Godzilla Film Tier List

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Godzilla Film Tier List

Post by Dr. Professor »

JAGzilla wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:*list*
Well, this one stands out. The top two tiers are unremarkable outside of the inclusion of TPE, but then you've got GvSG in the third tier while GvMGII and GvD are below GINO... That's a little bit of a head-scratcher. :lol: I can understand putting the latter two at the bottom, but what gives the famously shoddy SG a pass?
Eh, something about it just clicks with me. :shrug: I'd have to watch it again to really explain why though. Been kind of a while.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Image
So brave putting Megaguirus that high and GxMG so low.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

VoyagerGoji wrote:
That's because GXMG is a hollow retread of Megaguirus. Love Megaguirus or hate it, at least it has character. The Kiryu films are the most banal films in the franchise.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
That's because GXMG is a hollow retread of Megaguirus. Love Megaguirus or hate it, at least it has character. The Kiryu films are the most banal films in the franchise.
GxMG is a pretty good Godzilla film, but SOS? I agree that the film is boring as heck.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

VoyagerGoji wrote: GxMG is a pretty good Godzilla film, but SOS? I agree that the film is boring as heck.
In all fairness, GXMG is a lot better than SOS even though I placed them in the same tier. In a traditional, lettered/numbered tier list, I'd place GXMG in the C Tier and Tokyo SOS in the D Tier. But for this tier list, I decided to categorize the films by the way I felt about them instead of outright ranking them into tiers, since I had already done that at least twice on this thread.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GXMG is a so-so flick. Kiryu's awesome in concept but needed a bit more better execution, but even then he's still pretty cool. S.O.S is just... so dull. It was the first ever Godzilla film i actually fell asleep watching.

Added in 36 minutes 12 seconds:
Anyway,how the heck do i upload these list?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

S tier- Gojira 1954, Giant monsters all out attack, Godzilla vs Destroyah

A tier-Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante, Son of Godzilla, Ghidorah the three-headed monster, Destroy all monsters, King Kong vs Godzilla

B tier-Invasion of Astro monster, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Shin Godzilla, Godzilla 2014

C tier- Godzilla King of the monsters, Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs Gigan, Godzilla against Mechagodzilla, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2, Return of Godzilla, Godzilla 2000

D tier- Godzilla raids again, Godzilla vs Megalon, Godzilla 1998, Godzilla final wars, Godzilla: planet of the monsters, Godzilla vs Megaguirus, Tokyo S.O.S, Godzilla vs Ebirah

E tier- Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla, Godzilla vs Mothra: battle for earth, Godzilla: The planet eater, Godzilla vs Hedorah

Cancerous-All monsters attack, Godzilla: City on the edge of battle

Call it blasphemous that put Son of Godzilla in the A tier, but I don't care.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

tyrantgoji wrote: Anyway,how the heck do i upload these list?
Just download your list to your desktop, upload it to postimage.org (no account needed), then copy the URL and paste inside the Img brackets.

Added in 2 minutes 29 seconds:
GmkGoji wrote: Call it blasphemous that put Son of Godzilla in the A tier, but I don't care.
It's not blasphemous at all. Son of Godzilla is an A Tier Godzilla movie.

What is blasphemous is putting Godzilla vs. Hedorah in E Tier with trash like Space Godzilla and Planet Eater. I liked your list a lot until I saw that.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I think the image is gonna come out a bit too tiny..
EDIT: Wow, not at all! :lol:
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Damn, I can't fathom how anyone can put GRA above G14. Say what you will about G14's characters, but the imagery alone is far better than GRA's and that put its in the high section of tiers for me.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Here's mine updated to today.

Last edited by Voyager on Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

VoyagerGoji wrote:Here's mine updated to today.

Our opinions seem to align pretty well. Only big difference is that I like Ebirah and Megaguirus a lot more, and you like King Ghidorah and GXMG a lot more.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Eh, what the hell?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

UltramanGoji wrote:Damn, I can't fathom how anyone can put GRA above G14. Say what you will about G14's characters, but the imagery alone is far better than GRA's and that put its in the high section of tiers for me.
Well honestly i didn't really start warming up to Raids Again till really recently. I feel like beneath some of that cheesiness there's some actual deep thought put into it.

In this case, Godzilla and Anguirus represent America and Soviet Russia. Japan, at the time of the Cold War , was incredibly afraid that both country was gonna become a new war zone for it. America already had bases on the island, Russia could easily get their, they had no weapons...if the two came into their country to fight, they'd be in BIG trouble. And the kaiju represent that. Capitalism and Communism fighting with a bunch of people who just want to live (the characters in the movie) unfortunately at the risk of getting killed in the crossfire. Despite this, the movie is a lot lighter than G54, even when people die others find a way to keep going: a metaphor for Japan finally moving on from the atomic bombs. As long as the country still exist, they have the power to keep going after any disaster.

I didn't think of this till really recently, but because of it, Raids Again was moved up quite a tad because of it.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Interesting theory. I’ll have to keep that in mind next time I rewatch it.

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

Added in 2 minutes 29 seconds:
GmkGoji wrote: Call it blasphemous that put Son of Godzilla in the A tier, but I don't care.
It's not blasphemous at all. Son of Godzilla is an A Tier Godzilla movie.

What is blasphemous is putting Godzilla vs. Hedorah in E Tier with trash like Space Godzilla and Planet Eater. I liked your list a lot until I saw that.[/quote]

For me, it's just personal bias against that film. If not for the bias, i'd actually put it in the C tier.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GmkGoji wrote:For me, it's just personal bias against that film. If not for the bias, i'd actually put it in the C tier.
A bias based on what?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

eabaker wrote:
GmkGoji wrote:For me, it's just personal bias against that film. If not for the bias, i'd actually put it in the C tier.
A bias based on what?
Godzilla vs Hedorah is my personal least favorite Godzilla film due to the slightly disturbing nature of it. When I first watched it, it terrified me o the point I was actually scared of anything relating to Godzilla. I eventually overcame it of course, but whenever I watch it, it still gives me unpleasant vibes. In terms of it actually being a movie, its not bad. It has its flaws yes, and it can be slightly cringe at times, but its actually pretty good.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GmkGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
A bias based on what?
Godzilla vs Hedorah is my personal least favorite Godzilla film due to the slightly disturbing nature of it. When I first watched it, it terrified me o the point I was actually scared of anything relating to Godzilla. I eventually overcame it of course, but whenever I watch it, it still gives me unpleasant vibes. In terms of it actually being a movie, its not bad. It has its flaws yes, and it can be slightly cringe at times, but its actually pretty good.
That seems more like a response than a bias. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.