75 Godzilla vs 99 Godzilla?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
miguelnuva
Justiriser

75 Godzilla vs 99 Godzilla?

Post by miguelnuva »

Now due to destroy all Monsters being made in 68 but set in 99 Godzilla's fighting style still reflects his early Showa fighting style more than his late Showa fighting style that appeared in the 70's.

Now if 75 Godzilla is Showa Godzilla at his best are we to assume that 99 Showa Godzilla is stronger, the same or weaker than his 75 self?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: 75 Godzilla vs 99 Godzilla?

Post by MaxRebo320 »

It is possible that the 99 Godzilla is an adult Minilla.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Most likely 99 Godzilla is Minya grown up, and the previous Godzilla died of old age.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzilla '68's fighting style is the way it was because he was portrayed by Nakajima, and the Godzilla's from '73'-'75 were portrayed by three different actors...Time has nothing to do with any of it. As fans, we just need to ignore the fact that the films after DAM take place before it, chronologically.

I don't even understand the comparison to begin with. We know nothing about Godzilla in GODZILLA 2000, other than he's attacked Japan at least once before. Making crazy fan assumptions about his "power" is....well, just pointless, really. Additionally: Who cares?
Kiryu2012 wrote:Most likely 99 Godzilla is Minya grown up, and the previous Godzilla died of old age.
No.

I doubt the 24 years between TERROR OF MECAHGODZILLA and DESTROY ALL MONSTERS were enough for Godzilla to "die of old age". Even then, where would the other Minya have come from? :eh:
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Well, it is possible Godzilla died of something else, possibly in battle. Remember, 20 years have passed.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

You're really reaching at straws dude. It's the same Godzilla.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yes, it's obviously the same Godzilla. Minya's presence in DAM should be proof of that. As for Godzilla's fighting style changes... well, was it ever stated how long he was imprisoned at Monsterland? Could be he just got rusty from sitting around for a few years.

I personally, however, am inclined to ignore the timeline. I just treat DAM as being set between SoG and AMA. As of the end of SoG, if memory serves, we had logical explanations for how all of the monsters could've been captured, most being 'dead' or otherwise incapacitated from events in prior movies. It also takes care of minor details like Godzilla's personality/fighting style changes.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Everybody is entitled to their own personal canon.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Lol! I think I found my new sig.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Yes, everyone can be entitled to their own canon. But if any kind of practical or constructive discussion is going to happen about the canon or the way the films interact, then everyone has to be on the same page and the easiest way for that is to take the what the films say as the truth.

I don't see any point in disregarding one of the few pieces of hard factual information we ever get out of it "feeling better". It makes alot more sense to have a solid timeline of starting in '54 then coming to a climax in '99.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

MaxRebo320 wrote:It is possible that the 99 Godzilla is an adult Minilla.
It is possible that the 99 Godzilla is Godzilla.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I really think Honda and everyone else didn't care if Godzilla died or Minya grew up or such. It was the "final" film of the series, of course they're going to throw in everybody no matter if they died or not. They wanted to make a good film first and worry about continuity later.

Also, the whole "I'm entitled to my personal canon" business is silly. Of course you're free to view the films as you'd like to view them, but that doesn't make it canon for everyone else. :P

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Take it this way. There is no place that says the 1999 Godzilla is Minilla, but there is also no place that says he isn't.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

There's no place that says King Kong isn't a mutated yeti from Half Human, but there's no place that says he isn't.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Take it this way. There is no place that says the 1999 Godzilla is Minilla, but there is also no place that says he isn't.
Because it doesn't need to be said. It's obvious that the 1999 Godzilla isn't Minya, otherwise Minya wouldn't be there.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

If Godzilla '99 was Minya, wouldn't they have just called him Minya? This isn't Pokémon; when characters evolve in the Tohoverse they hold on to their original names (except for Megaguirus).
Last edited by Tamura on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Tamura wrote: This isn't Pokémon.
What's that? Minya's evolving!

Your Minya evolved into Godzilla!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:Take it this way. There is no place that says the 1999 Godzilla is Minilla, but there is also no place that says he isn't.
Because it doesn't need to be said. It's obvious that the 1999 Godzilla isn't Minya, otherwise Minya wouldn't be there.
Where did the first Minya come from? Exactly.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Megalon-5 wrote:What's that? Minya's evolving!

Your Minya evolved into Godzilla!
I lol'd. Someone should make a .gif out of that.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Where did the first Minya come from? Exactly.
Minya hatched from an egg that was uncovered on Solgell Island.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury