Least Favorite Godzilla Movie

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your least favorite Godzilla movie?

Godzilla Raids Again
5%
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster)
2%
Son of Godzilla
No votes
All Monsters Attack (Godzilla's Revenge)
12%
Godzilla vs. Gigan
No votes
Godzilla vs. Megalon
5%
Godzilla vs. Mothra (Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle For Earth)
2%
Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla
6%
TriStar's Godzilla
26%
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
3%
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
5%
Godzilla: Final Wars
2%
Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters
5%
Godzilla: City on the Edge of Battle
14%
Godzilla: The Planet Eater
No votes
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
11%
A different film in the series (specify below)
6%

Total votes: 66

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Least Favorite Godzilla Movie

Post by JAGzilla »

GFW would've easily taken my vote a few years ago, but now the anime trilogy exists. At least GFW had some entertainment value.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean most the film is a dream.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Post by MekaGojira3k »

Mine tend to be vs. Megalon, vs. Mothra, X Megaguirus, and GINO. Depends on the day of the week which one I like least.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kiryu86 wrote:I can appreciate the Tri Star film for what it is, a cash grab. Godzilla's Revenge just feels like a fever dream and I cringe ever time I watch it, even when alone.
Both movies are essentially cash grabs, but at least with Revenge, there was a genuine effort made to tell a meaningful story with some heart to it. GINO is unabashed in its cynicism.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kiryu86
Samurai

Post by kiryu86 »

MekaGojira3k wrote:Mine tend to be vs. Megalon, vs. Mothra, X Megaguirus, and GINO. Depends on the day of the week which one I like least.
God, Megaguirus was awful. The acting was cardboard.
Not all who wander are lost

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

I'm bias, but since Godzilla vs Hedorah gave me nightmares when I was younger, its still my least favorite Godzilla film. Outside of that though, Godzilla vs Megaguirus was extrordinarily boring.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

eabaker wrote:GINO is unabashed in its cynicism.
The cynicism honestly is what makes the film so enjoyable for me. It has literally every bad 90's film trope rolled into a blender with even dumber jokes and a bad plot. But it's too hammy for me to fully hate it.

Enjoyment is the key for me liking these movies, and 98 is enjoyable, in it's own wacky way. And this just goes back to me despising COTEOB. No. Enjoyment. At all.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I love Godzilla Raids Again, GVM, Godzilla 1998, Tokyo SOS, and the animes. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla is the only film that really bores me for some reason. Even Godzilla V Megalon I find fun to watch.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Just to throw out a potentially less common take: Destroy All Monsters. Genuinely couldn't finish it, honestly. Aside from the big fight at the end the movie has legitimately nothing going for it. It felt like everyone who made it was running on fumes and was trying in desperation to emulate what made the three or four Godzilla films before it so great. Genuinely dull human characters, plus that one moment that's so tonally bizarre where one of the guy's violently rips out the woman's earrings that are mind controlling her and the end reaction is basically "LOL don't worry she's fine." Thank goodness it wasn't the end of the series because what a letdown that would have been.
Resized Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:Just to throw out a potentially less common take: Destroy All Monsters. Genuinely couldn't finish it, honestly. Aside from the big fight at the end the movie has legitimately nothing going for it.
*Nothing* going for it? Not the production design, art direction, cinematography, music, or special effects? Not to mention the spectacle: the big Tokyo beatdown doesn’t warrant a mention?

I think a movie with “legitimately nothing going for it” would by definition be one of the worst of all time, and while there are some bad Godzilla movies, I don’t think any of them are that bad. At the very least you can say that they’re technically competent productions.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I guess you can say hands down Godzilla (1998) is my least favorite film since it is the only one I don't own in any format at all.
But over all my lowest tier of Godzilla movies;
Godzilla Raids Again, All Monsters Attack, Godzilla Vs Gigan, Godzilla Vs Mothra (92), Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla II (93), Godzilla Vs Space Godzilla, Godzilla Vs Destoroyah, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla X Mechagodzilla, Tokyo SOS.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The 1998 film is weird. I don't think its the worst Godzilla. For me, it missed the mark so much that I am able to divorce it from the series entirely to the point that I don't usually count it. Maybe Final Wars officially making Zilla a separate monster had something to do with that, but when asked "What's the worst Godzilla movie of all time?", the 98 film doesn't even cross my mind. I don't know if its better to be the worst film in a series or so off the mark that I don't count it.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Nearly a year later, and my opinion has changed. COTEOB is now my least favourite, and what I think is the worst Godzilla movie.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

All three of the anime movies, lumped together, make up my least favorite. Of those, it’s hard to choose between Planet of the Monsters and City on the Edge of Battle. The former benefits from having one or two cool scenes, the latter benefits from a more thematically rich story. Both are dull and tedious, though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

For me, I gotta agree with some other people here, COTEOB is by far the worst ever. out of the classic 3 eras though? Godzilla vs Mothra might be the "worst" for me, but either Ebirah or Son of G are my least favorites
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

If we’re going off of entertainment value, like, would I sit down and watch this again for any purpose aside from education as a fan- GRA. Little to enjoy there, although it’s the most important of the bad G films.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Final Wars by a wide margin...the only others I strongly dislike are Hedorah (though I do respect it), Gigan, Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mothra 92, SpaceGodzilla, Tokyo S.O.S and KOTM.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 pm Final Wars by a wide margin...the only others I strongly dislike are Hedorah (though I do respect it), Gigan, Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mothra 92, SpaceGodzilla, Tokyo S.O.S and KOTM.
I concur, except Hedorah and Megalon. The latter is a fun movie that juts for laughs and the former is a genuinely good movie.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:54 pm
I concur, except Megalon. That is a fun movie that juts for laughs.
Interesting. As vocal a Showa fan as you are, I wouldn't have thought you'd dislike GvG and GvH. You're not exactly in the minority if you do, but I'm just a little surprised. What do you have against them?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:08 pm
VoyagerGoji wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:54 pm
I concur, except Megalon. That is a fun movie that juts for laughs.
Interesting. As vocal a Showa fan as you are, I wouldn't have thought you'd dislike GvG and GvH. You're not exactly in the minority if you do, but I'm just a little surprised. What do you have against them?
Oh my! I missed Hedorah! Not a fan of Gigan though. Just find it... unenjoyable. The human story is fine but the monster scenes aren't really that good.
For Emperor and Empire!