Godzilla Films you've never seen or were late to the party for?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Anti-G Weapon
Ronin

Godzilla Films you've never seen or were late to the party for?

Post by Anti-G Weapon »

What's a Godzilla film that you still haven't seen? Or if you've seen them all what's a Godzilla film that you were late to the party for? Reason?

For me it's Godzilla vs Biollante. It was the last Godzilla film I hadn't seen and I haven't watched it until recently. As a kid I discovered Godzilla films through DVD stores or renting them through Blockbuster and I never knew that GvB even existed until later thanks to the internet. Even then I never got a chance to watch it until the Miramax Blu Ray release.
Resized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Godzilla Films you've never seen or were late to the party for?

Post by Voyager »

Oh god, here we go. I’ve seen a few more movies recently so I’m only going to list the ones I haven’t seen.

In Theatrical order...

Godzilla Raids Again
Godzilla vs Gigan
Return of Godzilla

Wow. That was less than I thought.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've seen them all, but I was late to the party for everything up until GINO, and then everything up until G14. I've been about as on time as anyone outside Japan can be for everything since.

The reasons for being late are either I wasn't born yet, or was a kid with no knowledge of/means of access to the movies in question.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I pretty much have the same reasons as Jag. Only one i was really late for was Planet Eater because COTEOB left such a sour taste in my mouth for the longest time i refused to even look at it.

Kinda glad i have watched it though. Think i'm growing a soft spot for it..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Ironically, Raids Again was the last movie I saw before the Monsterverse, Shin and the anime became a thing. Unless you want me to cheat and say the episodes with Godzilla and co in the Zone Fighter TV show.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I have not seen the anime films. I really don't have any desire to either. Not a fan of the animation style and they just don't seem that interesting to me. Was also really late to Destroy All Monsters it was probably the last Showa film I got to see. Still haven't seen the Japanese versions of Gojira and The Return of Godzilla yet in their entirety.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I was late to the party for Destroy All Monsters.

As a kid, that movie was like my White Whale and Holy Grail combined. It was the last Showa film I saw.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GojiDog wrote:I was late to the party for Destroy All Monsters.

As a kid, that movie was like my White Whale and Holy Grail combined. It was the last Showa film I saw.
Likewise, and I’d bet that’s true for a lot of older millennial G fans.

So how late is “late to the party”? Because after the disappointment of POTM, I held off on COTEOB for at least half a year. Ditto Planet Eater. Prior to that, although I kept up with the production of the Millennium movies, I was in no rush to see GXM, although I still got that pretty early (January 2002, a little more than a year after its Japanese release). But I wouldn’t call half a year or a year “late”. :?

KOTM was the first theatrically-released Godzilla in my lifetime that I didn’t see opening day/weekend. I waited about a month.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

The time needed to watch a Godzilla movie is pretty rare so uh... here's my list?

GRA
KKvG
MvG
GTTHM
IoAM
EHotD
SoG
AMA
GvH
GvG
GvM
GvMG
ToMG
RoG
GvB
GvKG
GvM:BfE
GvMGII
GvSG
GvD
G2000
GxMxMG:TSOS
G:FW

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I was late for Shin as the nearest theatre playing it during the limited screenings was 5 hours away. Had to wait for it to come out on DVD in order to see it. Maybe hearing the rest of the fandom sing it's praises for so long contributed to my immense disappointment.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Anti-G Weapon wrote:For me it's Godzilla vs Biollante. It was the last Godzilla film I hadn't seen and I haven't watched it until recently. As a kid I discovered Godzilla films through DVD stores or renting them through Blockbuster and I never knew that GvB even existed until later thanks to the internet. Even then I never got a chance to watch it until the Miramax Blu Ray release.
Same story for me, although my dad bought me the DVD around the time of it's release.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've seen all the films, though there were two Showa films it took awhile for me to see. They were DAM and G vs Hedorah. They never really showed on tv, so I didn't get a real viewing until the 90s. Both showed on the sci fi channel, and I finally got to see Godzilla fly.

For Heisei films, it was G vs Biollante. I didn't see it until I got the dvd.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Anti-G Weapon
Ronin

Post by Anti-G Weapon »

When I say "late to the party" I don't necessarily mean in relation to when it was released (unless you were alive at the time). I mean it more so in relation to when you saw it versus when you saw the rest of the films. For me GvB was the only TOHO Godzilla film that I hadn't seen as a child, and didn't get to see it until adulthood.
Resized Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:The time needed to watch a Godzilla movie is pretty rare so uh... here's my list?

GRA
KKvG
MvG
GTTHM
IoAM
EHotD
SoG
AMA
GvH
GvG
GvM
GvMG
ToMG
RoG
GvB
GvKG
GvMGII
GvSG
GvD
G2000
Virtually the entire Showa and Heisei series, then. You have my condolences. :cry:

At the same time, though, you still have 23 Godzilla movies to see, so you're lucky AF.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I didn't see Godzilla vs. Gigan until years after the rest of the Showa films. Godzilla 1985 was the last of the original 28 Toho films that I saw. Otherwise, I saw all of the Showa and Heisei films at a young age and all of the Millennium films and Shin within a year of their original release. I saw both MonsterVerse films in theaters. I saw Planet of the Monsters right when it came out but I waited until both sequels were out to watch them back to back. What a mistake...
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

JAGzilla wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:The time needed to watch a Godzilla movie is pretty rare so uh... here's my list?

GRA
KKvG
MvG
GTTHM
IoAM
EHotD
SoG
AMA
GvH
GvG
GvM
GvMG
ToMG
RoG
GvB
GvKG
GvMGII
GvSG
GvD
G2000
Virtually the entire Showa and Heisei series, then. You have my condolences. :cry:

At the same time, though, you still have 23 Godzilla movies to see, so you're lucky AF.
So... basically a lose and a win at the same time?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I saw them all by the time I was about 12 I think thru various means. The last two I had to track down were VS King Ghidorah and Mithra 92. Some of them like vs Mechagodzilla and King Kong vs Godzilla didn't grow on me til recently.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Anti-G Weapon wrote:When I say "late to the party" I don't necessarily mean in relation to when it was released (unless you were alive at the time). I mean it more so in relation to when you saw it versus when you saw the rest of the films. For me GvB was the only TOHO Godzilla film that I hadn't seen as a child, and didn't get to see it until adulthood.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess then I can say that I've been pretty punctual then. :P
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
JAGzilla wrote: At the same time, though, you still have 23 Godzilla movies to see, so you're lucky AF.
Honestly, dude, just look forward to every Godzilla movie. Forget what the other fans say, you should try to enjoy each one. You only get to see each one for the first time once.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't know if this counts, but maybe Godzilla vs. Hedorah.I had the Sony dvd for a year before watching it. The reason is pretty silly: I was legitimately scared to watch it. I associated it with the 1988 blob film (both have blob like creatures that melt people). I think I read the wikipedia description or something and that made the film way worse to actually watch as I imagined the scientist father getting graphically wounded rather than how it happens In the film. It's the only Godzilla film thatI had ready access to that I didn't instantly watch in it's entirety. It's funny imagining I was just flat out scared to watch it, but at the same time I was religiously watching Godzilla vs. The Seamonster and Godzilla vs. Megalon, to the point that the VHS had so badly deteriorated that watching them was impossible.

Other than that, I've always seen a Godzilla movie as soon as physically possible. My main reasoning is to just avoid other people's general impressions or reactions.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Terasawa wrote:
Anti-G Weapon wrote:When I say "late to the party" I don't necessarily mean in relation to when it was released (unless you were alive at the time). I mean it more so in relation to when you saw it versus when you saw the rest of the films. For me GvB was the only TOHO Godzilla film that I hadn't seen as a child, and didn't get to see it until adulthood.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess then I can say that I've been pretty punctual then. :P
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
JAGzilla wrote: At the same time, though, you still have 23 Godzilla movies to see, so you're lucky AF.
Honestly, dude, just look forward to every Godzilla movie. Forget what the other fans say, you should try to enjoy each one. You only get to see each one for the first time once.
Gotcha.