Should there have been a Sauropod Kaiju?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Should there have been a Sauropod Kaiju?

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Godzilla is recognizable as having a similar shape to an instantly recognizable theropod dinosaur like Tyrannosaurus. Particular the upright walk that the Tyrannosaurus was believed to have at the time.

Pteranodon's also have a very well known public image so it's clear why Rodan became a monster.

You have Anguirus as well.

So it's not unreasonable to think that they could have done a Sauropod Kaiju on four legs. Keep in mind 'Brontosaurus' was the first giant monster to be seen rampaging in a city on screen in The Lost World. So it could have been a nice connection.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Should there have been a Sauropod Kaiju?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Probably the reason why they never made such a monster is because it would have been incredibly awkward for suit actors. You’d have to have two sets of legs standing up (this is why Angurius’s back legs often “drag”. Then you’d also have to balance the neck and the tail.

Not saying it can’t be done, but there’s probably a reason. Maybe in the future we will get something.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

True bud. The idea entered my head watching Baby: Secret of The Lost Legend once again.

They have at least three animatronic Brontosaurus in the movie (That's what they call it in the movie, Apatosaurus be damned).

I did think about another four legged kaiju being depicted as walking on it's knees like Anguirus.

I guess as you say since Toho is using digital effects now it's more likely but representing dinosaurs at kaiju size might have been a thing of the Showa era.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Should there have been? What's stopping Toho from making one now?

Also,i want a Ceratopsian Kaiju first,then we can get to Mr. Longnecc.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Fortunately, we have Kaiju Ouji/Monster Prince for one.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Ultraman series had some. Gigasaurus and Goldon come to mind. It could be done with suitmation, but knee walking was probably easier and cheaper. With CGI, it would be very easy to do.

As for a ceratopsian, Jiger is close.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I'm so glad I made this thread.

Just started watching some episodes of Monster Prince - Kaiju Ouji and it's the best thing eeeverr.

Interesting to see that Gigasaurus was in the Australian Ultraman.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Well at the very least, the Monsterverse has Mokele-Mbembe so there still can be a Sauropod kaiju!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tyrantgoji wrote:Well at the very least, the Monsterverse has Mokele-Mbembe so there still can be a Sauropod kaiju!
An elephant-headed crocodile sauropod, but still a sauropod!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Know I'm way too late for this, but I feel Brontosaurus and Apatosaurus would be perfect for a sauropod kaiju, mostly because of a little something called Brontosmash.
Long story short, in 2015, some palaeontologists looked at their neck vertebrae and suggested they had big lumps on them due to their shape, suggesting a fighting style amongst themselves of shoving necks into one another.

Now imagine a sauropod kaiju with a mix massive blunt spines and shap spines on its neck, slamming itself down onto smaller opponents, shattering and smashing their organs and bones into a pulp.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

All I see are neck nipples

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

DirektorSplennic wrote:All I see are neck nipples
Try something less overly colorful.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Desghidorah wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:All I see are neck nipples
Try something less overly colorful.

Yes that is better thank you.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I still see neck nipples. Could this Martin guy maybe stick the spikes on a less weirder area?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Gigantis wrote:I still see neck nipples. Could this Martin guy maybe stick the spikes on a less weirder area?

.... How? Oh well.

Point is a sauropod kaiju I think can work well. Already had Sauropod mecha with Zoids.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Yeah, this is what I mean

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Main problem with Sauropod Kaijus is that, unless they're gargantuan in size, they won't feel as imposing as say Godzilla.

Godzilla's size is entirely his, while a sauropod owes much of it's height to it's neck.

Makes them much less imposing
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Manuelito Canelito wrote:Main problem with Sauropod Kaijus is that, unless they're gargantuan in size, they won't feel as imposing as say Godzilla.

Godzilla's size is entirely his, while a sauropod owes much of it's height to it's neck.

Makes them much less imposing
Only if you stick directly to the source material with no liberties. Take this statue:
Basically already a kaiju design right there.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Some sauropods reached tremendous lengths and height. The Argentinasaurus is estimated to have reached up to 40 meters.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Of course.
For Emperor and Empire!