75 Godzilla vs 99 Godzilla?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Re: 75 Godzilla vs 99 Godzilla?

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Svitska Donkun wrote:I said that I just ignored it, not that it didn't exist, for one thing. If the filmmakers don't give a shit about making it more clear or consistent, why should I? Clearly it isn't an important detail at all.
I'll just ignore when the movie lets me know what cities we're in, since it just makes more sense for the franchise to be on Mars (big monsters could develop in lesser gravity, after all). If it wasn't a big deal or important, then it wouldn't have been added. The film would have been just fine without the added detail of the time and date, but it is there for a reason. The seventies and the late-sixties films have more fluidity because they don't explicitly state when they are set. That's fine, however DAM just straight up tells you when it's happening. I don't see what you could possibly want other then a straight up "THIS IS WHERE AND WHEN WE ARE" for clarity.
DAM take place kind of outside the main continuity's. It takes place in the future, it has monsters that are not within the Showa Godzilla timeline, it has Mothra without it her fairies, and despite it being 30 years in the future, Minilla hasn't grown or anything. For all intents and purposes this film can be fit into the timeline the same way a movie like GMK or GFW can be fit into a timeline, and that is, not at all.
This is a franchise where monsters pop up constantly and we don't know the circumstances of either the absence of the Fairies or the growth rate for creatures like Godzilla. That doesn't mean that it's in a completely separate universe because they don't sit you down and let you know about everything that's going on.

The events of Godzilla's containment from GRA aren't entirely consistent with how and where he escaped from in King Kong vs. Godzilla; just be a new continuity.

You might as well call Monster Zero its own continuity (Mothra is nowhere to be found afterall).

Oh shit! despite appearing exactly where he was last seen in Rodan and the Ghidrah directly referring to events of that film, no one mentioned that there was two Rodans. Must be a new continuity.

Op, flashbacks in War of the Gargantuas are inconsistent with events in Frankenstein Conquers the World (and why is no one talking about Baragon?), despite being marketed as a direct sequel, planned as a direct sequel, and centering around the threat of Frankenstein's cells from the previous film, it must be a new continuity, though.

It's equally as removed as some Millennium movies, and I think it should be looked at the same way. The movie takes place within it's own self contained universe. And it's not like the series wouldn't do EXACTLY THAT one year later with Godzilla's Revenge.
I don't see how a later film (with much clearer goals and intentions to make itself a Meta-film unconnected from the rest of the series) creates a precedent for DAM being its own separate thing.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Svitska Donkun wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote: I think the whole franchise takes place on Mars. The filmmakers were really loose with their science after all.

Destroy All Monsters doesn't take place in the time frame the film says it does. The filmmakers were really loose with continuity after all.

Please enlighten me as to the difference. I would love to understand this newly accepted mindset of ignoring concrete information the films give us for no apparent reason.
I said that I just ignored it, not that it didn't exist, for one thing. If the filmmakers don't give a shit about making it more clear or consistent, why should I? Clearly it isn't an important detail at all. and still, what you are saying has no relevance tom my recent comment. DAM take place kind of outside the main continuity's. It takes place in the future, it has monsters that are not within the Showa Godzilla timeline, it has Mothra without it her fairies, and despite it being 30 years in the future, Minilla hasn't grown or anything. For all intents and purposes this film can be fit into the timeline the same way a movie like GMK or GFW can be fit into a timeline, and that is, not at all. It's equally as removed as some Millennium movies, and I think it should be looked at the same way. The movie takes place within it's own self contained universe. And it's not like the series wouldn't do EXACTLY THAT one year later with Godzilla's Revenge.
Expect we have no idea what happened between 75 and 99 in DAM. The only thing that contradicts DAM is Godzilla reverting back to his more animal fighting style. Which my brother came up with a theory by the way to that.

Godzilla had been contained on Monster Land for so long he forgot his 70's fighting style and just reverted back to his natural fighting style.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

Why don't we have the "eatin' popcorn" emoticon here at TK?

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Plus, Minya might just be some weird creature Godzilla adopted and not actually from his species. As for Varan, Baragon and Gorosaurus, didn't Toho say that the ones in DAM were different individuals from the ones we see in the other films?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ There are some Japanese books that specify that they're apparently different. I'm not 100% about Goro and Baragon, but I know for a fact that "Varan 2" has been listed in some books.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Goji wrote:^ There are some Japanese books that specify that they're apparently different. I'm not 100% about Goro and Baragon, but I know for a fact that "Varan 2" has been listed in some books.
I think it's safe to assume that the Gorosaurus and Baragon are different creatures than the ones in their previous films. Since the previous Gorosaurus and Baragon are kinda...dead.

Unless Fuji and Glenn discovered the Necronomicon on Planet X and resurrected all the dead monsters (which would be an amazing movie) or something like that, I'm going to say Bara and Goro stayed dead.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Unless Fuji and Glenn discovered the Necronomicon on Planet X and resurrected all the dead monsters (which would be an amazing movie) or something like that, I'm going to say Bara and Goro stayed dead.
Good god that would be the greatest film ever created.

But yeah, it'd make sense for Goro, Bara and Varan to stay dead rather than rising from the grave. Goji, did one of those books say anything about Manda in DAM being a different individual?

Also, my tinfoil hat is probably on two tight, but if the Japanese books state that the monsters in DAM (Manda,Goro, Bara and Varan) are different, does that imply that respective films those creatures appeared in occurred in the Showa timeline? I'm probably really over thinking this, but I'm wondering if there's any Japanese sources that say so.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Megalon-5 wrote:
But yeah, it'd make sense for Goro, Bara and Varan to stay dead rather than rising from the grave. Goji, did one of those books say anything about Manda in DAM being a different individual?
To be honest, I have no clue. We should probably ask Gamu on Fb about it.
Also, my tinfoil hat is probably on two tight, but if the Japanese books state that the monsters in DAM (Manda,Goro, Bara and Varan) are different, does that imply that respective films those creatures appeared in occurred in the Showa timeline? I'm probably really over thinking this, but I'm wondering if there's any Japanese sources that say so.
You bring up a good point. I think it's possible that they're only referred to that way for the sake of reference, since some of these books mention all of Toho's fantasy films (and not just the Godzills series), so in certain instances, they have to add the number to avoid confusion.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Yeah, if anyone would know, Gamu would. I'll ask him next time I'm chatting with him.

At least the Japanese books don't call 90's Mechagodzilla "Mechagodzilla 2". :lol:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: Unless Fuji and Glenn discovered the Necronomicon on Planet X and resurrected all the dead monsters (which would be an amazing movie) or something like that, I'm going to say Bara and Goro stayed dead.
Actually, the reality is that they were among the monsters resurrected by Geronimon for his invasion. :lol:

Hmm, that sounded funnier in my head....

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Um, I think people misunderstood me.

I'm not saying DAM's in 1968, I'm saying Hedorah through Terror could possible be after AFTER 1999.

But regardless, posts withdrawn. I apologize for inconveniencing everyone.

EDIT: Hey, if the question's answered, why the fuck is this topic still open?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JVM wrote:Um, I think people misunderstood me.

I'm not saying DAM's in 1968, I'm saying Hedorah through Terror could possible be after AFTER 1999.

EDIT: Hey, if the question's answered, why the skreeonk is this topic still open?
Expect it's confirmed they take place before DAM.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

miguelnuva wrote:

EDIT: Hey, if the question's answered, why the skreeonk is this topic still open?
I withdrew the posts already, Jesus tapdancing Christ, what the hell does it take to keep you people satisfied?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JVM wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:

I withdrew the posts already, Jesus tapdancing Christ, what the hell does it take to keep you people satisfied?
I apologize I didn't read your full post.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mechagodzilla2
Ronin

Post by Mechagodzilla2 »

This should be moved to fantasy matches.