"Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: "Little things" in Godzilla films you wonder about

Post by godjacob »

Why, in too many Showa films, when a Kaiju falls into the water people automatically assume the Kaiju is dead.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Where did all of the Faroe Island natives find a light for their cigarettes?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

godjacob wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:25 pm Why, in too many Showa films, when a Kaiju falls into the water people automatically assume the Kaiju is dead.
right? I wouldn't be ready to relax until someone presented a body.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:53 am Big one here.

How the hell does Godzilla (and other monsters) stand up in waters that are extremely deep. Is everything really shallow? Can they just float in place? Do their legs extend down to the sea floor? Are they just constantly swimming in a strange upright position?
Ducks and other water fowl have air sacs in their bodies that allow them to float on the surface. They can force the air out when they want to dive. I suppose amphibious kaiju could have evolved these as well.

What I wonder about is how Mothra ended up on Monsterland? The people of Infant Island get their island ruined by nuclear test, and then those same outsiders propose taking their deity away. I'm quite sure they objected.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:27 pm

How the hell does Godzilla (and other monsters) stand up in waters that are extremely deep. Is everything really shallow? Can they just float in place? Do their legs extend down to the sea floor? Are they just constantly swimming in a strange upright position?
Ducks and other water fowl have air sacs in their bodies that allow them to float on the surface. They can force the air out when they want to dive. I suppose amphibious kaiju could have evolved these as well.

What I wonder about is how Mothra ended up on Monsterland? The people of Infant Island get their island ruined by nuclear test, and then those same outsiders propose taking their deity away. I'm quite sure they objected.
Perhaps Mothra just decided to move to Monsterland on her own accord for reasons, like to keep tabs on the other kaiju.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah: Was Godzillasaurus seirously the only dinosaur on the island? If a rather medium sized theropod like him survived the K-T event, shouldn't some smaller dinos like Velociraptor's also end up surviving that?
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:25 am Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah: Was Godzillasaurus seirously the only dinosaur on the island? If a rather medium sized theropod like him survived the K-T event, shouldn't some smaller dinos like Velociraptor's also end up surviving that?
I think the implication is that he is the last surviving dinosaur on the island not because he's 66 million years old, but because his species has been dwindling since then; presumably any other remaining dinosaur species on the island would have dwindled out of existence just as the Godzillasaurus species was doing.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE
Why the Super X-2 was so shit compared to the Super X. The original Super X was able to nearly kill Godzilla had it not been for the Russian nuke reviving it yet the Super X-2 barley qualifies as an annoyance. The Super X-3 was also momentarily able to freeze solid Burning Godzilla and helped kill Destoroyah so it seems like an especially jarring downgrade in the Super X line.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

godjacob wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:46 pm GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE
Why the Super X-2 was so shit compared to the Super X. The original Super X was able to nearly kill Godzilla had it not been for the Russian nuke reviving it yet the Super X-2 barley qualifies as an annoyance. The Super X-3 was also momentarily able to freeze solid Burning Godzilla and helped kill Destoroyah so it seems like an especially jarring downgrade in the Super X line.
Well, Godzilla did go underwater to try avoid fighting it when he realized it could fight back and not die in one hit like the previous Super-X before it forced him back to the surface. So I wouldn't say it's garbage but it is the weakest link for not having any energy weapons like lasers in case it's Mirror overheats or it runs out of missiles or torpedoes. All it has to fall back on is it's two 40mm Vulcan cannon gatling guns. Out of the three, it's the only one that can go underwater and to extreme depths as a submarine to fight Godzilla in his home turf, his element. Just one massive oversight holds this weapon back big time. Now it would be a great companion piece to other kaiju weapons. Honestly the biggest mistake the JSDF and G-Force make in these films is letting their super weapons fight alone with no back up.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Living Corpse wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:42 pm
Why the Super X-2 was so poop compared to the Super X. The original Super X was able to nearly kill Godzilla had it not been for the Russian nuke reviving it yet the Super X-2 barley qualifies as an annoyance. The Super X-3 was also momentarily able to freeze solid Burning Godzilla and helped kill Destoroyah so it seems like an especially jarring downgrade in the Super X line.
Well, Godzilla did go underwater to try avoid fighting it when he realized it could fight back and not die in one hit like the previous Super-X before it forced him back to the surface. So I wouldn't say it's garbage but it is the weakest link for not having any energy weapons like lasers in case it's Mirror overheats or it runs out of missiles or torpedoes. All it has to fall back on is it's two 40mm Vulcan cannon gatling guns. Out of the three, it's the only one that can go underwater and to extreme depths as a submarine to fight Godzilla in his home turf, his element. Just one massive oversight holds this weapon back big time. Now it would be a great companion piece to other kaiju weapons. Honestly the biggest mistake the JSDF and G-Force make in these films is letting their super weapons fight alone with no back up.
The underwater feature is a nifty ability I'll begrudgingly agree to that. But I'd rather have improved performance vs. a diving feature. Think it says a lot that the glass-canon air only Super X1 still defeated Godzilla and came close to killing it where as the Super X2 never was close to either. It baffles me they would pretty much rely on the gimmick reflect mirror and remove the Cadmium Missiles that work so well for it; as you said leaving it with under supported weapons.

Also clearly the JSDF/G-Force honor the code of conduct. When you make a super weapon you have to let it one vs. one the Kaiju otherwise that is just unsportsmanlike lol

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

godjacob wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:18 pm
Why the Super X-2 was so poop compared to the Super X. The original Super X was able to nearly kill Godzilla had it not been for the Russian nuke reviving it yet the Super X-2 barley qualifies as an annoyance. The Super X-3 was also momentarily able to freeze solid Burning Godzilla and helped kill Destoroyah so it seems like an especially jarring downgrade in the Super X line.
The underwater feature is a nifty ability I'll begrudgingly agree to that. But I'd rather have improved performance vs. a diving feature. Think it says a lot that the glass-canon air only Super X1 still defeated Godzilla and came close to killing it where as the Super X2 never was close to either. It baffles me they would pretty much rely on the gimmick reflect mirror and remove the Cadmium Missiles that work so well for it; as you said leaving it with under supported weapons.
Like I'm not disagreeing, it is a massively flawed machine, but Super-X2 is still an impressive weapon and could probably kill monsters that have powerful heat rays but are less durable to energy rays and the diving thing gives it multiple attack options and the ability to pursue sea monsters the other weapons can't since Godzilla isn't the only sea monster. Just so stupid they didn't give it lasers or masers since those are pretty much unlimited ammo. Even the first and last ones had those should they run out of cadmium. I think if you had it working with other weapons it can force Godzilla or other monsters to the surface to be continually ambushed by more powerful or effects traps or weapons.

Basically it works best as a support weapon with other anti-kaiju weapons. Because they used it by itself it failed but even then it filled a purpose in buying time by slowing down Godzilla and later getting him sitting long enough for the ANEB to be fired into his body. And I might be a little bias since it's a fun final boss fight in Godzilla: Battle Legends and also fun to play as. The effects for it in that game were cool too, making it look 3D in a 2D fighter when it turned.
Also clearly the JSDF/G-Force honor the code of conduct. When you make a super weapon you have to let it one vs. one the Kaiju otherwise that is just unsportsmanlike lol
I think they do it to see how effective the weapons are by themselves and learn to better improve on future weapons.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Living Corpse wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:59 pm
godjacob wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:18 pm

Like I'm not disagreeing, it is a massively flawed machine, but Super-X2 is still an impressive weapon and could probably kill monsters that have powerful heat rays but are less durable to energy rays and the diving thing gives it multiple attack options and the ability to pursue sea monsters the other weapons can't since Godzilla isn't the only sea monster. Just so stupid they didn't give it lasers or masers since those are pretty much unlimited ammo. Even the first and last ones had those should they run out of cadmium. I think if you had it working with other weapons it can force Godzilla or other monsters to the surface to be continually ambushed by more powerful or effects traps or weapons.

Basically it works best as a support weapon with other anti-kaiju weapons. Because they used it by itself it failed but even then it filled a purpose in buying time by slowing down Godzilla and later getting him sitting long enough for the ANEB to be fired into his body. And I might be a little bias since it's a fun final boss fight in Godzilla: Battle Legends and also fun to play as. The effects for it in that game were cool too, making it look 3D in a 2D fighter when it turned.
I think they do it to see how effective the weapons are by themselves and learn to better improve on future weapons.
And even if I think going all in on a gimmick reflect mirror is a dumb design choice, I won't disagree that there are some valuable features the Super X2 brings to the table and it could not work okay in the right context. My issue is less that it exists, but rather that this is somehow seen as an upgrade to the Super X despite having an inferior performance vs. Godzilla with more limited weapons. Like there is a reason they try don't try to say in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla that Moguera is an upgrade to Mechagodzilla to give an anti-Godzilla weapon comparative example.

Yeah I agree it would be a good support weapon, in context. Really it mainly excels against beam-spamming Kaiju in a secondary role. Basically most Kaiju in the 90s lol but when your big upgrade can only succeed in a stall role vs. the original that beat Godzilla before it is gonna be seen as a disappointment. Though I find it funny that one lackluster anti-Godzilla weapon stalled for another lackluster one in ANEB.

Maybe but still, there's a time and a place for trials. Just saying sending say a Super X with Moguera or Mechagodzilla would have done wonders. The most successful operation the JSDF had in the Heisei Series had their main weapon Mechagodzilla get support in the Garuda.

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:27 pm

I wrote a fan fic all about Monster Island where I theorized that the Japanese govt appealed to the Infant Islanders to allow Mothra to be moved to Monsterland to help keep peace amongst the other monsters, like she did between Godzilla and Rodan in 1964. She is allowed to come and go from the island as she pleases, the only monster afforded such a luxury. (I know DAM shows her being repelled by some of the security measures on Monster Island; I just explained that away as a malfunction :D )
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Why the hell Mechagodzilla in the anime canon didn't activate when Godzilla originally attacked the construction site? I presume it had something to do with the advanced AI making the decision but it bugged me we never found out why it refused to activate.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

This is an odd one, has anyone else that all the American designs for have longer haeds than Japanese ones.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've wondered if other countries developed their own anti kaiju units. G-Force is proof they exist and are a threat, so it's likely other countries would form their own just in case.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

kingkevzilla88 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 am This is an odd one, has anyone else that all the American designs for have longer haeds than Japanese ones.
It's probably because Godzilla's design is inspired by dinosaurs. Usually theropods like Tyrannosaurus Rex (Godzilla 1998 especially takes clear inspiration from theropods). They generally have faces longer than they are wide, so American Godzilla's usually follow suit. Some TOHO Godzilla suits have done the same or something similar (ShodaiGoji, BioGoji, MireGoji, GMKGoji, etc)
edgaguirus wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:31 pm I've wondered if other countries developed their own anti kaiju units. G-Force is proof they exist and are a threat, so it's likely other countries would form their own just in case.
Unfortunately, the films rarely dedicate any time to foreign affairs relating to Godzilla. Films like The Return of Godzilla (both cuts) and Shin Godzilla show the reactions of the United States and some other countries (Russia, Germany), however, the majority of films strictly focus on the Japanese governments/military.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Minya »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:31 pm I've wondered if other countries developed their own anti kaiju units. G-Force is proof they exist and are a threat, so it's likely other countries would form their own just in case.
I really wish I still had the fan fic I've alluded to in other posts in this thread - I worked on it for over 5 years and lost it all due to a computer crash. I did have a previous version backed up on a USB drive but never found it.

Anyway, it was a continuation of the Showa series set in modern day, and I had the US create Mechani-Kong.
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

Thanos6
Samurai

Post by Thanos6 »

Godzilla 1985:

Steve Martin advising the military that they don't have any weapons that will work on Godzilla, "except, perhaps--" and then one of the officers cuts him off.

I always wonder what he was going to say. Given his characterization in that film, it seems extremely unlikely he would have said an atomic bomb, so I wonder...

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I doubt he would have mentioned the oxygen destroyer as he knew there was no way to make one without Serizawa.