What Godzilla movies do you actually like?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Spuro
Keizer

Re: What Godzilla movies do you actually like?

Post by Spuro »

Gawdziller wrote:I just watched Mothra 3 two days ago in a bundle of other flicks I didn't own. It's conceptually stupid, but at its heart I find it less obnoxious than the other two. I had fun watching it, which is more than I can say for the second one, and probably half of the first one.

I have less of an issue with Mothra going back in time itself than I did with her actual plan. She intended to kill Ghidorah before the extintion of the dinosaurs? Really? The alteration of history that would be implied by this is insane considering Ghidorah was supposedly the one to bring their extinction.

And what's up with Belvira? I would have thought Ghidorah's attack would have been in tune with her beliefs, yet she's against him? Is this the same Belvira who unleashed Desghidorah to turn the Earth into a barren wasteland? Or was she just PMSing that day?
If I recall correctly, it was Death Ghidorah that brought about the extinction of the dinosaurs. Cretaceous Ghidorah was just... there. Maybe he got repelled by an army of Prehistoric Mothra Larvas, or something.

As for Belvira... I have no idea. I think she might have changed during the events of the second film, or maybe she just got pissed over the fact that Grand Ghidorah tried to eat her as well. I dunno.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

BigBaragon wrote:I am very fond of Godzilla vs. Mothra, the 90s version. It is the best of the 90s films that I have seen, by far.
I personally don't care either way about that one, but as you've probably gathered, calling it the best of the Heisei series isn't a common opinion around here. Which other '90s movies have you seen?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by BigBaragon »

Legion, you bet; really. It has a nicely woven, sweet sentiment to it. If you watch this one with a child's mind, it really has many lovely aspects. Like many great sci-fi and horror films, this one really is a moral 'fairytale'.

Jag, Well, I care as much about 'common opinion' as I care about leaves in the breeze, so...
As for which I have seen, I have seen Mecha-G, Destroyah, Ghidorah, and 1984. I need to see Biollante and a couple others.

I liked Ghidorah QUITE a bit, and Destroyah had many aspects that blew me AWAY in the theatre. I love them BOTH, but Mothra just happens to top 'em all, cant explain really "why" any more than I already have.

:g2k:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

BigBaragon wrote: Jag, Well, I care as much about 'common opinion' as I care about leaves in the breeze, so...
Same here. It's just rare to see a fan of that movie, is all.

BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by BigBaragon »

JAGzilla wrote:
BigBaragon wrote: Jag, Well, I care as much about 'common opinion' as I care about leaves in the breeze, so...
Same here. It's just rare to see a fan of that movie, is all.

I love so many aspects of the 90s films, but there seems to be a missing element of 'FUN' in (most of) the ones I have seen. Love Mecha-Ghidorah, those electrified tendrils and that whole thing....GREAT stuff. Love the Dorats and the Terminator-like cyborg guy attacking the moving car...much good stuff, for sure. 8-)

Favorites? Thats too tough. I'd say that Godzilla 2000 is high up there, as is Final Wars. I know that many fans toss dog shit on Final War, but I think that its dope on a rope, yo. I could write paragraphs on why it delights me in so many ways, but I'm sure it has all been said before.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

Here's my top 10

Godzilla 2000
Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla (Such a guilty pleasure)
Godzilla vs Destoroyah
Godzilla Tokyo SOS
GMK
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II
Son of Godzilla
Mothra vs Godzilla
Godzilla vs Mothra (Another guilty pleasure, also the first Godzilla film I ever saw other than GINO)

Honorable mentions: Godzilla vs Hedorah, Godzilla vs Gigan

I wish I could have films like Biollante or King of the Monsters on here, but due to lack of money and the fact that I hate buying off the internet I have not seen them

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I was watching G vs KG not long ago, and it is a good flick.

M11 is the Jet Jaguar of the Hesie era. He starts out as a pawn of the villians, going with a car scene instead of a helicopter. But then he becomes a force for good, saving Emmy and Tarasawa and aiding Emmy in piloting MechaKingGhidorah.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by BigBaragon »

edgaguirus wrote:I was watching G vs KG not long ago, and it is a good flick.

M11 is the Jet Jaguar of the Hesie era. He starts out as a pawn of the villians, going with a car scene instead of a helicopter. But then he becomes a force for good, saving Emmy and Tarasawa and aiding Emmy in piloting MechaKingGhidorah.

Or maybe like a Katsura? A cyborg that was being used for evil but 'became' good?

I enjoy G vs. KG as well, lot of good stuff there. 8-)

Gojisan866
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gojisan866 »

Godzilla 2000 - It was the first Godzilla (and not to mention, overall kaiju) movie I saw, so it'll always have a special place in my heart.
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla - I remember when I was younger, this was the movie I rented over and over again from the local video rental store. My mom ordered Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II from Amazon, and I got really excited, 'cause I guess the concept of a robotic version of Godzilla really entertained me. Still does. :D
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack - Same reason why a lot of people enjoy it, it's just a great film. Beer gut Goji FTW.
Godzilla vs. Gigan - Similar to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, I remember going to the library and checking out that dual tape with both of those every time I went there.
I'm back? I guess. Haven't posted here in a loooooong time.

BigBaragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by BigBaragon »

About to watch GMK this afternoon for the first time. (I thought that I had seen this one, but its not ringing a bell...)

:g2k:

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Godzilla Films I Like:

Godzilla (1954)
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster
Invasion of the Astro-Monster
Son of Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs. Biollante
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS

Godzilla Films I Don't Like or Have Mixed Feeling About:
Godzilla Raids Again
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla: Final Wars

I used to consider Terror of Mechagodzilla my favorite, but I didn't like it the last time I saw it. I don't know what to think of that one anymore...

The rest I haven't seen; or I have seen but its been such a long time I can't fairly judge them.

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

I like all the Godzilla movies. Even GFW. I think it's good.
Is it wrong that I like the 1998 American film?
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

^No, not at all. Forgett it is Godzilla and it is an entertaining film.

I like them all, with a select few I can say I love...

Gojira
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Godzilla '84
Godzilla vs. MG ' 93
G2K
GMK

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

I like pretty much every Godzilla film, though my top five would probably be the original Godzilla, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2, Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, & Godzilla Tokyo SOS. Now my least favorite Godzilla movies are definitely Godzilla's Revenge, and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I guess Godzilla vs. Megaguirus deserves to be mentioned here, now. Hell of a fun movie, debatably my favorite since ToMG.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

There's no Godzilla films that I hate (although, Godzilla X Megaguirus comes pretty close). The problem is people confusing someone breaking a film down critically and pointing out its flaws with disliking it. I watched Godzilla vs. Mothra: BftE and Godzilla vs. Mecahgodzilla II with my room mate and both being film students, we would discuss a whole assortment of the films strengths and weaknesses; not just MST3K riffing and blasting it, but actually looking at what made the film bad/mediocre or what it did really well. We both don't like the nineties films on general terms, but that doesn't mean we hate them.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Is this another way to ask for one's favorites?
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

No film is objectively good or bad. Those that in my opinion are good films, and aren't just "fun kaiju flicks" are Godzilla, Mothra vs. Godzilla, Monster Zero, Godzilla's Revenge, The Return of Godzilla and GMK.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Pretty much all of the series contains a level of fun.

Gojira, Mothra vs. Godzilla, GMK, and depending on my mood a few of the other millenium films are the only ones I can say are critically good movies. However, the majority of the Showa series and a few of the Hesei films are a still a blast to watch.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

I enjoy EVER godzilla movie to some degree...just because there's a rubber suited dinosaur it can brighten up my day.

Of course there's those I like more than others, such as Godzilla, king of the mosnters being my favorite film. Of all time. And in all universes.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.