What Godzilla Movies do you have a special attachment to?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Re: What Godzilla Movies do you have a special attachment to?

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Godzilla vs Mothra (1992) - movie that made me a fan.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II - first Godzilla movie I bought on DVD.

Godzilla x Mechagodzilla - Akane is my favorite human character.

Shin Godzilla - first Japanese Godzilla movie I saw in theaters, and twice at that.

CommanderBowser
Monsterland Worker

Post by CommanderBowser »

Another Godzilla film that I have a special attachment to is the 2014 film.

The first reason is that it's the first Godzilla film which I got on dvd.

The second reason is that it's the first Godzilla film that I rewatched

And of course, the movie was a very fun one.
Last edited by CommanderBowser on Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just your average fan of Godzilla, who also loves cartoons and Super Smash Bros

FWI, Bowser is my Smash Main, hence my user name.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Shin Godzilla - Lot of ground to cover on this one, but long story short it's easily my favorite Godzilla film and one of my favorite movies of all time and even now it still gets to me emotionally and it's one of the movies I can watch and be awed by.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - Again, lot of ground to cover on this one. I admire the movie's overtly spiritual emphasis and I think it handled that aspect beautifully and provided largely great updates to classic Toho kaiju, especially King Ghidorah.
Spoiler:
I saw it just days before my mother passed away and I found it's themes of loss, grief, but still managing to move towards a better future to be poignant and to this day it still gives a catharsis. I didn't re-watch it for the first time until December of that year and debated with myself if I should because I wasn't sure if I could emotionally handle it at the time, but I did and I still loved it and found a deep sense of relief from it. I'll always see a special beauty in this movie.

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, Invasion of Astro-Monster & Terror of Mechagodzilla - It was the combination of these stories that really caused me to come around on the Showa era and made me see just how much I've grown as a movie lover and each of them are some of my all time favorites.

The Return of Godzilla - Managed to get a copy of this for my birthday back in 2015 in the original Japanese and it was such an exciting and satisfying event to finally watch the one Heisei movie that had eluded me for years. Still one of my favorites and in my opinion, the best of the Heisei Godzilla series.
Resized Image

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Hanuman vs. 7 Ultraman,

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

While each era is nostalgic to me in a different way.
Golden Showa: Watching on TV during Godzilla week or on the weekend creature features.
Champion Festival: Seeing in the cheap theaters, and then seeing them come to TV slowly replacing the Golden Showa
Heisei: Seeing the pictures in the Japanese magazines, then tracking down bootleg VHS and tape trading.
Millennium: Message board mayhem over the announcement, then images, leaks, and then reports of the Japanese release. Then waiting to see for yourself.
Monsterverse, Shin, and Anime: More of the same from the Millennium but being able to see the release instead of having to wait.

But no one film do I have a special attachment to do to personal feelings.

Anti-G Weapon
Ronin

Post by Anti-G Weapon »

Godzilla Vs Megalon will always be special to me since it was the first Godzilla film I saw and owned as a child.
Resized Image

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Godzilla 2000. My father took me to see it when I was 5. 14 years later I paid him back by taking him to 2014 at the exact same theater.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ToMG is my new favourite film so...
For Emperor and Empire!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Gorosaurus and Anguirus.

For Angy, for some reason I keep associating him with Canada, and so I like him for it.

I actually wrote a fan project about Gorosaurus when I was younger, like four or five years ago.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I have Godzilla vs. Gigan. It was the first movie I watched - or at least saw before the DVD crapped out on me.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I hold Godzilla, Mothra, MechaGodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. in very high regards, because it's the first Godzilla movie I ever saw.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'll be one of the first to admit it's timey-wimey plot is total BS, but Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah was the first Heisei film i ever saw and also made me really appreciate Suitamation as an art form.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

villainzilla
Yojimbo

Post by villainzilla »

im going to get a lot of hate for this,but i will tell what godzilla movie im attached anyways,final wars,final wars was the very first godzilla movie i saw and the very first i wanted to see soo badly,i watched this movie when i was like 9 years old,it was so fun,yeah i know the plot is kinda generic for the time when it was released and i know that the movie is not for those who despise the showa movies,but i will always have a attachment to the movie

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla (1956 U.S. version): First Godzilla film I ever saw, and Godzilla 1954 for the simple fact it's the unaltered Japanese original. They're pretty much companion pieces to each other now.

hentaisensei
Young Farmer

Post by hentaisensei »

Godzilla vs. the Thing (US version) — talked my parents into taking me to it when it played in theaters back in '64. I was 4 and it was the first Godzilla film I ever saw after reading about him in Famous Monsters.
Last edited by hentaisensei on Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

hentaisensei wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:47 am Godzilla vs. the Thing (US version) — talked my parents into taking me to it when it played in theaters back in '64. I was 4 and it was the first Godzilla film I ever saw after reading about him in Famous Monsters.
Wow!

How many of the other movies did you see in theaters?
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Shin Godzilla as well now that I think about it. I got to see a Japanese Godzilla film in theaters in October, with a Godzilla so horrifying looking it fits right in Halloween holiday. Also just in time for the guys birthday. Sometimes I wish Godzilla's birthday was on Halloween and not November 3rd.

hentaisensei
Young Farmer

Post by hentaisensei »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:30 am
hentaisensei wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:47 am Godzilla vs. the Thing (US version) — talked my parents into taking me to it when it played in theaters back in '64. I was 4 and it was the first Godzilla film I ever saw after reading about him in Famous Monsters.
Wow!

In the '70s I saw the theatrical re-releases of 'King Kong vs. Godzilla' and 'Destroy All Monsters' and also 'Godzilla vs. Megalon' when it was issued in the US. I didn't see another one on the big screen until 'Godzilla 2000.'

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

hentaisensei wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 am
Wow!

In the '70s I saw the theatrical re-releases of 'King Kong vs. Godzilla' and 'Destroy All Monsters' and also 'Godzilla vs. Megalon' when it was issued in the US. I didn't see another one on the big screen until 'Godzilla 2000.'
Dang man, I wish I got to see those movies in a theater. Do you by chance remember the typical audience reaction to movies like that? Like how were they viewed by the general public?

Anyhow, my pick is Godzilla vs Gigan. It's a movie I probably rented 50 times from Blockbuster before figured out I could just buy it. I even talked my fourth grade teacher into showing to the class.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

hentaisensei
Young Farmer

Post by hentaisensei »

ScootaVaran wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:46 pm
hentaisensei wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:13 am

Wow!

Dang man, I wish I got to see those movies in a theater. Do you by chance remember the typical audience reaction to movies like that? Like how were they viewed by the general public?

Anyhow, my pick is Godzilla vs Gigan. It's a movie I probably rented 50 times from Blockbuster before figured out I could just buy it. I even talked my fourth grade teacher into showing to the class.
The movies I saw in the '70s were summertime matinees, packed with screaming kids who cheered on the monsters and threw lots of popcorn.