How would you feel if Universal made a Godzilla series?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Should Universal make a Godzilla series?

Yes!
6%
No!
29%
Maybe..
47%
Think there's better companies to handle Godzilla (explain bellow)
18%

Total votes: 17

Gigantis
Sazer

How would you feel if Universal made a Godzilla series?

Post by Gigantis »

This popped up in the MonsterVerse thread, so i decided to make a poll for it!

So say the MV gets canned. Most fans are upset, but Toho isn't giving up on getting Godzilla closer to American audiences. The search for studios has lead them to make a deal with none other than Universal itself, and a new Godzilla film has been announced for a 2022 release date. Would you like to see it?

Now tbf Universal hasn't always stuck to landing. Fallen Kingdom was just one big miss, Fast and the Furious have reached rather mixed reviews across the GA and critics, and like some have pointed out, they go for what entertains the GA more than the fans of a franchise, which some could see as a problem. BUT films like the 2005 King Kong film and The Lord of the Rings trilogy have proven with the right people on the job, they can certainly make astounding epics, and WETA Digital can certainly make monsters look amazing to the eyes!

Also a lot of people on their designing team worked on G14 (i think, correct me if i'm wrong) and they can make creative creatures, something which will come in handy for Godzilla's design along with the other monsters, old or new!

But on to you now, what's your thoughts on a potential Universal's Godzilla ?
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: How would you feel if Universal made a Godzilla series?

Post by Tohosaurus »

Universal would be as capable as WB or anyone else at making a quality series of Godzilla movies. It mainly comes down to how much autonomy they allowed among the producers, writers, and directors that would be associated with the project.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tyrantgoji wrote: So say the MV gets canned. Most fans are upset, but Toho isn't giving up on getting Godzilla closer to American audiences. The search for studios has lead them to make a deal with none other than Universal itself, and a new Godzilla film has been announced for a 2022 release date. Would you like to see it?
How is anyone supposed to answer this? I don't know, maybe? Who's the director? What's the story? Who's the cast? There's so many different variables that actually matter besides "X studio is making this".

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

UltramanGoji wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote: So say the MV gets canned. Most fans are upset, but Toho isn't giving up on getting Godzilla closer to American audiences. The search for studios has lead them to make a deal with none other than Universal itself, and a new Godzilla film has been announced for a 2022 release date. Would you like to see it?
How is anyone supposed to answer this? I don't know, maybe? Who's the director? What's the story? Who's the cast? There's so many different variables that actually matter besides "X studio is making this".
Considering Universal, i'd imagine Colin Trevorrow would be brought aboard for directing and writing..the latter for better or worse. Acting? Like i said they appeal to general audiences so they wanna get the biggest person in Hollywood, like Dwayne The Rock Johnson. Heh, what a weird combo. :lol:

Story? Action packed to all letters of hell. If it's anything like the JW films it's going full on KOTM/Final Wars with it's action, with some soulful moments of course.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tyrantgoji wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Considering Universal, i'd imagine Colin Trevorrow would be brought aboard for directing and writing..the latter for better or worse. Acting? Like i said they appeal to general audiences so they wanna get the biggest person in Hollywood, like Dwayne The Rock Johnson. Heh, what a weird combo. :lol:

Story? Action packed to all letters of hell.
In that case, it sounds absolutely terrible and I want no part in it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Eh I don't see how it could be all that much worse than what we've gotten so far without hiring someone like Emmerich again.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Universal wouldn't be able to top the MV unless they took the character down a tragic serious route.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don’t care if there are any more Godzilla movies or not. Japanese or American. I’ll be glad if any that do come out are good but, meh.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I'm with Ultra, this isn't really a question? Like, who cares what studio is paying for it and giving a million notes, it's about the people making it.

And there's no ONE director who works for this studio (unless you're a monopoly rodent, it seems). Trevorrow isn't Universal's go to director, he's one dude they keep with them for Jurassic World. Did he make Hobbs and Shaw? The Secret Life of Pets 2? Us? No, those were all projects by different people that just had the Universal banner.

There really is no answer I can give. I guess I wouldn't mind? Probably would happen if Monsterverse died because Legendary is partnered with Universal now outside of Monsterverse. We could get a Speilberg Godzilla movie maybe, I don't, what am I supposed to say here?
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Considering they can't even handle their own monsters (Dark Universe was a fail), I'd rather they stay away from other monster properties.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Yeah no, and if Trevorrow were to direct and write a Godzilla film for Universal, it would be the worst thing in existence.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I could dig it solely because it would mean another two Godzilla movies in a row distributed by Warner Brothers and then Universal, just like Gigantis and King Kong vs. Godzilla.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Like many here, I say that it depends on who's going to be involved. The right people could produce a good movie, but the wrong mix might produce some half baked action/monster film. I'll say maybe.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I'm not very optimistic about American movies anymore tbh.

Part of the charm of Godzilla are the vintage toho effects. The miniatures, the rubber suits. The experience just feels flawed without these.

If Toho wants a western take on Godzilla, they should work hire directors and talent themselves. Not send the IP to universal.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!