Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The MonsterVerse feel like generic Hollywood blockbusters. Not that there's technically anything wrong with those style of films but Japanese Godzilla films, even the more outlandish ones, just hit different. They have a completely different feel (for me at least). Its not something I can put the proverbial finger on its just a feeling I get.

Added in 1 hour 6 minutes 40 seconds:
I'm shiting on Godzilla vs Kong as much as I can. Haven't even seen it but hopefully if I hate on it and lower my expectations as much as possible I might end up impressed this time. That a huge might. Doubtful though. Then again you never know, maybe it'll work.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat May 01, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Donno bout all that.

Usually hating on something without witnessing it, results in pre-biased disapproval
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:16 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 pm
eabaker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:09 pm

I guess, to me, Shin's social engagement; its emphasis on the human toll of the destruction; its more immediate, formal visual approach; and its presentation of the monster - both its behavior and its having an inherently tragic aspect - felt a lot more like a "classic style" Godzilla movie than the Monsterverse movies ever have.
Are you talking just the 54 original? Cause as early as Godzilla Raids Again I personally find the MonsterVerse closer to the tone of the Showa films than Shin Godzilla generally was.
No, I'm basically talking about everything Honda directed in the genre, as well as Hedorah, the majority of the Heisei flicks, G2K, GMK (along with Kaneko's earlier genre entries), GxMG, and even in its own way GFW. Not all of those movies have all of the elements I've flagged, of course, but they hit a lot more of them a lot more consistently than at least the latter half of the Monsterverse (thinking it through, I do think 2014 and K:SI fulfill a lot of these criteria).

EDIT: I'm not sure why I left Raids Again off my list there, but that movie also has the kind of social engagement and visual/narrative immediacy/intimacy I'm talking about, as well as a sobriety that's been absent from the last couple of Monsterverse movies.
Can someone please tell me what is so special about Hedorah? On here it is treated like some quality piece of cinema but I find it has about equal message pull as something like GKOM (Pollution is bad...okay?). Seriously I just don't see what is so special about this flick apart from the drug-induced "style" choice which doesn't really add much of anything for me.

And personally I think things like GVK capture more of the fun/silly Showa spirit than a fair number of films you listed. Just feel there is this odd double standard on here against the MonsterVerse (Which is funny considering it is usually the Heisei flicks that get it rough here.)

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:59 pm
I'm shiting on Godzilla vs Kong as much as I can. Haven't even seen it but hopefully if I hate on it and lower my expectations as much as possible I might end up impressed this time. That a huge might. Doubtful though. Then again you never know, maybe it'll work.

Jk

But seriously that seems like way too much work and a unfun headspace especially concerning a franchise you enjoy. Admittedly I've adopted a similar headset for Star Trek and Star-Wars (Beyond is mental ache to this day) but all I do is just not get excited. I keep my expectations down to a minium by remembering the past track-record and I see what happens

Its just not worth holding on to it

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I gots a confession to make

...i actually love GINO/Junior/Zilla.

Not as a Godzilla, of course. They’re pretty shitty Godzilla’s. But as their own kaiju? Fantastic. I liked him ever since G:TAS, but my appreciation really spiked when i read RoE

Same goes for Jet Jaguar...except i love Jet Jaguar a significant amount more ;)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 pm Can someone please tell me what is so special about Hedorah?
We've had this conversation like every week for the past month... everyone already said their piece.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Showa Baragon will always be more cute to me than his GMK counterpart. I don't care about the actresses' cute roar, I don't care about how cutesy the design is, I just love Showa Baragon for his mannerisms, and that's what makes him cute. He's playful, jumpy, and can pack a punch (for his size that is).
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

But the design is why I find the 2001 Baragon cuter.

Just look at this face.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Showa, Millennium... ALL Baragons are precious. That is the only truth in this world.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Im not going way out of my way or putting a whole lot of effort to shit on GvK. Still I tried everything else. Was pretty hyped for G14 and game out completely underwhelmed. I went into KotM with no real expectations whatsoever and still came out with barely an impression at all. So I figured I'd try complete dismissal this time and see what happens. It probably won't work but who knows.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

this isn't the cringe thread
Last edited by Spuro on Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KK42 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 am this isn't the cringe thread
For a second I thought this was a reply to Tyrant_Lizard_King, and I was like woah. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 pm
godjacob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 pm

Are you talking just the 54 original? Cause as early as Godzilla Raids Again I personally find the MonsterVerse closer to the tone of the Showa films than Shin Godzilla generally was.
No, I'm basically talking about everything Honda directed in the genre, as well as Hedorah, the majority of the Heisei flicks, G2K, GMK (along with Kaneko's earlier genre entries), GxMG, and even in its own way GFW. Not all of those movies have all of the elements I've flagged, of course, but they hit a lot more of them a lot more consistently than at least the latter half of the Monsterverse (thinking it through, I do think 2014 and K:SI fulfill a lot of these criteria).

EDIT: I'm not sure why I left Raids Again off my list there, but that movie also has the kind of social engagement and visual/narrative immediacy/intimacy I'm talking about, as well as a sobriety that's been absent from the last couple of Monsterverse movies.
Can someone please tell me what is so special about Hedorah? On here it is treated like some quality piece of cinema but I find it has about equal message pull as something like GKOM (Pollution is bad...okay?). Seriously I just don't see what is so special about this flick apart from the drug-induced "style" choice which doesn't really add much of anything for me.

And personally I think things like GVK capture more of the fun/silly Showa spirit than a fair number of films you listed. Just feel there is this odd double standard on here against the MonsterVerse (Which is funny considering it is usually the Heisei flicks that get it rough here.)
Hedorah has duende. You either feel it or your don't, but you can't parse duende.

And I'm not talking about the fun/silly aspect of the Showa series (which I don't find nearly as dominant an aspect of that era [or of the MV] as you seem to). I'm referring much more to cinematic/storytelling technique/style. Besides, Shin is a lot of fun and not without silly moments.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun May 02, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

You know you’ve lost a debate when you’re opponent pulls out the words “parse” and fucking “duende
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun May 02, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:45 am You know you’ve lost a debate when you’re opponent pulls out the words “parse” and skreeonking “duende
That's Evans catchphrase and only pulls it out when he's done with something.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:24 am
godjacob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:40 pm

Hedorah has duende. You either feel it or your don't, but you can't parse duende.

And I'm not talking about the fun/silly aspect of the Showa series (which I don't find nearly as dominant an aspect of that era [or of the MV] as you seem to). I'm referring much more to cinematic/storytelling technique/style. Besides, Shin is a lot of fun and not without silly moments.
I am more focusing on the general tone of the films per say as well as the energy behind it, but given you pulled the duende card I'll just leave it as well played for the time being.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:57 am
KK42 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 am this isn't the cringe thread
For a second I thought this was a reply to Tyrant_Lizard_King, and I was like woah. :lol:
:lol: I wish I could be that savage. But no, I just clicked on the wrong thread by accident this morning and posted in the wrong area.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I’m convinced that this new Godzilla’s revenge appreciation wave is so people can feel special and above “those fans” by being horribly contrarian
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:48 pm I’m convinced that this new Godzilla’s revenge appreciation wave is so people can feel special and above “those fans” by being horribly contrarian
Eh, possibly.

Speaking personally, I generally just found it not as bad as people said and kind of fall into the camp of defending it because everyone hates the damn thing and I feel like it needs SOMEONE on it's sideto point out the good it does ironically, also a position I have taken with King of The Monsters though in the end, I think it's a mid tier entry.

RIP Evan.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Replace Godfather with any Godzilla/kaiju movie and you have this thread -