Does Toho Hate Showa King Ghidorah?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Does Toho Hate Showa King Ghidorah?

Post by BlankAccount »

Why would they? He was one of their more famous monsters, they kept him in the final draft of Godzilla vs Gigan cause they knew a classic would draw more people in than a new monster alone.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Living Corpse wrote:Why would they? He was one of their more famous monsters, they kept him in the final draft of Godzilla vs Gigan cause they knew a classic would draw more people in than a new monster alone.
Or King Ghidorah had the most stock footage they could use.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

szmigiel wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Why would they? He was one of their more famous monsters, they kept him in the final draft of Godzilla vs Gigan cause they knew a classic would draw more people in than a new monster alone.
Or King Ghidorah had the most stock footage they could use.
:roll:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

How’s that especially relevant nearly 50 years later?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Of course they hate him.

He knows what he did...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Added in 44 seconds:
Malchik wrote:No, that would be the last thing to go through the Japanese's mind.
What the fuck does that mean?
The Japanese are not nearly as culturally sensitive with their media unless it concerns something their own culture stigmatizes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:No one posting on the Toho Kingdom forums can answer this question. Every response is going to be baseless speculation.
That’s true, but I offered useful evidence of what the deal was with the comics: that mainly it just played out due to circumstance and story that Showa Ghidorah got ignored. With video games (which we have little idea how Toho is actually involved) I offered the idea that it has to do with MKG and the fact that Showa Ghidorah still makes appearances.

I think from my own perspective that the original hypothesis is flawed and that Toho has nothing against Showa Ghidorah.

Added in 53 seconds:
Malchik wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Added in 44 seconds:
Malchik wrote:No, that would be the last thing to go through the Japanese's mind.
What the skreeonk does that mean?
The Japanese are not nearly as culturally sensitive with their media unless it concerns something their own culture stigmatizes.
That’s a bit of a generalization, and your original wording was sketchy but alright.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'm sure Toho doesn't "hate" the Showa incarnation - that would make no sense, considering that's the ORIGINAL Ghidorah, created by the team under the legendary Eiji Tsuburaya, and star villain in several iconic films of the franchise.
My guess is, the 1991 Ghidorah is simply the default design these days, much like the general 90s Godzilla suit is often their default Godzilla. Characters like Gigan and Anguirus probably tend to reappear as their Showa versions because they didn't HAVE 90s variations, and their 2004 designs probably just aren't as marketable.
Personally, I wish we DID get more Showa Ghidorah, as I think it's the stronger design of the two - but I don't even see as much Showa Godzilla as I would often like, either, besides the 1954 design.