What Godzilla movies do you actually like?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: What Godzilla movies do you actually like?

Post by Julia Bristow »

Tyler wrote:I still maintain the belief that SpaceGodzilla is the worst Japanese Godzilla film.
While Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla is a bad film, at least it has a decent final battle, no bizare color filters to distract you, no human kung fu scenes
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Tyler wrote:I still maintain the belief that SpaceGodzilla is the worst Japanese Godzilla film.
I was of this opinion too, but GvsSG outside of having A) a walking parody of this entire decades production design philosophy in Spacegodzilla, B) an unremarkable musical score, and C) being the only blatantly "cheap" Heisei film, it's not really anymore or less offensive then anything else between 1991-1995. Just a bunch more of the same, just less refined then it normally is.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

TokyoVigilante wrote:
I was of this opinion too, but GvsSG outside of having A) a walking parody of this entire decades production design philosophy in Spacegodzilla, B) an unremarkable musical score, and C) being the only blatantly "cheap" Heisei film, it's not really anymore or less offensive then anything else between 1991-1995. Just a bunch more of the same, just less refined then it normally is.
But that's the thing. You have bad special effects, sloppy writing and characterizations all the way from Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah to Godzilla vs. Destroyer; Spacegodzilla seems like a grand celebration of such elements. It's not so much offensive as it is dull. Films like Godzilla Final Wars and Godzilla vs. Megalon manage to rise above this one because they have life in them, they're aggresive films. Compare this to the 1994 film, there lack of enthuasiasm can be cut with a knife.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

terrypierson
Interpol Agent

Post by terrypierson »

The Showa series is my personal favorite. I love it all though. I've been kind of surprised by how much I've liked the Millennium series actually. I think I can say I prefer their cartoonish, comic book action style to the dramatic, dark tones of the 90s films.

My favorites are:

Gojira
King Kong vs Godzilla
Godzilla vs Destroyah
Final Wars
Godzilla vs Monster Zero

I also love Battle for Earth and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

I agree with the majority consensus that "vs Space Godzilla" is perhaps the weakest in the franchise along with Revenge and Son Of. I also personally don't care much for the 90s vs King Ghidorah. And of course don't speak of 1998....

I have to confess to not having seen vs Megaguirus or Giant Monsters Attack (which I know is really popular). I also haven't seen Godzilla Returns (84), vs Biollante, or Destroy All Monsters in a really long time. (Cursed elusive dvds).

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I agree with the majority consensus that "vs Space Godzilla" is perhaps the weakest in the franchise along with Revenge and Son Of.
The majority consensus is not that Son Of Godzilla is one of the worst films in in the franchise. In fact some people, including myself, think that it's one of the best films in the franchise.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
I agree with the majority consensus that "vs Space Godzilla" is perhaps the weakest in the franchise along with Revenge and Son Of.
The majority consensus is not that Son Of Godzilla is one of the worst films in in the franchise. In fact some people, including myself, think that it's one of the best films in the franchise.
I actually agree wtih you here Gotengo. Son of Godzilla is actually really close to cracking my top 5 list.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I consider Son of Godzilla to be the 3rd best film in the entire franchise, topped only by Mothra vs. Godzilla and the original.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I've only seen SoG once, and I already consider it to be one of the high points of the Showa era.

terrypierson
Interpol Agent

Post by terrypierson »

Well....my bad. :P

I just have a bad taste of the Minya movies from when I was younger perhaps. I'll have to give Son Of another go.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I bought SoG this past winter and it is a pretty good movie. It is different from the usual G movie and it is a nice divergence.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

Gojira1963 wrote:I bought SoG this past winter and it is a pretty good movie. It is different from the usual G movie and it is a nice divergence.
It's better than Godzilla's Revenge.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Godzilla's Revenge isn't a horrible film IMO
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Son of Godzilla is better regardless.

Much, MUCH better.
Last edited by Rody on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I like it too.. but saying "it's better than GODZILLA'S REVENGE" eludes to SON being almost as as "bad" as REVENGE, when it's not even close to be being bad.

SON OF GODZILLA is one of the best Godzilla films, so to me personally, the comparison is poor.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Goji wrote:I like it too.. but saying "it's better than GODZILLA'S REVENGE" eludes to SON being almost as as "bad" as REVENGE, when it's not even close to be being bad.

SON OF GODZILLA is one of the best Godzilla films, so to me personally, the comparison is poor.
Is the world ending? Do I actually agree with Gotengo AND Goji on something? :shock:

But seriously I actually do agree with you on this.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

GodzillavsZilla wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:I bought SoG this past winter and it is a pretty good movie. It is different from the usual G movie and it is a nice divergence.
It's better than Godzilla's Revenge.
That's for sure! I am reviewing Godzilla movies for my blog and I am renting Godzilla's Revenge to review it. I haven't seen it in decades.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

I think the comparison to Godzilla's Revenge stems from so much footage from Son of Godzilla being used for that film. I might be on the minority here, but I think Revenge is a superior film to both Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster. I find those films to be fun, if shallow affairs, highlighted by amusing special effects sequences. Godzilla's Revenge has those scenes, but the story is more interesting.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Interesting how the majority opinion on Son of Godzilla has changed. People used to say that the suits looked horrible and that it was one of the lesser Godzilla movies. Maybe not as bad Godzilla vs. Gigan or Godzilla vs. Megalon, but still "bad".

Interestingly enough, I was in a conversation with my brother-in-law, and he said that he didn't like Son of Godzilla because "nothing happened in the movie".

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Gojira-Fan wrote:Interesting how the majority opinion on Son of Godzilla has changed. People used to say that the suits looked horrible and that it was one of the lesser Godzilla movies. Maybe not as bad Godzilla vs. Gigan or Godzilla vs. Megalon, but still "bad".
Oh, most people still think the suits look horrible, but people like me just look beyond the suit and realize that the film is one of the most well-written films of the franchise, with a diverse cast of intriguing characters, a rich yet inviting atmosphere, a very well-paced story that really has gotten better with age, and themes of parenting, differences between generations, helping the future of one's race and so on. Not to mention one of the best endings of the entire franchise, if not the best ending.

Outside of the Godzilla suit, Son Of Godzilla is a near perfect monster film.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gojira-Fan wrote:Interesting how the majority opinion on Son of Godzilla has changed. People used to say that the suits looked horrible and that it was one of the lesser Godzilla movies.
You'd be surprised how a 35mm screening and/or a DVD release can sway people's opinions on a film.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.