit! And less expensive than making a Kaiju fan film.
----------------------------------------------
Mr. Strange, Gojira does raise up a good point, 500 bones, you get to include your own kaiju creation as a playable fighter within the game? Donations will flow decently quick. I mean, it fits perfectly with the 2D Monster price right? So how bout it? I've saved up money over 500, I'd donate without hesitation.

Destroyer
G-Grasper

Post by Destroyer »

I think first we should concentrate on getting a Godzilla game lifted before we consider create-a-kaiju.
Making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. ~Ephesians 5:16

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Destroyer_199

Owner of http://destroyer14.com/

Editor/Reviewer for http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/.

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Destroyer wrote:I think first we should concentrate on getting a Godzilla game lifted before we consider create-a-kaiju.
A Godzilla game isn't gonna happen possibly without the help of another game developer, or if someone buys the rights. Sure, the Godzilla community could try to shell out 1 million on our own, but like Mr. Strange said, its a question of money. Now maybe, just maybe, IDW could help out on some things. Or maybe G-Fest. I kinda doubt it, but maybe those things can help out in some way. They could do a charity of some kind. It's a stretch and probably won't amount to anything, but its better than playing with our thumbs and hope things happen without much effort needed.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

I see that your ready there Blackout lol I guess that car you were planning on getting tomorrow is gonna remain there huh?

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

ゴジラ wrote:I see that your ready there Blackout lol I guess that car you were planning on getting tomorrow is gonna remain there huh?
Well, if it means having my own created kaiju a playable fighter within a videogame...Then yes, I'm ready :lol: . And yes, it will remain there. Besides, I've waited over 4 years from saving up multiple checks to finally be able to afford a great car. I can wait a little longer.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Can we do a 3D online console game with original monsters and no create a kaiju.

Then later if the game was released we could may all try to donate to get Godzilla in the game.

Also if we did try for Godzilla in the game what version would it be.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

Honestly I really wish people would get the heads out of their asses about a "create-a-kaiju" feature. Right now lets just look at a basic ground level start for a game and add up.

A Blazblue style Godzilla game would be pretty fun, it could be a sequal of sorts to Battle Legends. It could also help save on a budget without it being a major loss if it doesnt sell well. Also from it being a 2.5D style game it would allow more monsters to be in it.

Sure id love to see a new fully 3D Godzilla game thats perfect for the fans, but we have to start off small and work it up.

When I get a job ill donate some, not sure how much but it will be something.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Am I the only one that thinks a retro-styled 2D fighting game with a downloadable console release (via Wiiware, XBL Arcade, etc.) would be really cool?

Not to mention the fact that the smaller the scope, the easier it is to allocate resources into purchasing monster licenses.

This is a less-is-more situation. Yes, it would be fantastic to have a fancy 3D fighting game with Godzilla and his pals, but reasonable financial goals have to be set. Can we really get 20,000 people to donate $50? Probably not. I'm a firm believer that more constraints tend to yield better creative results (not to mention more creative ones). Simpler platform and control schemes could very well yield a fun, innovative fighting game. I think it would be a nice goal to set to not only shoot for a fan-service game, but also try to make a new, fresh, exciting game in and of itself. Like so many fan-originated projects, this is something that can very easily fall flat with overhyping and lofty, unreachable goals. For once, we could have the opportunity to actually do something other than talk about how cool our game is going to be or how awesome it would be if our game could have [Feature X]. Instead of trying to build a whole pyramid from scratch, let's narrow our scope, start small, and build up from the bottom.

Now, I don't know how Simon's involvement in this can shape plans for a game away from that philosophy (I'm sure he can pop in and guide this project should more solid pieces start falling into place), but I'd rather have a modest project outgrow its pot than a pipedream explode like a pipebomb.
bleep bloop

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

ゴジラ wrote: Also Svitska Donkun, a Godzilla game is way out of consideration at this point. Toho charges around $100,000 for full rights? Sorry, but that alone is gonna scare fans away.
If it was way out of consideration, no one would be talking about it. In fact, if it was "way out the question" Matt and Strange would never have proposed it. Shit, for all you know, they can shop around the idea to game studios, and one might pick it up. Like I said earlier, maybe even Toho would help finance it. Maybe LEGENDARY PICTURES would help finance it. It may be irrelevant to the movie, but it gets Godzilla back in the media somewhat, which may help a BIT when it comes to brand recognition. It's basically subconscious marketing. As for Fan fund-raising, ALOT of people who are not hardcore Godzilla fans read the IDW books. We could ask the writers to put an dd in the books asking for donations, and maybe get some funding from IDW if we offered them a bit of creative control and a margin of profits. There are many MANY ways to get funding for this project. Godzilla is still a name franchise, and there are various parties who take interest in the franchise. You could even ask Bandai for help, if you so wanted. They make alot off Godzilla merchandise. Stop being so damn pessimistic.

I say we SHOOT for the full 3D package, and lower our expectations if it fails to procure money. We can send an open letter to J.D. Lees, asking him to put an Ad in G-Fan, shit, we can ask him more. MST3K invited potential film investors to one of their con's, and had all the participants where buttons to show support of a MST3K Feature film, well, Universal gave them money and they made a film. We can ask J.D. to invite possible investors to G-Fest, in hopes of impressing/coercing to donate money. LOTS of ways we can do this.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

Svitska Donkun wrote:
ゴジラ wrote: Also Svitska Donkun, a Godzilla game is way out of consideration at this point. Toho charges around $100,000 for full rights? Sorry, but that alone is gonna scare fans away.
If it was way out of consideration, no one would be talking about it. In fact, if it was "way out the question" Matt and Strange would never have proposed it. Shit, for all you know, they can shop around the idea to game studios, and one might pick it up. Like I said earlier, maybe even Toho would help finance it. Maybe LEGENDARY PICTURES would help finance it. It may be irrelevant to the movie, but it gets Godzilla back in the media somewhat, which may help a BIT when it comes to brand recognition. It's basically subconscious marketing. As for Fan fund-raising, ALOT of people who are not hardcore Godzilla fans read the IDW books. We could ask the writers to put an dd in the books asking for donations, and maybe get some funding from IDW if we offered them a bit of creative control and a margin of profits. There are many MANY ways to get funding for this project. Godzilla is still a name franchise, and there are various parties who take interest in the franchise. You could even ask Bandai for help, if you so wanted. They make alot off Godzilla merchandise. Stop being so damn pessimistic.

I say we SHOOT for the full 3D package, and lower our expectations if it fails to procure money. We can send an open letter to J.D. Lees, asking him to put an Ad in G-Fan, shit, we can ask him more. MST3K invited potential film investors to one of their con's, and had all the participants where buttons to show support of a MST3K Feature film, well, Universal gave them money and they made a film. We can ask J.D. to invite possible investors to G-Fest, in hopes of impressing/coercing to donate money. LOTS of ways we can do this.
Umm...Dude, most are no longer starting to talk about a Godzilla game. At least here somewhat. As you obviously could tell, most have been leaning over toward Original Monsters nearly this whole time. A Godzilla game is nearly out, why else would Matt and Mr. Strange include other options if it wasn't in the first place? A Developer studio would only invest into a Godzilla game mainly if there's major profits to obtain from it. They will not invest if there's mild risk of a major flop and not making back the budget used to create the product in the first place. Yes, Godzilla's name is a franchise, doesn't mean that it will be casually picked up just like that because its one. How else would you explain the lack of Godzilla games when pipeworks no longer had the rights after so many years? Or the lack of new comics up until now?

Maybe Toho, maybe LP, maybe IDW, maybe investors from G-Fest. Maybe, might, possibly, could happen. In other words, yes, let's hope that they could help us out. Let's hope they can give us a miracle. Let's hope they'll take a gamble. That's really all I'm hearing to be honest.
Bandai will not listen unless your in a suit, can guarantee profits, can assure that they will make up what they used for the budget, and promise them large sales. But wait, they sound like mostly any other business out there, like Toho, LP, and possibly even IDW.

At BEST, yes, an ad within G-Fan could help spread the word and raise interest. And yes, G-Fest is another place to possibly obtain funds from those interested.(That's probably your best bet within your arsenal). I doubt IDW would jump in, ask Bobby for an answer if you have the time. I'm sure Matt probably already had that thought and the other thoughts we're voicing now when talking with Mr. Strange about all of this. "Lots of ways", maybe, but any possibilities of it working out? Yeah, you have a better chance surviving a gun shoot out massacre at your school.

So what I'm getting is that you want everyone to take a HUGE gamble with the 3D Game Package, and simply keep expectations low while crossing our fingers, hoping for the best that money will be donated and reach its limit? If pessimistic is another word for being realistic then I'm it.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Tormentor wrote: Yeah, you have a better chance surviving a gun shoot out massacre at your school.
Already have done that. Survived a shooting at A school, anyway. Not mine. I was on campus during the shooting at Harvard a couple years ago, while visiting my sister. By the way, that statement's a bit offensive, and stupid.
Tormentor wrote:So what I'm getting is that you want everyone to take a HUGE gamble with the 3D Game Package, and simply keep expectations low while crossing our fingers, hoping for the best that money will be donated and reach its limit? If pessimistic is another word for being realistic then I'm it.
NO harm can come of TRYING. And as far as this thread goes, most posters say Godzilla would be number one, but original is ok too. If we can't make enough money we take the money we DID earn and make a game out of it, whatever it may be.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
Let's dance.

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

Svitska Donkun wrote:
Tormentor wrote: Yeah, you have a better chance surviving a gun shoot out massacre at your school.
Already have done that.
Tormentor wrote:So what I'm getting is that you want everyone to take a HUGE gamble with the 3D Game Package, and simply keep expectations low while crossing our fingers, hoping for the best that money will be donated and reach its limit? If pessimistic is another word for being realistic then I'm it.
NO harm can come of TRYING. And as far as this thread goes, most posters say Godzilla would be number one, but original is ok too. If we can't make enough money we take the money we DID earn and make a game out of it, whatever it may be.
Most posters say Godzilla would be number one, but Original still got the hits after some thought was put to it. Even more so, the option of Godzilla as being one was demoted when Mr. Strange put up the real amount of money to do the 3D Game Package including the amount of money needed to obtain the rights to Toho's Monsters. It was a wake-up call.

Of course, no harm can come of trying, unless you don't mind wasting precious time, money, and resources with no form of earning anything worthy or acceptable in return. So yes, no harm can come of trying, only when it amounts to nothing does it become so. There is no "we take the money we did earn and make a game out of it", Mr. Strange has already made it clear that this is an "all or nothing deal." We either completely make the money and make a game, or we don't and don't do anything at all. There is no third option, there is no side door to take when the main exit is locked. All windows are nailed down with bars over them. There are no surprises here.

Edit: You feel that the shooting post was offensive and stupid? Not my problem. There are other events in this world that rightly hold those crowns proudly.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Tormentor wrote:
Svitska Donkun wrote:
Already have done that.
Most posters say Godzilla would be number one, but Original still got the hits after some thought was put to it. Even more so, the option of Godzilla as being one was demoted when Mr. Strange put up the real amount of money to do the 3D Game Package including the amount of money needed to obtain the rights to Toho's Monsters. It was a wake-up call.

Of course, no harm can come of trying, unless you don't mind wasting precious time, money, and resources with no form of earning anything worthy or acceptable in return. So yes, no harm can come of trying, only when it amounts to nothing does it become so. There is no "we take the money we did earn and make a game out of it", Mr. Strange has already made it clear that this is an "all or nothing deal." We either completely make the money and make a game, or we don't and don't do anything at all. There is no third option, there is no side door to take when the main exit is locked. All windows are nailed down with bars over them. There are no surprises here.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If the Godzilla game we wanted cannot be made with the amount of money raised, we just make a 2D game, or a game with an all original cast. That money doesn't just disappear. If we shoot high for 1,000,000 dollars, and fall short to, say 500,000, what's stopping us from saying "ok, well, we can use this money and try for a more cost effective game because something is better than nothing."?

And he wasn't saying anything other than making us aware of the risks, if fans are COMMITTED, then it could happen. This total complacency bugs me.
Let's dance.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The more I think about it the more I say original kaiju won't toho override us fans once Godzilla is brought into the situation? I say let's go for the original kaiju game and later if we can then try to get Godzilla in through DLC or something to that effect.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

Svitska Donkun wrote:That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If the Godzilla game we wanted cannot be made with the amount of money raised, we just make a 2D game, or a game with an all original cast. That money doesn't just disappear. If we shoot high for 1,000,000 dollars, and fall short to, say 500,000, what's stopping us from saying "ok, well, we can use this money and try for a more cost effective game because something is better than nothing."?

And he wasn't saying anything other than making us aware of the risks, if fans are COMMITTED, then it could happen. This total complacency bugs me.
What's stopping us are the people who would want their money back in some shape or form. If the whole show isn't going anywhere people are gonna want their bills back. And if they don't then that will only cause ill feelings between the side that wants to make a game with what is left, and the side that simply wants their money back. And you know how people are with their money, they'll go to extreme lengths to get it back. Besides that, people invest for different reasons. Sure, someone might have added money into the pool only with the hopes of a great game, but if it all amounts to nothing, and all that can be done is some water down version of a half bake daydream, you'll want your bills back. Especially when you know that there are others things to buy with that money, be it on other consumer goods or needs.

If fans are committed then it could happen, very true. But honestly, who's truly committed? If someone slapped the information dealing with what's needed to make a 3D Godzilla Game onto Matt's blog on Deivantart, how many are truly going to stick around after that? How many posts do you expect to see and say: "Oh, well, when I get a job I'll donate some money." or "Oh, I would love to donate into the pool if I had some money to spare/give.". Or the famous " I don't have any money right now, but I'll have some later and contribute." and they never do it. Of course, those pardons aren't without reason I'm sure. It's either the person is tight on money, or they simply don't have it and expect other committed fans to do all the effort. Or they simply just don't want to contribute any precious money and hope that everything works out. Or they have better things to spend their money on.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Tormentor wrote: If fans are committed then it could happen, very true. But honestly, who's truly committed? If someone slapped the information dealing with what's needed to make a 3D Godzilla Game onto Matt's blog on Deivantart, how many are truly going to stick around after that? How many posts do you expect to see and say: "Oh, well, when I get a job I'll donate some money." or "Oh, I would love to donate into the pool if I had some money to spare/give.". Or the famous " I don't have any money right now, but I'll have some later and contribute." and they never do it. Of course, those pardons aren't without reason I'm sure. It's either the person is tight on money, or they simply don't have it and expect other committed fans to do all the effort. Or they simply just don't want to contribute any precious money and hope that everything works out. Or they have better things to spend their money on.
You are, of course, aware this happens to virtually every fan-sponsored fundraiser, right? But, many still work. You act as though fan campaigns never get anyone anywhere, when, in fact, they do. Star Trek was in the same situation back in the 60's. The fans contributed, and got the show back on the air, and look what it is today. You're basically stating something that happens in EVERY fan mounted campaign, ever. You also ignore the fact that it is possible for these guys to find an investor, which would play a big factor, even if they only put up a third of the budget.
Let's dance.

Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Post by Darth Calypso »

Tormentor wrote:
Svitska Donkun wrote:That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If the Godzilla game we wanted cannot be made with the amount of money raised, we just make a 2D game, or a game with an all original cast. That money doesn't just disappear. If we shoot high for 1,000,000 dollars, and fall short to, say 500,000, what's stopping us from saying "ok, well, we can use this money and try for a more cost effective game because something is better than nothing."?

What's stopping us are the people who would want their money back in some shape or form. If the whole show isn't going anywhere people are gonna want their bills back. And if they don't then that will only cause ill feelings between the side that wants to make a game with what is left, and the side that simply wants their money back. And you know how people are with their money, they'll go to extreme lengths to get it back. Besides that, people invest for different reasons. Sure, someone might have added money into the pool only with the hopes of a great game, but if it all amounts to nothing, and all that can be done is some water down version of a half bake daydream, you'll want your bills back. Especially when you know that there are others things to buy with that money, be it on other consumer goods or needs.
No offense but, that's why it's called donating money. People know the risk when they purposely donate their money to things like this. If the game goes through, then it's just wonderful news but if it doesn't atleast we know that they tried to make one. Plus people can always just re-earn their money by doing their job, it's only a measly $50 more or less which you can earn back in about a days work.(depending on the hours)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... RnvY#t=25s
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

Mr. Strange
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Strange »

Tormentor wrote: If fans are committed then it could happen, very true. But honestly, who's truly committed? If someone slapped the information dealing with what's needed to make a 3D Godzilla Game onto Matt's blog on Deivantart, how many are truly going to stick around after that? How many posts do you expect to see and say: "Oh, well, when I get a job I'll donate some money." or "Oh, I would love to donate into the pool if I had some money to spare/give.". Or the famous " I don't have any money right now, but I'll have some later and contribute." and they never do it. Of course, those pardons aren't without reason I'm sure. It's either the person is tight on money, or they simply don't have it and expect other committed fans to do all the effort. Or they simply just don't want to contribute any precious money and hope that everything works out. Or they have better things to spend their money on.
The great thing about today's world is - we don't care about the answer to that question. Whether or not we actually raise the money is not our present concern. The question in front of us is this:

What amount should we ask for, and what sort of game do we promise, if that amount is raised?

Once we have answers to those questions, whether or not we _actually_ get the money is fairly academic.

For example, I might be able to broker a deal with TOHO for rights to Godzilla. Normally they don't sell rights for individual games, and they require rights payment up front. But I could very possibly broker a deal with them for a specific Kickstarter campaign - saying "If this campaign raises its goal, we will give you X dollars for the rights to Godzilla Kaiju" all of those sort of sideline conditions and riders need to be worked out in advance - that is the stage we are at.

So please, let's keep our discussion on point: How much might we expect to raise, and what sort of game would fans expect for that amount? Have we given any serious thought to a mobile game? Are we sure we want a head-to-head fighting game, rather than a city-smasher? Do we want a story mode / single player? Let's raise our opinions, and I'll figure rough dollar amounts for those suggestions, and then we can try to make a best-guess for what game we'd like to realistically shoot for.
No offense but, that's why it's called donating money. People know the risk when they purposely donate their money to things like this. If the game goes through, then it's just wonderful news but if it doesn't atleast we know that they tried to make one. Plus people can always just re-earn their money by doing their job, it's only a measly $50 more or less which you can earn back in about a days work.(depending on the hours)
Actually, with Kickstarter no money changes hands until the entire amount is pledged. That's one of the beauties of the system.