Maps of Kaiju in Film: Would you be interested?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Maps of Kaiju in Film: Would you be interested?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in me making maps of kaiju's positions, and actions within each individual film. I would make a map for each individual Godzilla film (and other Toho films down the line) and map where kaiju make their appearances, and which specific cities they destroy. I would include rough time frames, or allow it to be obvious what time frame of events there are.

This might seem like a really minor thing, but since moving to Japan I've realized how important a lot of Japan's topography and geography is important to kaiju films. A lot of films have very logically planned out sequences of where kaiju appear and march towards. However, it's really easy to forget this, and not notice where these events take place. It's easy to mentally generalize everything as "Tokyo". A good example is that in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Ghidorah flies around pretty quickly from different parts of the country with easy, but to casual viewings, it may just seem like Ghidorah starts out in one area and sort of remains there. Another example is that in Shin Godzilla, they start out early saying Godzilla is attacking "Tokyo", which is correct, but slightly misleading to western fans. In context, they don't mean Tokyo City, but rather the prefecture or state. Of course he winds up later in Tokyo, but it's why early on Godzilla is in the countryside.

Bear in mind, I'm busy translating some old Godzilla manga, and writing up an article for the main site, so I wouldn't start this for another month, but I'm interested if anyone would like me to make these maps.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Maps of Kaiju in Film: Would you be interested?

Post by Gigantis »

Eh,sure,why not? It could be fun!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

This sounds like a fun project. Do your thing man.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Seems like it would be useful to have maps like that around. Fanfic writers or someone might benefit from them. and it's just a cool idea in general.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I'd be very interested!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

https://dev.classmethod.jp/business/bus ... -godzilla/
On this website a fan created an interactive map of locations that are given in each Godzilla film.
Unfortunately while google translate does work on the page, it doesn't work on the interactive map, so you will need to be somewhat familiar with Japanese to be able to navigate it. But it can be searched by film, and you can zoom in down to street level.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

szmigiel wrote:https://dev.classmethod.jp/business/bus ... -godzilla/
On this website a fan created an interactive map of locations that are given in each Godzilla film.
Unfortunately while google translate does work on the page, it doesn't work on the interactive map, so you will need to be somewhat familiar with Japanese to be able to navigate it. But it can be searched by film, and you can zoom in down to street level.
Thanks, that’s very useful. I can actually read pretty much all the map related stuff.

However, my idea was to make a map for each individual film, to show the movement of the kaiju in each film coherently.

One thing that’s interesting though is how Godzilla always appears from the Pacific Ocean. He barely ever if ever approaches from the other side.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

...Now that you mention it, a lot of the Godzilla "Super Complete Works" books have these kind of simple maps included. Example one from GvD Perfection:

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It would be an interesting tool to learn more about the nation Godzilla calls home.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: One thing that’s interesting though is how Godzilla always appears from the Pacific Ocean. He barely ever if ever approaches from the other side.
That is interesting. Maybe that's just for story convenience; if he mostly just hangs out on Japan's Pacific coast, that makes him mostly Japan's problem, and the rest of the world can be more or less ignored. Put him in the Sea of Japan, however, and China, Russia, and the Koreas are (realistically, at least) going to have to sit up real straight and take notice, likely leading to serious tension over how to deal with him. There's probably a cool movie to be made, there, but most likely it would be hard to market to China...

That, and the Pacific side has more major cities.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

This sounds like a really cool idea! I’d love to see maps of this kind!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

If anyone wants to, there's a map called "Godzilla's Path through the Marvel Universe" listed in the Information section on the Wikipedia article "Godzilla (comics)" that can be viewed.

Just thought you'd like to know.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I think this is a great idea; it would be a clear and interesting way of realizing the stories better from a western perspective, with little knowledge of Japanese geography.
Might I suggest gauging interest in other communities, as well? I bet the folks over at Monster Zero would have a blast with a project like this, and some of the people on Facebook, Tumblr, etc might really enjoy it too (if you have any accounts or connections through those sites).

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Absolutely! I've seen some maps like this in a few Japanese Godzilla books and they always looked cool. It would be great to have a map for every movie! :D
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609