Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:The last couple of times I watched it I thought G2K all but died during the second act. It’s not all that well structured.
What would you call the second act? After Godzilla is blasted back into the ocean, and before Godzilla returns to Tokyo?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:The last couple of times I watched it I thought G2K all but died during the second act. It’s not all that well structured.
What would you call the second act? After Godzilla is blasted back into the ocean, and before Godzilla returns to Tokyo?
Yep, that chunk of forty minutes or so.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I'm really enjoying this new wave of Fan Art that's been rolling through the fandom. I've seen a lot of interesting stuff on DA, Tumblr and Twitter.

Especially stuff from the folks who make lore heavy "Monsterverse" styled takes like Transapient with his "Kaiju Revolution" series, Trollmans with his "Folly Of Man" or Dinohunter2 with his "Terra Monstrum" series and etc. It's just nice to see a surge again. :)

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Dracosaurian wrote:Especially stuff from the folks who make lore heavy "Monsterverse" styled takes like Transapient with his "Kaiju Revolution" series, Trollmans with his "Folly Of Man" or Dinohunter2 with his "Terra Monstrum" series and etc. It's just nice to see a surge again. :)
Yeah. I'm currently planning something like those (hopefully using 3D models because I suck at drawing).

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:Especially stuff from the folks who make lore heavy "Monsterverse" styled takes like Transapient with his "Kaiju Revolution" series, Trollmans with his "Folly Of Man" or Dinohunter2 with his "Terra Monstrum" series and etc. It's just nice to see a surge again. :)
Yeah. I'm currently planning something like those (hopefully using 3D models because I suck at drawing).

Best of luck to you on your project!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I haven't watched Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992) in almost a decade because I have very fond childhood memories of it and I don't want it ruined for me the way Space Godzilla was. I got both movies for the same Christmas when I was five or six and they were once favorites of mine. I rewatched the whole Heisei series when I was fourteen and that's when I started to hate Space Godzilla and think Mothra '92 was mediocre. My hatred of SG has only grown with my most recent viewing and I'm afraid my conflicted feelings for Mothra will turn to outright dislike if I try to watch it again. But I've watched every other Godzilla movie (except the TriStar film) at least once in the past two years, so I feel it's about time I give it a try...
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I haven't watched Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992) in almost a decade because I have very fond childhood memories of it and I don't want it ruined for me the way Space Godzilla was. I got both movies for the same Christmas when I was five or six and they were once favorites of mine. I rewatched the whole Heisei series when I was fourteen and that's when I started to hate Space Godzilla and think Mothra '92 was mediocre. My hatred of SG has only grown with my most recent viewing and I'm afraid my conflicted feelings for Mothra will turn to outright dislike if I try to watch it again. But I've watched every other Godzilla movie (except the TriStar film) at least once in the past two years, so I feel it's about time I give it a try...
Please let me know what you think! I gave the whole Heisei series a watch within the past year and I can tell you with confidence that GvM:BfE is one of the best Heisei films imo! Such a great film, both that one and the original Mothra vs Godzilla are awesome! I have a feeling that it will hold up, asides from a few wonky hugging attacks from Godzilla!
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

For me, Godzilla vs Mothra is the most 'meh' of the Heisei films.
For Emperor and Empire!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's the worst for me as it brings utterly nothing significant to the table beyond an interesting dynamic between the lead characters and the mythology of Battra (which isn't explored well enough). It's the third Mothra film to feature the "businessman exploits Mothra" story but it, again, doesn't offer anything new with it and tries to shove in a hamfisted environmental message that just falls flat.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tough crowd. Godzilla vs Mothra is enjoyable enough to kill 103 minutes.

And I truly can't imagine hating any Godzilla movie. To hate takes so much energy and effort and requires really strong feelings. I might dislike KOTM, but I don't feel so much contempt for it that I hate it. The anime films might be boring as sin but that doesn't equal hatred either. There are Godzilla movies I love, that I like, and towards which I feel totally indifferent.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: And I truly can't imagine hating any Godzilla movie. To hate takes so much energy and effort and requires really strong feelings. I might dislike KOTM, but I don't feel so much contempt for it that I hate it. The anime films might be boring as sin but that doesn't equal hatred either. There are Godzilla movies I love, that I like, and towards which I feel totally indifferent.
This is basically my stance, too.

I haven't seen GaM:TBfE since about 2010, and I missed the first half then. I guess I was probably pretty indifferent towards it then, but I really want and need to give it another watch sometime soon.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

I still haven't watched Godzilla and Mothra in its entirety. I caught the last half on TV a good while back and when I went to watch it for real a couple years ago I started at 9:30PM after moving furniture all day, so I fell asleep sometime during or after Godzilla and larval Battra's battle.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

You guys aren't missing much. The underwater larval Battra fight is the highlight of the movie (and it is a good fight, nice mix of melee & super powers). With the exception of Mt Fuji's eruption and the ASTOL-MB93 fight, it's all downhill after that. Speaking of ASTOL-MB93, I get they were cut out of Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla for pacing reasons, but could have hooked them up with Ultra-Low Temperature lasers for Godzilla vs Destroyer. Maybe they felt it would have taken away from the Super-X3 by having more super aircraft in the movie but they missed a chance to show how massive it is by flying alongside the smaller maser aircraft.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote: And I truly can't imagine hating any Godzilla movie. To hate takes so much energy and effort and requires really strong feelings. I might dislike KOTM, but I don't feel so much contempt for it that I hate it. The anime films might be boring as sin but that doesn't equal hatred either. There are Godzilla movies I love, that I like, and towards which I feel totally indifferent.
Yeah I might be super strong with my descriptions of Godzilla movies I don't like, but at the end of the day a Godzilla movie no matter what is usually twice as enjoyable as any other movie of its type. Even in the most bland live action films I can find something about them to appreciate.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I created a long running bit of kaiju media I'll never post around here much as I know it ain't some people's cup of tea, and I don't like unnecessarily angering people. I have fun with it, so do others, but I don't like risking causing scenes.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Desghidorah wrote:I created a long running bit of kaiju media I'll never post around here much as I know it ain't some people's cup of tea, and I don't like unnecessarily angering people. I have fun with it, so do others, but I don't like risking causing scenes.
Consider me curious.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Oh and I unironically love Gamera: the Brave as much as I do the Heisei trilogy. To me I honestly feel The Brave nailed it when it came to balancing more mature story telling from the Heisei era with Showa era child appeal with kid characters who weren't at all annoying, a cutesy plot with some teeth, and a nice pair of Gamera designs.

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:I created a long running bit of kaiju media I'll never post around here much as I know it ain't some people's cup of tea, and I don't like unnecessarily angering people. I have fun with it, so do others, but I don't like risking causing scenes.
Consider me curious.
PM'd, unless others demand to see it.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Desghidorah wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Consider me curious.
PM'd, unless others demand to see it.
Consider me intrigued, too.
For Emperor and Empire!

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

Add me to the list of being curious.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Curiosity runs through TK like hellfire in the Australian bush.
For Emperor and Empire!