Did Godzilla 1998 really rip off Jurassic park? What did the creators really have in mind?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Greyzilla98
Ronin

Re: Did Godzilla 1998 really rip off Jurassic park? What did the creators really have in mind?

Post by Greyzilla98 »

Omegazilla wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:45 am
Yes, but didnt the original godzilla also rip off the beast from 20,000 fathoms? I mean, I know you are going to say the 1954 film was just inspired, so what makes godzilla 1998 so diffirent? Cant we just say it was inspired also? I mean, the scenes of the light house and roaring are actually a bit diffirent. Godzilla 1998 behavoir is modeld of cats and lizards and actually the Godzilla 1998 scene of him roaring trimphuently is likley a call to how godzillas ussaly roar trimphuently after a victory. The beast of 20,000 fathoms breaks down the building, Godzilla 1998 kinda just roars on it. Actually there is a big diffirence between these scenes, the lighthouse scene is to build up suspense as it rocks the thing back in foward, the victory scene in Godzilla 1998 is ment to build a sort of pride or is put there so the audience can feel proud for Godzilla.
I think you took my post a bit too literally. I never claimed the similar scenes were exactly the same. I would best describe it as a ripoff like The Asylum movies. Just different enough to not be considered plagiarism in terms of legal matters, but obviously "borrowed" too much to be original. I can't find a juxtaposition online outside of NC's review and I don't feel like making my own so this is what I mean:
https://youtu.be/yM4kfK-dnL4?t=1109

I also don't think Godzilla flat out ripped off Beast. While there was no doubt an inspiration, Godzilla is definitely unique enough to stand out. The Rhedosaurus was still vulnerable to larger scale weaponry. A monster resistant to constant shellings and blastings was unheard of at the time. I will concede some elements of Godzilla though are taken right from Beast. Both were awakened by nuclear weapons and the Rhedosaurus was originally intended to snort radioactive flames but that was scrapped due to budget concerns. I also never claimed the raptors were copies of the baby GINOs. I said they were similar, which I would say is a good word. Not exact obviously, but similar enough to draw a comparison. Also as I said before, I don't think GINO is a ripoff OVERALL of Jurassic Park. Just a few tidbits. In fact, I doubt there is anyone here that truly believes GINO as a film overall is a JP ripoff. If there is please do chime in.
Actually I countered most of the claims made in the NC video

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Did Godzilla 1998 really rip off Jurassic park? What did the creators really have in mind?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

If anything it took more from The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms than it did Godzilla or Jurassic Park.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Others have already addressed this from some angle, but I doubt the pack of baby Godzillas was a happy coincidence. They might not literally look like Velociraptors, but it's not a stretch to say Devlin & Emmerich were cashing in on the newest, coolest "monster" image.

...And I REALLY don't see the connections to The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms in anything but the most vague notions. Where's the mystery of the monster's existence? Where's the pathogen subplot? ANY monster movie featuring a prehistoric monster awakened by a bomb is going to look a little bit like Beast, because Beast is the one which did it FIRST.