75 Godzilla vs 99 Godzilla?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Re: 75 Godzilla vs 99 Godzilla?

Post by Megalon-5 »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:Take it this way. There is no place that says the 1999 Godzilla is Minilla, but there is also no place that says he isn't.
Because it doesn't need to be said. It's obvious that the 1999 Godzilla isn't Minya, otherwise Minya wouldn't be there.
Where did the first Minya come from? Exactly.
You remember how Godzilla had the hots for Daiyo in the previous movie right? ;)

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:Take it this way. There is no place that says the 1999 Godzilla is Minilla, but there is also no place that says he isn't.
Because it doesn't need to be said. It's obvious that the 1999 Godzilla isn't Minya, otherwise Minya wouldn't be there.
Where did the first Minya come from? Exactly.
...An egg. From Son Of Godzilla.

I really don't see what that has to do with anything.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Tamura wrote:If Godzilla '99 was Minya, wouldn't they have just called him Minya? This isn't Pokémon; when characters evolve in the Tohoverse they hold on to their original names (except for Megaguirus).
I may be wrong, but I do not think Minilla was ever referred to by name in ''SOG''. Only in ''DAM''.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Tamura wrote:If Godzilla '99 was Minya, wouldn't they have just called him Minya? This isn't Pokémon; when characters evolve in the Tohoverse they hold on to their original names (except for Megaguirus).
I may be wrong, but I do not think Minilla was ever referred to by name in ''SOG''. Only in ''DAM''.
Who cares? It doesn't matter if they called him Minya in Son Of Godzilla or not, because this is Destroy All Monsters that we're referring to.

Tamura has a point. If the Godzilla in DAM was Minya, they would just call him Minya.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I only really recall Minya being called "The Son of Godzilla" in DAM (I've only seen the Frontier dub so I have no clue about the other English versions) and he was called Minya in Godzilla's Revenge.

Doesn't matter though if they don't call him Minya in DAM, it's still the same character.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Megalon-5 wrote:I only really recall Minya being called "The Son of Godzilla" in DAM (I've only seen the Frontier dub so I have no clue about the other English versions) and he was called Minya in Godzilla's Revenge.

Doesn't matter though if they don't call him Minya in DAM, it's still the same character.
The Japanese version called him Minilla.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Japanese promotional materials and the trailer to SON OF GODZILLA called him ミニラ (Minira), aka Minya/Minilla.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

What if ''Son of Godzilla'' takes place in the 90's or 80's, and the "real" Godzilla dies at the end? So Minilla would grow from their. And don't ask where the Minilla in ''DAM'' came from. I don't know. Just because we didn't see it depicted on film, doesn't mean it never happened. (In my cray mind at least.)

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I really don't think it happened in the 80's-90's, I doubt Toho was thinking that at the time. Plus Godzilla dying from a snowstorm? He was stuck in an iceberg for 7 years, he can handle some snow.

Plus, Manda could be Ghidorah's long lost father. They're both dragons. Just because we don't see it happen doesn't mean it's not true.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

What if ''Son of Godzilla'' takes place in the 90's or 80's, and the "real" Godzilla dies at the end?
...No. Son Of Godzilla takes place in 1967. The year the film was made. All Showa films take place the year they were made (except for Destory All Monsters).
And don't ask where the Minilla in ''DAM'' came from. I don't know.
Then your entire "theory" of the '99 Godzilla being Minya makes even less sense.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I give up. Take it away everyone else....

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Rats. This shit was starting to get really funny too!
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Godzilla and Minya aren't names, they're ranks. You see, after Shodai Goji died in '54 a second Godzilla (who was then only Minya rank) transformed into the Godzilla we all saw fighting Anguirus. In 1967, a new Minya was hatched. Godzilla liked the kid's "moxie" so he decided that he could have the honor of being his toadie. Somewhere between '67 and '99 (75 according to the canon I've decided to force down your throats) that Godzilla retired, and the '67 Minya was promoted to Godzilla rank. Sometime before '99 another Minya was drafted so that the current Godzilla would have a subordinate to kick around. After the strenuous battle with the latest Ghidorah at the end of the millennium Godzilla ranked creature #3 retired to a sugar plantation in Hawaii and the '99 Minya was promoted/transformed into..... MireGoji. You're welcome.

I guess godzillasaurs are like Sith. Rule of 2, and what have you.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

All in favor of closing this thread.....

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Tyler wrote:You can smell the condescension in this thread. Can people explain things around here without acting that way?
You seem surprised, though I can't imagine why.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

@Tyler- Just having some fun. So lighten the fuck up!

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

We actually did. The answer was yes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by RedZillaKing on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

That was my favorite-ever post by G2K. (No sarcasm intended) Preach it brotha'!

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:Who cares? And why? Why does anyone give a shit about this?

"Is 75 Goji stronger than 99 Goji?"

WHO. CARES.

What does the answer to that question solve? What does it accomplish? Nothing. And why does anyone want to ask such a question? The real answer should be obvious to all.

The story of DAM takes place in the future, but the actual movie was made in the late 60's, so it reflects the style of those movies. This is why Godzilla fights differently, because the styles of these movies changed over REAL TIME, not movie time.

See how easy that was? Why cant people deduce such simple answers to their own random questions themselves?

I sweat to God, it's one thing if someone has a genuine question that warrants some kind of serious discussion, but nowadays it seems people will post any old random thought they have and expect everyone else to just roll with it. And the worst part is, people do!

"I dont know. What if Bagan really WAS in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah!?"

Next thing ya know, people are gonna start asking questions like "why does Godzilla look different in every movie? Is there more than one Godzilla in Japan?"

I know it sounds like I'm going off on a random-ass tangent, but this really has been buggin' me for quite a while.

Some questions are best kept to yourself.
One of the best posts I've read in awhile, and couldn't have said better myself. Once in awhile these kinds of discussions can be interesting...but usually, it just becomes utterly pointless, silly, and childish (Gee, what if Destroyah was in King Kong vs Godzilla???! :roll: ) Instead of people posting brand new threads for these kinds of questions, why not just post these questions in an existing thread or fantasy battles section?

As for who would "win" in a battle between G75 and G99....neither, as the GIANT CONDOR!!! :shock: would swoop in and defeat them both....
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

I generally just ignore that DAM takes place in 1999, because the filmmakers did too, evidently.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/