75 Godzilla vs 99 Godzilla?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Re: 75 Godzilla vs 99 Godzilla?

Post by Hipster Thor »

I generally just ignore that DAM takes place in 1999, because the filmmakers did too, evidently.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

(Removed because I'm a pussy.)
Last edited by JVM on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I don't even know why people even bother thinking about continuity in the Showa era, much less discussing it. The people making these films wanted us to enjoy each individual feature as it is, and didn't care so much about things making sense or tying up nicely.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

(Removed because I'm a pussy.)
Last edited by JVM on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

JVM wrote:
Svitska Donkun wrote:I generally just ignore that DAM takes place in 1999, because the filmmakers did too, evidently.
Bravo, Donkun, I totally agree with this actually.

I'm not even sure why we go to such an extra mile to keep the following six films behind it. Even though DAM technically takes place in the future, and yes, it is made a BFD about it being 1999, the actual years don't come up a ton in the other films, and it's been pointed out before we see military advancements from DAM reappear in future films. The only real supporting reason I see to set it in the future is Ghidorah's re-appearance in GvG, but mind you, the early drafts of Gigan went out to resurrect him, so it seems clear to me the intention was to keep the timeline in order of release.

Sometimes I think the fan insistence on putting DAM in 1999 creates a lot more continuity errors than it's worth.
What possible advantages could swamping the films around accomplish? What are you creatively achieving? What continuity errors are you solving by blatantly disregarding times and dates provided by the films? If you think this is a perfectly reasonable and logical thing to do, then why aren't you more actively promoting the idea that any Godzilla film can take place at any time in any continuity?

"No, it's OK young fans. Godzilla 2000 can happen after Godzilla vs. Gigan because it feels right!"

All this is is allowing confusion to run rampant in a franchise that already has a language barrier and almost forty years of sketchy western information. The audacity of questioning people for excepting facts presented by the films themselves is straight out bizarre.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Plus, if you want to go by the Japanese dialogue, the narrator says "near the end of the 20th century." No matter what version is being watched, the film takes place long after 1968. I don't know why anybody would disregard that information.
Last edited by Tamura on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

also the fact that Ghidora is forced to attack the earth monsters alone and doesn't escape is prove enough to me that DAM takes place in 99.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

Lol @ arguing canon in a franchise that has no defined canon.
You could just as easily consider DAM in the same way you can consider any of the Millennium films a fun "what-if" movie not connected to anything in the past or future. Which is how I look at it, and I think it's how it should be looked at.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
Let's dance.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Svitska Donkun wrote:Lol @ arguing canon in a franchise that has no defined canon.
You could just as easily consider DAM in the same way you can consider any of the Millennium films a fun "what-if" movie not connected to anything in the past or future. Which is how I look at it, and I think it's how it should be looked at.
Why is everyone saying the showa series has no real timeline when their's one on the main tohokingdom site for one. The showa time line is not that hard to follow just follow every Godzilla movie and then put Destroy all monsters after TOMG.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote:
Svitska Donkun wrote:Lol @ arguing canon in a franchise that has no defined canon.
Why is everyone saying the showa series has no real timeline when their's one on the main tohokingdom site for one. The showa time line is not that hard to follow just follow every Godzilla movie and then put Destroy all monsters after TOMG.
That's not the hard part to follow. The hard part is deciding which non-Godzilla Toho monster flicks fit in, like Rodan, or Mothra, or WAr of the Gargantuas. What fits in and what doesn't? That's where all the confusion is.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
That's not the hard part to follow. The hard part is deciding which non-Godzilla Toho monster flicks fit in, like Rodan, or Mothra, or WAr of the Gargantuas. What fits in and what doesn't? That's where all the confusion is.
Well Rodan fits it is mentioned in Ghidorah

Frankenstien and War of the gargantuas might fit.

Mothra 61 I don't know some say it doesn't fit others say 61 mothra is the one that battles Godzilla in 64.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

RODAN is definitely not mentioned in GHIDORAH. The only things that "link" them together is that another Rodan emerges from Mount Aso.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I think the whole franchise takes place on Mars. The filmmakers were really loose with their science afterall, so I can disregard blatant pieces of information to the contrary.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I think Jet Jaguar is Kong in a robot suit. Similar powers were used by Minya in Godzilla's Revenge which must be canon because there's no continuity, so my JJ-Kong idea has to be correct.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

^^ Holy...YEAH! That explains how he could reprogram himself to grow larger!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

What is this topic even about anymore?

DAM takes place at the end of the 20th century, so it's clearly not in the 60's, like Tamura already mentioned.

Is this what it's come to? Blatantly ignoring facts presented to us in these films for the sake of....conversation?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

TokyoVigilante wrote:
I think the whole franchise takes place on Mars. The filmmakers were really loose with their science afterall, so I can disregard blatant pieces of information to the contrary.
This is a complete misrepresentation of what I said to the point that I wonder whether you read my post at all.
Let's dance.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Svitska Donkun wrote:
TokyoVigilante wrote:
This is a complete misrepresentation of what I said to the point that I wonder whether you read my post at all.
I think the whole franchise takes place on Mars. The filmmakers were really loose with their science after all.

Destroy All Monsters doesn't take place in the time frame the film says it does. The filmmakers were really loose with continuity after all.

Please enlighten me as to the difference. I would love to understand this newly accepted mindset of ignoring concrete information the films give us for no apparent reason.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

NSZ wrote:
JVM wrote:^ So the 70's Showa movies take place in the 70's... for absolutely no reason except that it hasn't been contradicted elsewhere?
The 70's movies take place in the 70's cause everything is so fucking dated in those films, from clothes to hairstyle. In DAM, they get away with it because the film expressively says it takes place at the end of the 20th century.

There's an acid-trip disco scene in Hedorah, for fuck sakes. Disco managing to survive past the 70's is a more ridiculous notion than a robot that can reprogram itself.
While this is an excellent point, the idea of the seventies films being fluid (unless they flat-out say otherwise) isn't a bad notion, it's just easier to assume they take place in their years of release. When we start ignoring hard and solid facts stated by the movies (NOT special effects hick-ups or plot holes) to create a tighter continuity, then you're just establishing precedent for spreading more misinformation and confusion in a franchise that has almost sixties years and cultural and language barriers to contend with. There are plenty of people who still aren't 100% with the movies from the nineties for these same reasons.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

TokyoVigilante wrote: I think the whole franchise takes place on Mars. The filmmakers were really loose with their science after all.

Destroy All Monsters doesn't take place in the time frame the film says it does. The filmmakers were really loose with continuity after all.

Please enlighten me as to the difference. I would love to understand this newly accepted mindset of ignoring concrete information the films give us for no apparent reason.
I said that I just ignored it, not that it didn't exist, for one thing. If the filmmakers don't give a shit about making it more clear or consistent, why should I? Clearly it isn't an important detail at all. and still, what you are saying has no relevance tom my recent comment. DAM take place kind of outside the main continuity's. It takes place in the future, it has monsters that are not within the Showa Godzilla timeline, it has Mothra without it her fairies, and despite it being 30 years in the future, Minilla hasn't grown or anything. For all intents and purposes this film can be fit into the timeline the same way a movie like GMK or GFW can be fit into a timeline, and that is, not at all. It's equally as removed as some Millennium movies, and I think it should be looked at the same way. The movie takes place within it's own self contained universe. And it's not like the series wouldn't do EXACTLY THAT one year later with Godzilla's Revenge.
Let's dance.