Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Annoying Opinions Other Fans Have About Godzilla Films

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:As a huge pop culture fan, i can say without a doubt EVERY fandom has its more mainstream fans who think any sort of iota of disagreement equals enough cause to call the entire fandom "the worst toxic community"
I can't speak for others, but I think receiving death threats over a Godzilla video is a bit more than just a mere disagreement.
When did this happen? Regardless imo i think isolated incidents shouldn't represent a community as a whole, as there's tons of us worldwide.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:As a huge pop culture fan, i can say without a doubt EVERY fandom has its more mainstream fans who think any sort of iota of disagreement equals enough cause to call the entire fandom "the worst toxic community"
I can't speak for others, but I think receiving death threats over a Godzilla video is a bit more than just a mere disagreement.
When did this happen? Regardless imo i think isolated incidents shouldn't represent a community as a whole, as there's tons of us worldwide.
Back in 2016. It was something like 20 people.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Living Corpse wrote:
You talking about that old, kinda crappy animated Shin Godzilla vs. Legendary Godzilla fight video that caused a ton of controversy?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gigantis wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
You talking about that old, kinda crappy animated Shin Godzilla vs. Legendary Godzilla fight video that caused a ton of controversy?
No.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Living Corpse wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
No.
Corpse received death threats himself if I recall. I think it was over him doing non-Godzilla videos on his channel and there was outrage. Dman was involved in the hate too. I could be speaking shit right now, my memory is fuzzy. Corpse if you could explain what you mean yourself that'd be good.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think the DMan sitch is a separate one. Could be wrong though.

DM is disliked mostly due to a very childish demeanor, but that's a story for another time.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
No.
Corpse received death threats himself if I recall. I think it was over him doing non-Godzilla videos on his channel and there was outrage. Dman was involved in the hate too. I could be speaking shit right now, my memory is fuzzy. Corpse if you could explain what you mean yourself that'd be good.
I honestly don't want to get into it but yeah that sums it up. Though it's more accurate to say I was outraged over the harassment for non-Godzilla videos. Nothing new, a few years before that some guy was harassing SuperGodzillaGaming for playing one of the Attack on Titan games instead of a Godzilla game. Still kaiju.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Living Corpse wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
No.
Corpse received death threats himself if I recall. I think it was over him doing non-Godzilla videos on his channel and there was outrage. Dman was involved in the hate too. I could be speaking poop right now, my memory is fuzzy. Corpse if you could explain what you mean yourself that'd be good.
I honestly don't want to get into it but yeah that sums it up. Though it's more accurate to say I was outraged over the harassment for non-Godzilla videos. Nothing new, a few years before that some guy was harassing SuperGodzillaGaming for playing one of the Attack on Titan games instead of a Godzilla game. Still kaiju.
That's a shame! I hope everything got settled all right in the end.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
I think that's why i like Godzilla 2014 so much and hate Godzilla King of the Monsters. He's sympathetic and struggling in the first one, and just unstoppable in the second one.
Nah, he's fairly stoppable in KOTM. The Oxygen Destroyer wrecked him even if he did survive, and Mothra had to save him at least twice in the final battle.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

JAGzilla wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
I think that's why i like Godzilla 2014 so much and hate Godzilla King of the Monsters. He's sympathetic and struggling in the first one, and just unstoppable in the second one.
Nah, he's fairly stoppable in KOTM. The Oxygen Destroyer wrecked him even if he did survive, and Mothra had to save him at least twice in the final battle.
And all the times Ghidorah kicked his shit in, even after he got a nuke power up.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

True. Godzilla only defeated KG because of the nuclear pulse.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

It never ceases to entertain me that we have one group of people who dislike KoTM because they think Godzilla was overpowered and won too easily while at the same time we have another group of people who dislike KoTM because they think Godzilla was underpowered and couldn't have won without a series of "bullshit powerups"
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Then there's me with the "Let's goooooo Monsterverse" foam finger, cheering on each new entry.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

_JNavs_ wrote:Then there's me with the "Let's goooooo Monsterverse" foam finger, cheering on each new entry.
Got a spare?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

_JNavs_ wrote:Then there's me with the "Let's goooooo Monsterverse" foam finger, cheering on each new entry.
We're friends now.

That is if we weren't before.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

This is basically me, too. They're not perfect, but they're fun. Obviously it's great if a movie can actually be intelligent and well-made, even better if it can have something important to say, but first and foremost I just want to be entertained, and the Monsterverse is achieving that so far.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:
Got a spare?
Sure, I've got plenty!
DirektorSplennic wrote:
We're friends now.

That is if we weren't before.
We were, but we shall be again :lol:

Added in 1 minute 35 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote:
This is basically me, too. They're not perfect, but they're fun. Obviously it's great if a movie can actually be intelligent and well-made, even better if it can have something important to say, but first and foremost I just want to be entertained, and the Monsterverse is achieving that so far.
Yeah i mean, i think they're a bit smarter than they're given credit for, not by much, but enough to where i can say yeah this franchise keeps my attention and interests, longer than most current big time franchises. Plus yeah they're definitely stocked with entertainment galore.

KaijuDude810
Yojimbo

Post by KaijuDude810 »

I've seen condescending attitude towards younger Godzilla fans. One time I saw someone making fun of them and saying that the only movies they've seen are 2014 and KotM. Of course, this assumption is "aBsOlUteLy coRrEcT bEcAuSE thEy hAvEn't sEen trUe gOjI kInO!!!!" In all seriousness, it's ridiculous to be angry that the younger fans haven't seen the older films. That's like making fun of a 5-month infant because they cannot recite the alphabet. "Oh, you haven't spent over 80 dollars to watch Biollante? Not a true fan! Your first Godzilla film was 1998 or Monsterverse? Not a true fan!" This thought process plagues most fandoms, unfortunately. The examples I think of off the top of my head are Transformers and Star Wars fans over the Michael Bay films and the Prequels respectively.

On the other side of things, I've seen Godzilla fans that think they're hot Hedorah sludge and an expert on Godzilla because they watched Cinemassacre Godzillathon once. I'm not saying that it doesn't make you a "true fan" or any of that BS. But, I think you should watch the film at least before you give an opinion on it. So many Godzilla fans seem to just go off of what others think. "Revenge bad! 98 bad! Shin good! 54 good!" I'm not saying that those opinions are wrong, either. They're perfectly valid. However, people just seem to jump on the bandwagon without actually giving their own thoughts.
Last edited by KaijuDude810 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

People acting like if you don't like the MonsterVerse films you're somehow an elitist Toho purist.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983