Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Fish Cakes wrote:I don't want another Godzilla fighting game, I want a kaiju-collecting RPG in a similar vein to Pokemon or Ni No Kuni.
Am I the only one who wants both? On a vacation, I discussed an idea of a mobile augmented-reality collect-em-all game like Pokemon Go and Jurassic World Alive where you play as Monarch and discover titans to use in battle with my dad.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:I don't want another Godzilla fighting game, I want a kaiju-collecting RPG in a similar vein to Pokemon or Ni No Kuni.
Am I the only one who wants both? On a vacation, I discussed an idea of a mobile augmented-reality collect-em-all game like Pokemon Go and Jurassic World Alive where you play as Monarch and discover titans to use in battle with my dad.
Problem there is those games work because there's MULTIPLE creatures to collect.

You do that for Monsterverse you either have to BS a reason why there's multiple Godzillas, Mothras, and Ghidorahs or have the low tier ones like Behemoth as common and the big guys impossible to unlock legendries.

It's a nice idea, but that problem ruins implementation. Maybe if it was a cartoonish team set up RPG like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance?

RIP Evan.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Ah, exactly what the idea needed, to be hijacked by Monsterverse and Mobile bullshit. Thanks.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

At this point i just want a good Godzilla game, it seems like an interesting idea though.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

You do that for Monsterverse you either have to BS a reason why there's multiple Godzillas, Mothras, and Ghidorahs or have the low tier ones like Behemoth as common and the big guys impossible to unlock legendries.

What if Toho allowed the game to use other Toho monsters like Baragon, Gorosaurus, or Manda? I'm sure they could be changed to match the Monsterverse aesthetic, and then you have more options.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SoggyNoodles2016

edgaguirus wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

What if Toho allowed the game to use other Toho monsters like Baragon, Gorosaurus, or Manda? I'm sure they could be changed to match the Monsterverse aesthetic, and then you have more options.
Still the same problem because canonically, only Baragon and Gorosaurus have multiple members of the species. Of the combined Toho roster, there's only enough to count on one hand

RIP Evan.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Still the same problem because canonically, only Baragon and Gorosaurus have multiple members of the species. Of the combined Toho roster, there's only enough to count on one hand
^ Don't forget Rodan. Also there have been multiple Godzillas in the same continuity, they just never show up at the same time.

I've noticed it's become less of an unpopular opinion over the years but I've always loved Minya! The little guy is adorable and he's my favorite incarnation of Godzilla's son. I feel like his haters don't give him enough credit, he was already capable of atomic breath and actually being able to aide Godzilla in a fight not long after he was born.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

SoggyNoodles2016

Showa Gojira wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Still the same problem because canonically, only Baragon and Gorosaurus have multiple members of the species. Of the combined Toho roster, there's only enough to count on one hand
^ Don't forget Rodan. Also there have been multiple Godzillas in the same continuity, they just never show up at the same time.
True. I just think it'll be harder to explain considering the idea stems from a solely Monsterverse set game where every kaiju is supposed to be the lone survivors of it's species, so around 60 spawning a day doesn't work lol.
I've noticed it's become less of an unpopular opinion over the years but I've always loved Minya! The little guy is adorable and he's my favorite incarnation of Godzilla's son. I feel like his haters don't give him enough credit, he was already capable of atomic breath and actually being able to aide Godzilla in a fight not long after he was born.
Every time someone say something nice about Minilla, my hope in humanity grows a little bigger.

Minilla is a ugly cute little spud who helped make the franchise what it is while being endearing as shit, you guys are just mean.

RIP Evan.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:True. I just think it'll be harder to explain considering the idea stems from a solely Monsterverse set game where every kaiju is supposed to be the lone survivors of it's species, so around 60 spawning a day doesn't work lol.
If it's solely based off the Monsterverse that would indeed pose a problem. Might as well incorporate every Godzilla series if you want to make that kind of game though.

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Every time someone say something nice about Minilla, my hope in humanity grows a little bigger.

Minilla is a ugly cute little spud who helped make the franchise what it is while being endearing as poop, you guys are just mean.
Same here! Despite him getting a lot of hate over the years everyone I know in person who likes Kaiju films loves him. Also I highly approve of the idea of Minya getting added to Super Smash Bros hahaha.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Showa Gojira wrote:I've noticed it's become less of an unpopular opinion over the years but I've always loved Minya! The little guy is adorable and he's my favorite incarnation of Godzilla's son. I feel like his haters don't give him enough credit, he was already capable of atomic breath and actually being able to aide Godzilla in a fight not long after he was born.
Every time someone say something nice about Minilla, my hope in humanity grows a little bigger.

Minilla is a ugly cute little spud who helped make the franchise what it is while being endearing as shit, you guys are just mean.
Minira (sorry, just wanted to continue introducing variant spellings to the conversation) is a wonderful character, with a design that nicely blends the naturally animalistic with the anthropomorphic. He manages to be simultaneously pathetic and endearing, and I love him.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

For my money, Minizilla is a pretty cool Kaiju because he look funny and has smoke ring attack.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The same people who hate ミニラare the same people who hate the lighter elements of the franchise because Godzilla isn’t “dark” or “adult/badass enough”.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

In Manila's mini mills, an ill Minila mills illy.
Last edited by Fish Cakes on Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Haven't there been some dudes here who literally said that they didn't like telling people they like Godzilla for fear of them discovering Minilla and dancing Godzilla
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Smuggers wrote:Haven't there been some dudes here who literally said that they didn't like telling people they like Godzilla for fear of them discovering Minilla and dancing Godzilla
That's like not telling people you like The Mamas and the Papas because you fear they'll discover their harmonies.

That's like not telling people you like Mark Twain because you fear they'll discover his satirical edge.

That's like not telling people you like diamonds because you fear they'll discover that they sparkle.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

S77
Ronin

Post by S77 »

I honestly hate the Hesei Godzilla design. Way to slow moving and clumsy looking for my taste. Also I felt that he overused his atomic breath.
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds...

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

S77 wrote:I honestly hate the Hesei Godzilla design. Way to slow moving and clumsy looking for my taste. Also I felt that he overused his atomic breath.
Not to worry, Young Farmer, you'll find you have friends here. ;) Okay, there probably aren't many of us who full-on hate the Heisei design (or at least the post-'91 look; '89-'91 is objectively incredible-looking), but plenty of us at least dislike its excessively sluggish bulk. That complaint is regularly applied to most other Heisei monsters, too, as is a disdain for the constant beam-spamming in place of decent melee combat.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Heisei could move faster if they ever revisit that design, since they started making the suits out of lighter stuff in GFW.

Everyone wants a fighting game, why confine yourself to a small area? The focus, the real star, is the destruction. We need a new adventure game. Godzilla doesn't just fight other monsters, he also travels, destroying/protecting cities, fighting the human military or helping it fight alien military. And of course the boss fights are gonna be other monsters. I don't even care if Godzilla is the only playable monster (though it would be nice to have two others to unlock and play as) as long as the game was great, not just good, but great and fun and easy enough to understand that you don't need to be a fan or anyone who doesn't know their Mothras from their Rodans can still pick it up and have fun.

Since Quantum gaming is becoming a thing, I think game systems and PCs will have a much easier time handling the dream Godzilla game we've always dreamed but never could due to tech limitations.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The destruction mechanics would have to be massively upgraded from everything we've seen before. I want the crumbling/exploding/collapsing buildings to actually look believable.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
That's like not telling people you like The Mamas and the Papas because you fear they'll discover their harmonies.

That's like not telling people you like Mark Twain because you fear they'll discover his satirical edge.

That's like not telling people you like diamonds because you fear they'll discover that they sparkle.
I don't tell them for fear of finding this place and feeling embarrassed over the fights that occur.