The Godzilla Generations Chibi Game/Kaiju

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
Mr. X
Keizer

The Godzilla Generations Chibi Game/Kaiju

Post by Mr. X »

So I don't clog up my other thread with this, I'll put it here as well.

In Godzilla: Generations, there are basically two games. One is this one, that everyone knows about. The other is... well, this:

List -
Spoiler:
1. Minilla
2. Rodan
3. Mothra
4. Ganimes
5. Anguirus
6. Maguma
7. Gorosaurus
8. Jet Jaguar
9. King Ghidorah
10. Gigan
11. Spacegodzilla
12. Kamacuras
13. Gaira
14. Biollante
15. Gezora
16. Gabara
17. Godzilla
18. Godzilla 1998 (US)
19. Battra
20. Mechagodzilla
21. Moguera
22. Ebirah
23. Hedorah
24. Megalon
25. Baragon
26. Destoroyah
27. Garu-Garu
28. Varan
29. Manda
30. Dogora
31. Sanda
32. Kumonga
33. Kamoebas
34. Desghidorah
35. Dagahra
36. Eggs (Mothra Larva?)
37. Bebira (Original kaiju)
38. Ritora (Original kaiju)
39. Chibira (Original kaiju)
40. Tsunora (Original kaiju)
41. Junira (Original kaiju)
42. Chibikurora (Original kaiju)
43. Debura (Original kaiju)
44. Metal Godzilla (Original kaiju)
A fighting game called あつめてコロシアム, which means "Collect Colosseum" or something to that effect. It's simple enough, you have two monsters fight each other in a Colosseum. It's similar to Trading Battle in that you don't move around to fight, but each player simply launches an attack on the opponent (typically a beam) until they are defeated.

After the opponent is defeated, your character seems to transform into another, which I guess is how you unlock other kaiju. Note that you don't transform into the kaiju you defeated, but one that appears to be chosen at random (for instance, defeating King Ghidorah as Godzilla unlocks Ebirah, at least in the battle I watched).

There are an impressive 44 different characters in this game (35 classic monsters (plus an egg [???]) and 8 new characters), making this game one of the largest Godzilla games as far as the cast goes. I know nothing on the original kaiju (such as if they are even original kaiju. Maybe they're from something else, but all I can tell you is that whatever it was isn't related to Godzilla. Never seen them before). I had to translate those names myself. Don't know what the deal is with "Metal Godzilla", either.

There's a shocking lack of information on this. Not having the game myself, I'd like to know more. If anyone has info on those new kaiju, please post it.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Godzilla Generations Chibi Game/Kaiju

Post by G1985 »

Mr. X wrote:So I don't clog up my other thread with this, I'll put it here as well.

In Godzilla: Generations, there are basically two games. One is this one, that everyone knows about. The other is... a fighting game called あつめてコロシアム, which means "Collect Colosseum" or something to that effect. It's simple enough, you have two monsters fight each other in a Colosseum. It's similar to Trading Battle in that you don't move around to fight, but each player simply launches an attack on the opponent (typically a beam) until they are defeated.

http://s26.postimg.org/t9wbjzeix/gg_1.png

After the opponent is defeated, your character seems to transform into another, which I guess is how you unlock other kaiju. Note that you don't transform into the kaiju you defeated, but one that appears to be chosen at random (for instance, defeating King Ghidorah as Godzilla unlocks Ebirah, at least in the battle I watched).

There are an impressive 44 different characters in this game (35 classic monsters (plus an egg [???]) and 8 new characters), making this game one of the largest Godzilla games as far as the cast goes. I know nothing on the original kaiju (such as if they are even original kaiju. Maybe they're from something else, but all I can tell you is that whatever it was isn't related to Godzilla. Never seen them before). I had to translate those names myself. Don't know what the deal is with "Metal Godzilla", either.

There's a shocking lack of information on this. Not having the game myself, I'd like to know more. If anyone has info on those new kaiju, please post it.
Awesome - thanks for posting this. Not mentioned is the need to have the Godzilla green VMU unit, with the mini-game still installed on it, inserted in your Dreamcast controller to unlock the Colosseum game mode in the main game.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

It's like these guys auditioned to be a Nintendo game...
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I tried finding info on this for years! looks awesome!!!
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Also, we can safely say, Maguma has been in more video games and films than Bagan.

Also, get rekt Titanosaurus and King Caesar.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

G1985 wrote:Awesome - thanks for posting this. Not mentioned is the need to have the Godzilla green VMU unit, with the mini-game still installed on it, inserted in your Dreamcast controller to unlock the Colosseum game mode in the main game.
Huh, interesting. I didn't know how any of this actually works - I'm the kind of guy who thinks video games are made using black magic and elf tears. If it involves any more work than sticking the game in the system and turning the power on, I quit. ;)
Zilla103192 wrote:I tried finding info on this for years! looks awesome!!!
No problem, wanted to get this out there. :D
LamangoKaijura wrote:Also, get rekt Titanosaurus and King Caesar.
Yeah, I don't get that. In a game that already has over 30 Godzilla monsters, why not add those two (or MKG for that matter)?
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Mr. X wrote:I'm the kind of guy who thinks video games are made using black magic and elf tears. If it involves any more work than sticking the game in the system and turning the power on, I quit. ;)
HAH! Same here. And +1 for Dancan being your favorite kaiju.
Never played Generations due to thinking it too much trouble to gather all the materials necessary to play a Japan-only DC game. But I always knew this little mode existed through a handful of pictures but was surprised to see that nobody ever talked about it and a gameplay video did not seem to exist. Am I wrong?
Monsters are the real people.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Also, we can safely say, Maguma has been in more video games and films than Bagan.

So has Gorosaurus, actually; not only was he in Trading Battle, he was also in this, too.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Hey Bagan's one game appearance is enough, any more and the universe would overload with Bagan

Anywho, metal Godzilla was this...for lack of better words "thing" in some odd comic series. His plump apearence as a chibi is actually really accurate to his actual appearance but I'm not sure about the watermelon appearance...
Resized Image

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Beef Bigshot wrote:Hey Bagan's one game appearance is enough, any more and the universe would overload with Bagan

Anywho, metal Godzilla was this...for lack of better words "thing" in some odd comic series. His plump apearence as a chibi is actually really accurate to his actual appearance but I'm not sure about the watermelon appearance...
Gezora has been in like, four games. Holy crap.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Jatahaxe wrote: Never played Generations due to thinking it too much trouble to gather all the materials necessary to play a Japan-only DC game. But I always knew this little mode existed through a handful of pictures but was surprised to see that nobody ever talked about it and a gameplay video did not seem to exist. Am I wrong?
Few people talk about it because a) Generations suffered horrible reviews upon it's debut, usually from people who never played the game past the second level, and b) even fewer knew about the coliseum mode because they didn't own the corresponding VMU.

It's really not that hard, but it's harder now than it was when the Dreamcast system was still on the market. I've been playing Generations (including the coliseum mode and the mini-game) for over a decade now on an unmodded American system, and I do it with the Gameshark CDX system. If you go looking for Gamesharks on eBay, keep in mind that you need both the disk *and* the memory cartridge for it to work. Also keep in mind that your Dreamcast system has to have an earlier manufacture date. Anything manufactured prior to 2001 can work with the Gameshark, I believe.

If you can find a green Godzilla VMU, make sure that the tamogatchi-like mini-game is still present in the VMU's memory. You need the VMU plugged into your Dreamcast controller, with the mini-game intact, and a saved mini-game character stored on it, to unlock and play the coliseum mode in the full game. Note that there are also Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Gamera VMUs made for the Dreamcast. I believe these also contain mini-games, but not the exact mini-game needed to unlock Generations' coliseum mode. You can see all of them, briefly, in the below ad:

Japanese Godzilla Dreamcast ads

Gojora
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojora »

Is it me or is this game's underrated?
TK's Touhou resident.
Basically the only guy here that likes the Shadow Arena.
RIP Shadow Arena, it was my favorite place...
Resized Image
Kaijunator wrote:
Derzerb wrote:Apocalymon makes this fight one-sided since he can flat out delete enemies or he could just wipe out the entire dimension.
Delete enemies. Lol.
Apocalymon: I want to delete my opponents. *goes to computer* and delete! *presses delete button, all enemies get deleted*.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Jatahaxe wrote:
Mr. X wrote:I'm the kind of guy who thinks video games are made using black magic and elf tears. If it involves any more work than sticking the game in the system and turning the power on, I quit. ;)
HAH! Same here. And +1 for Dancan being your favorite kaiju.
Never played Generations due to thinking it too much trouble to gather all the materials necessary to play a Japan-only DC game. But I always knew this little mode existed through a handful of pictures but was surprised to see that nobody ever talked about it and a gameplay video did not seem to exist. Am I wrong?
No public gameplay videos. I was only able to find like two lists of the characters in the chibi game, too. It's been virtually nonexistent from the internet.
Jiragozira14 wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Also, we can safely say, Maguma has been in more video games and films than Bagan.

So has Gorosaurus, actually; not only was he in Trading Battle, he was also in this, too.
Don't forget King of the Monsters, Godzilla, too.
Beef Bigshot wrote:Anywho, metal Godzilla was this...for lack of better words "thing" in some odd comic series. His plump apearence as a chibi is actually really accurate to his actual appearance but I'm not sure about the watermelon appearance...
I've never heard this - do you have any pictures of it?
G1985 wrote:
Jatahaxe wrote: Never played Generations due to thinking it too much trouble to gather all the materials necessary to play a Japan-only DC game. But I always knew this little mode existed through a handful of pictures but was surprised to see that nobody ever talked about it and a gameplay video did not seem to exist. Am I wrong?
Few people talk about it because a) Generations suffered horrible reviews upon it's debut, usually from people who never played the game past the second level, and b) even fewer knew about the coliseum mode because they didn't own the corresponding VMU.

It's really not that hard, but it's harder now than it was when the Dreamcast system was still on the market. I've been playing Generations (including the coliseum mode and the mini-game) for over a decade now on an unmodded American system, and I do it with the Gameshark CDX system. If you go looking for Gamesharks on eBay, keep in mind that you need both the disk *and* the memory cartridge for it to work. Also keep in mind that your Dreamcast system has to have an earlier manufacture date. Anything manufactured prior to 2001 can work with the Gameshark, I believe.

If you can find a green Godzilla VMU, make sure that the tamogatchi-like mini-game is still present in the VMU's memory. You need the VMU plugged into your Dreamcast controller, with the mini-game intact, and a saved mini-game character stored on it, to unlock and play the coliseum mode in the full game. Note that there are also Mothra, King Ghidorah, and Gamera VMUs made for the Dreamcast. I believe these also contain mini-games, but not the exact mini-game needed to unlock Generations' coliseum mode. You can see all of them, briefly, in the below ad:

Japanese Godzilla Dreamcast ads
Cool, thanks for the info here. :)
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Gojora wrote:Is it me or is this game's underrated?
While I love the game, I'll admit it's pure fan service, and also admit that the game's first city/level isn't terribly inspiring. I remember one American reviewer criticizing the choice of background music as sounding like a "marching band". I believe that reviewer was talking about the Mecha-Godzilla theme played when using that character in level 1!

I can't think of more than one review that even mentioned VMUs and the coliseum mode, and the most frequent complaints were about not understanding how to "win" a level. My guess is that these reviewers never played beyond the first level when writing their review. They missed the larger, more spectacular cities that occur later in the game, missed playing as any of the unlockable characters, and missed unlocking the movie trailers and the VMU/coliseum mode. I believe they panned the game based on their uninformed, thirty-second impressions of level 1.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

So... as far as the minigame goes, has anyone been able to actually make the little sucker evolve? If I'm understanding the requirements, I'd need to obtain not one but two Godzilla VMUs so that the monsters battle each other and evolve enough to become compatible with the Godzilla Generations add-on. They have something like 3 or 4 stages before they reach their last evolution.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

GigaBowserG wrote:So... as far as the minigame goes, has anyone been able to actually make the little sucker evolve? If I'm understanding the requirements, I'd need to obtain not one but two Godzilla VMUs so that the monsters battle each other and evolve enough to become compatible with the Godzilla Generations add-on. They have something like 3 or 4 stages before they reach their last evolution.
I've done it, and with just one VMU. The minigame that's on the VMU itself is a bit like a Tamogatchi - you hatch the kaiju, feed it, play with it, etc. and grow it to maturity. Battling with other kaiju (and winning) IIRC is only required if you want to mutate your kaiju into another form.