Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by godjacob »

I really want to like the Vastatosaurus Rex from the 05 King Kong. The idea of a hyper aggressive almost in-breeding "mutant" Tyrannosaur that hunt in open packs makes for a terrifying foe. But goddamn they might be the dumbest creatures Kong ever fights and that really prevents me from enjoying them as foes to Kong.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

"Kiss of death" is a dumb, cringy name and you know it
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:34 pm "Kiss of death" is a dumb, cringy name and you know it
How about Radioactive Breathe swallower.

Beam Gulper.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Cringey or not I like it.
He Jock it Made of Steel

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:57 pm Cringey or not I like it.
Gulping beams?

I mean it's cool dude, no judging here.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Kiss of Death is like a Mortal Kombat fatality name and given the context of how Godzilla used it I personally am a big fan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm afraid of the future of the Toho made Godzilla films.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:47 pm I'm afraid of the future of the Toho made Godzilla films.
You and me both, man. Toho's been consistently annoying me with their Reiwa Godzilla films/show. Even Shin, which I think was a good movie, was only good to me *in spite* of the Godzilla design.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I absolutely loved it when Godzilla mama-birded straight into Female MUTO's esophagus.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

goji89 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:08 pm

How about Radioactive Breathe swallower.

Sounds like a carnival act.

Blockbusters like big, unforgettable, and sometimes emotional, endings, and the females Muto's death did provide a unique and savage ending to the villainess.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

At least we know the female Muto is a swallower......

:rimshot:

Thanks folks I'll be here all night.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

.....ok.

Speaking personally, I love the experimentation we're getting with Reiwa, but I think we should get at least one classic style film at least. I know Monsterverse has kind of been doing this but I'd love to see Toho go back one last time to celebrate the past before they go all in on the future
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat May 01, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:33 am .....ok.

Speaking personally, I love the experimentation we're getting with Reiwa, but I think we should get at least one classic style film at least. I know Monsterverse has kind of been doing this but I'd love to see Toho go back one last time to celebrate the past before they go all in on the future
What does "classic style" entail for you? And how is the Monsterverse doing it?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

SoggyNoodles2016

eabaker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:45 am

Following the more traditional Toho formula for its storytelling. Godzilla as an ambiguous neutral force, traditional kaiju roster, human scientists with varying levels of super tech caught in the middle.

Not saying the Monsterverse is a 1:1 with the 60 heyday (especially in quality, as much as I love parts of it), just compared to the experimentation and reinvention of Shin, the Urobuchi trilogy, and Singular Point, it follows the roots and familiar more.

Added in 1 minute 51 seconds:
And again, it's not that I don't like seeing something new, I just think it would be fun to see what these new techniques and technology could do with the formula instead of reinventing the core franchise for a new audience

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:56 am

Following the more traditional Toho formula for its storytelling. Godzilla as an ambiguous neutral force, traditional kaiju roster, human scientists with varying levels of super tech caught in the middle.

Not saying the Monsterverse is a 1:1 with the 60 heyday (especially in quality, as much as I love parts of it), just compared to the experimentation and reinvention of Shin, the Urobuchi trilogy, and Singular Point, it follows the roots and familiar more.

And again, it's not that I don't like seeing something new, I just think it would be fun to see what these new techniques and technology could do with the formula instead of reinventing the core franchise for a new audience
I guess, to me, Shin's social engagement; its emphasis on the human toll of the destruction; its more immediate, formal visual approach; and its presentation of the monster - both its behavior and its having an inherently tragic aspect - felt a lot more like a "classic style" Godzilla movie than the Monsterverse movies ever have.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat May 01, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:09 pm

I guess, to me, Shin's social engagement; its emphasis on the human toll of the destruction; its more immediate, formal visual approach; and its presentation of the monster - both its behavior and its having an inherently tragic aspect - felt a lot more like a "classic style" Godzilla movie than the Monsterverse movies ever have.
Are you talking just the 54 original? Cause as early as Godzilla Raids Again I personally find the MonsterVerse closer to the tone of the Showa films than Shin Godzilla generally was.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 pm

Are you talking just the 54 original? Cause as early as Godzilla Raids Again I personally find the MonsterVerse closer to the tone of the Showa films than Shin Godzilla generally was.
No, I'm basically talking about everything Honda directed in the genre, as well as Hedorah, the majority of the Heisei flicks, G2K, GMK (along with Kaneko's earlier genre entries), GxMG, and even in its own way GFW. Not all of those movies have all of the elements I've flagged, of course, but they hit a lot more of them a lot more consistently than at least the latter half of the Monsterverse (thinking it through, I do think 2014 and K:SI fulfill a lot of these criteria).

EDIT: I'm not sure why I left Raids Again off my list there, but that movie also has the kind of social engagement and visual/narrative immediacy/intimacy I'm talking about, as well as a sobriety that's been absent from the last couple of Monsterverse movies.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat May 01, 2021 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

No, no, I agree!

I'm not really making this clear sorry lol. I meant classic FORMULA, not classic style. I agree fully on Shin being straight out of the Showa era.

RIP Evan.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

goji89 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:56 pm At least we know the female Muto is a swallower......

:rimshot:

Thanks folks I'll be here all night.
10/10 joke.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 pm I personally find the MonsterVerse closer to the tone of the Showa films than Shin Godzilla generally was.
I agree. The MV is closer to the Showa than Shin ever was. The style and goofiness *one liners* and the monsters all come from the Showa era just updated.