Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Keizer
Yojimbo

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Keizer »

godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:15 pm
Keizer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:05 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:47 am

I mean the original King Ghidorah in the Showa Era was passed around like a mind-controlled toy among every alien race under the sun, so really his reputation as this planet destroying chaotic force was already kinda hurt by his use in all but one of his appearances. I don't see how making Heisei (Who also was a mind controlled pawn) a cyborg diminishes this anymore than beforehand.
True. That's probably why I tend to be fond of the 1998 and 2019 ones, as well as his first appearance, and probably another reason I tend to not like the second half of the Showa era that much. I like Ghidorah most when he is a towering, unstoppable, uncontrollable, planet-destroying behemoth; not when is is just someone's heavyweight. I suppose that is just a "thing" with me; I don't like Kaiju that can be controlled, either by mind-control, or it being a robot. Not sure why.
I mean Ghidorah in the Showa was made a pawn as early as 1965. The very second film he appeared in, and become an issue with him thereafter. Which I agree is a shame.

Probably a similar reason MV Ghidorah is my fav version of the character: Agency. It is nice when a creature acts upon their own interests rather than being told what to do by someone else. Especially when that creature is supposed to be this invading planetary threat, can make it feel cheap when they then basically exist to be a walking gun by some group of humans/aliens.
Word. Even if I am not a huge fan of how he slithers around instead of standing proudly, I think Ghidorah as a design and character is more or less perfect in the MV, which is especially great for a Western adaption.
Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:50 pm
Keizer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:07 am
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:09 am

I've warmed to Mothra but I'm still not a fan. Also not a fan of the slinking Ghidorah. I like the design fine but I really hate how he was filmed most the time. Ghidorah is typically portrayed as a huge, imposing, but majestic monolith that towers over the other monsters. MV Ghidorah is constantly slithering around and hunching over. I get the idea giving him more serpentine movements but I don't think it fits with the idea of what Ghidorah should be.
I agree with this, actually. In terms of raw design, I actually think 2019 is quite possibly the best one so far, and he is portrayed pretty well as a whole, but the fact that he is much more snake-like kinda diminishes his on-screen presence. He comes across as more sinister than imposing, if that makes sense.

On the subject of Ghidorah though, and I'm not sure how unpopular this is: with a few tweaks to its design, Keizer Ghidorah would probably be one of my favorite Godzilla monsters. I think he could make a cool contrast to King Ghidorah; King would be the shining, regal, and tyrannical one, while Keizer would be the dark, maniacal, and sadistic one. I even like that it is a four-legged monster as well, even with the wings look like rubbish.
I like your idea on the King/Keizer contrast. But the one thing about Keizer Ghidorah’s design that irks me to no end, is his stupid little rat tails.
Yeah, Keizer's design in general is a freaking mess. The too -ong legs, the tiny bat wings, the rat-tails, the oddly shaped necks... I actually do like the idea of a four-legged Ghidorah; Death Ghidorah looked pretty good, but Keizer just looks cruddy, or at least the suit does. I do like how all three heads look different, though; it does make Keizer look more twisted and monstrous. That would be one thing I keep for a Keizer Ghidorah redesign.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jet Jaguar is the better Ultraman ripoff.

The 1968 Godzilla suit doesn't look too good.

Destoroyah should stay as a one-time villain.

Behemoth is the least interesting Titan

Monsterverse Ghidorah is the most generic you can possibly make him look.

Anime Mechagodzilla (in the pre-abandonment form) is better than Heisei MG.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:29 pm Jet Jaguar is the better Ultraman ripoff.

Give me a sec.....I need to process some of this bull I just read.

Somebody please pass me the Peptobismol stat.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:29 pm Jet Jaguar is the better Ultraman ripoff.

1. Zone Fighter would like a word with you, but I agree there.

2. Have you seen the suit from SOG? 68 Godzilla looks better than that one.

3. Agreed.

4. We don't have too many elephant based kaiju. I liked the design.

5. I wouldn't call it the most generic, but other KG designs have been better.

6. I have yet to see that version, so no opinion there.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:21 pm 1. Zone Fighter would like a word with you, but I agree there.

2. Have you seen the suit from SOG? 68 Godzilla looks better than that one.
1: I was comparing Jet to him.
2: Yes and I do agree he looks worse than 68. However, I wouldn't call it one of my favorite Showa Godzilla suits.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I feel indifferent to this.
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:29 pm The 1968 Godzilla suit doesn't look too good.
Ok, get out. Leave the forums, and never return.
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:29 pm Destoroyah should stay as a one-time villain.
I’d like to see him again someday, but not overusing him.
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:29 pm Behemoth is the least interesting Titan
Yeah, he’s a bit generic.
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:29 pm Monsterverse Ghidorah is the most generic you can possibly make him look.
Could have been worse, he may’ even had his tail-balls(?) taken away.
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:29 pm Anime Mechagodzilla (in the pre-abandonment form) is better than Heisei MG.
Gotta Disagree. Heisei is bland, sure, but he’s not outlandish and terrible.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I like to go with Toho's expanded sources and consider Hedorah a female.

No particular reason, I just think its neat.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Mechabrozilla wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:10 am Maybe an unpopular opinion but I like to go with Toho's expanded sources and consider Hedorah a female.

No particular reason, I just think its neat.
We could definitely do with more female Kaiju

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

*vanishes in asterisks*

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

How much of a hot take is it to say that I am not a fan of Godzilla's 2000 design? It is different, and I don't mind its existence in the grand scheme of things, since it offers something unique, but I still dislike it overall. The green skin, giant purple spines, odd ovular face shape, and orange atomic breath all just... don't do it for me. The Millennium era in general experimented a lot of with Godzilla's design, none of which I am head over heels for.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

I think Kiryu is the least appealing Mechagodzilla design, and have no idea why it tops so many people's favorite list.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

ebirah_scampi wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:24 am I think Kiryu is the least appealing Mechagodzilla design, and have no idea why it tops so many people's favorite list.
https://youtu.be/t4PE9k25TEY

i’ve found my new favorite response
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I don't think MV Godzilla is a particularly good design anymore.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Getting spicy in here.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I like it but I don't love it. I wish the head was bigger and the eyes were more prominent. Prefer bigger sharper teeth too.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Honestly MV Godzilla design has grown on me. Felt the eyes might've been too small to emote and the lighting on occasion in the MV films doesn't help. But I've grown to enjoy the design and my concerns of expression were more or less removed as of Godzilla vs. Kong.

Now for a real unpopular opinion: The human plot in Godzilla vs. Kong is not that bad. *Sips tea*

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I... never thought I'd see the day.

Where an opinion... is undeniably wrong. In no universe where the film is unchanged, is the human plot considered anything above below average. jk Jacob you're all good.
For Emperor and Empire!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It can't be any worse than what the MonsterVerse has done so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:14 pm Now for a real unpopular opinion: The human plot in Godzilla vs. Kong is not that bad. *Sips tea*
The human plot is largely functional; the problem is that there's not much of a human story.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Voyager wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:57 pm I don't think MV Godzilla is a particularly good design anymore.
Yeah, a lot of the changes made back in '19 spoiled it.