The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by eabaker »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:46 am
godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:21 pm Just saying these replies don't help shake off the "TK is so Showa biased" stereotype lol
Because it’s not a stereotype. It’s the complete, 100% truth :lol:
Preference does not equal bias.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I don't even think the TK Showa bias is true statistically lol.

Of course everyone is going to say, "watch the original film" of whatever fanbase you're involved in. At least actively, I see much more involvement in the MV and Heisei/Millennium threads on TK.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think I've said it before but personally I see the fandom moving towards appreciating the series as a whole. It does suck when people just talk about the Monsterverse because I feel like Godzilla's true appeal lies in it's uniquely Japanese filmmaking and storytelling, but I mean... to each their own.
Otherwise I see equal defenders for the Showa era and the Heisei era. Our general understanding of the series seems to be expanding, beyond even just Godzilla or the Toho sci-fi cycle of the 50s-60s. How many younger fans are fighting for preservation of the dubs? When I came into the fandom it was boomers shouting to anyone that would listen GUDZILLA IS SERIOUS METAPHOR LIZARD and complaining about most of the series.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:45 pm I think I've said it before but personally I see the fandom moving towards appreciating the series as a whole. It does suck when people just talk about the Monsterverse because I feel like Godzilla's true appeal lies in it's uniquely Japanese filmmaking and storytelling, but I mean... to each their own.
Otherwise I see equal defenders for the Showa era and the Heisei era. Our general understanding of the series seems to be expanding, beyond even just Godzilla or the Toho sci-fi cycle of the 50s-60s. How many younger fans are fighting for preservation of the dubs? When I came into the fandom it was boomers shouting to anyone that would listen GUDZILLA IS SERIOUS METAPHOR LIZARD and complaining about most of the series.
A lot of kids have gotten into the series from G2014 onwards and as a result have grown up with the series again. The internet also makes the films or even just clips of them a lot more easily accessible to them, too. It's led to a lot of people having a love for the series.

I love how many stopmotions I see from kids on YT of their Godzilla figures.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

goji89 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:32 am
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:17 am
goji89 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:57 am What's he reading? Why is there fire all over the place and the book isn't on fire? And why does he look like he's taking a dump while reading the book?

Also that's a huge book.
Come on now, if you were busy reading, would you carelessly lead the book catch fire? Sheesh. Besides, gotta do something to pass the time while dumping so reading will do.
Perhaps that's where all the fire comes from. This version of Godzilla couldn't breathe fire, but maybe...just maybe......
Good Lord, then this Godzilla is OP. Similar to Shin how it blew smoke first then ignited it this one does it from his bunghole......?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West Virginia, mountain mama
Take me home, country roads
Weirdly enough, this was exactly some of the same comments I found on the reddit page that also discussed this picture in regards to TriStar Godzilla's 'unique' reading position....as for the implication they breathe fire from the other end, Uncyclopedia made a similar joke in their article on the first American Godzilla...
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:00 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:45 pm I think I've said it before but personally I see the fandom moving towards appreciating the series as a whole. It does suck when people just talk about the Monsterverse because I feel like Godzilla's true appeal lies in it's uniquely Japanese filmmaking and storytelling, but I mean... to each their own.
A lot of kids have gotten into the series from G2014 onwards and as a result have grown up with the series again. The internet also makes the films or even just clips of them a lot more easily accessible to them, too. It's led to a lot of people having a love for the series.

I think Godzilla can be a lot of different things-a tragic metaphor for War and death, a living manifestation of nature's power and how we shouldn't toy with it, a funny and campy romp of big rubbery monsters and the inherent silliness of a giant reptile breathing a radioactive laser beam, a tragic beast twisted by man's hubris and pollution of the natural world, and plenty of other things too.

Godzilla has been SO many things throughout the year, and taken on so many different shapes and sizes-And that's part of why he's endured so much, in my opinion-He can change depending on political climates, attitudes, or general aesthetic of his time periods; At this point, there's a Godzilla for everyone to enjoy. So to reduce him to exactly one of his many incarnations and insist that 'THIS IS THE RIGHT GODZILLA' just kind of ignores the fact that he isn't just a big rubbery lizard or a gritty anti-hero; He's kind of anything we WANT him to be.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:00 pm A lot of kids have gotten into the series from G2014 onwards and as a result have grown up with the series again. The internet also makes the films or even just clips of them a lot more easily accessible to them, too. It's led to a lot of people having a love for the series.

This.

I grew up with the '98 movie as a child. It was one of my favourites and without it I wouldn't be the fan I am today. My first exposure to the classic series (and even the then-more-modern ones in the Millennium series) was via the Pipeworks games and I didn't get to see almost any of them beyond Final Wars in 2009-ish until the Criterion box set (I really love living in the UK where we don't get much Goji media/releases).

2014 was the first I saw in cinemas, in fact.

The fact kids are growing up with a more 'faithful' adaptation that sticks true to the classic series is fantastic to me - because they'll be more likely to go back to them as I did.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

I think this is a natural symptom of not only the franchise being so varied, but there also being a tsunami of new, and more importantly, different new Godzilla media out there. If someone doesn't like Godzilla 2014, they make like Shin, and vice versa. Do they like neither? They might like Godzilla: KotM, or maybe even the Anime Trilogy. Even though Godzilla is all over the place in terms of themes, quality, tone, and storytelling, I have always seen this as a strength of the franchise. Godzilla has always been flexible enough to appeal to certain tastes, so long as they are okay with giant monsters. There really isn't a "wrong" way to enjoy Godzilla, unless you just like the Roland Emmerich one or something.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Keizer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:28 pm
I think this is a natural symptom of not only the franchise being so varied, but there also being a tsunami of new, and more importantly, different new Godzilla media out there. If someone doesn't like Godzilla 2014, they make like Shin, and vice versa. Do they like neither? They might like Godzilla: KotM, or maybe even the Anime Trilogy. Even though Godzilla is all over the place in terms of themes, quality, tone, and storytelling, I have always seen this as a strength of the franchise. Godzilla has always been flexible enough to appeal to certain tastes, so long as they are okay with giant monsters. There really isn't a "wrong" way to enjoy Godzilla, unless you just like the Roland Emmerich one or something.
I mean, I do sorta like the Roland Emmerich one, albeit more for the design and for how it was later vindicated/executed properly rather than Roland Emmerich's actual DIRECTION for it.

Granted, I guess you could argue then it's more Tatopoulos' Godzilla, given he made the design and it was Emmerich who made the film (and all the mistakes that came with it)

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:24 am I don't even think the TK Showa bias is true statistically lol.

Of course everyone is going to say, "watch the original film" of whatever fanbase you're involved in. At least actively, I see much more involvement in the MV and Heisei/Millennium threads on TK.
Well, it really depends. The whole Showa preference thing mainly comes from the opinions of the more experienced TK members (plus myself), so I think people just assume the majority of TK has a “bias” towards the Showa era.

And second, my theory for why the MV forum is so active, is because of the influx of new users we’ve had recently, who (because they’re mostly younger) gravitate towards the MV movies, first and foremost.
For Emperor and Empire!

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm
I mean, I do sorta like the Roland Emmerich one, albeit more for the design and for how it was later vindicated/executed properly rather than Roland Emmerich's actual DIRECTION for it.

Granted, I guess you could argue then it's more Tatopoulos' Godzilla, given he made the design and it was Emmerich who made the film (and all the mistakes that came with it)
I was mostly joking, to be fair; it wasn't the idea of someone liking it being the problem, just the idea of it somehow being the only one they like. Even that wouldn't be "wrong," just an incredibly strange take.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Keizer wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:22 am
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm

I was mostly joking, to be fair; it wasn't the idea of someone liking it being the problem, just the idea of it somehow being the only one they like. Even that wouldn't be "wrong," just an incredibly strange take.
That makes sense-Not sure if I have any more 'cringe' to share right now, sadly. What about the rest of you guys?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Have anyone ever seen this type of art before? I haven’t seen these types of art yet in this thread so I’m just gonna put it here

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:42 pm Image
Have anyone ever seen this type of art before? I haven’t seen these types of art yet in this thread so I’m just gonna put it here
Oh yes, that kind of art. I think it's trying to ape that Godzilla/MLP crossover The Bridge, but the art for that was at least actually decent.
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:44 pm
Oh yes, that kind of art. I think it's trying to ape that Godzilla/MLP crossover The Bridge, but the art for that was at least actually decent.
I find the art mediocre, I just find it so weird that this exists, but hey at least the worse
Also off-topic does everybody have a problem with my signature image about being big?

Added in 21 seconds:
Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:47 pm
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:44 pm
I find the art mediocre, I just find it so weird that this exists, but hey at least their worse
Also off-topic does everybody have a problem with my signature image about being big?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Yeah, the MLP jabronies and shipping of Godzilla art....

I just can't.

I hate you for this. I had already forgotten this thing was a thing.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

goji89 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:48 pm
Yeah, the MLP jabronies and shipping of Godzilla art....

I just can't.

I hate you for this. I had already forgotten this thing was a thing.
I got you covered

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Thatguy4683 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:47 pm Also off-topic does everybody have a problem with my signature image about being big?
Yes, I was going to mention it in a PM but I forgot. On my laptop it takes up a full screen, lol. Maybe resize it a bit?

The MLP art is so hilarious, why is she sooooooo thin and lanky?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

How about my signature?

Is it offensive?

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:12 pm How about my signature?

Is it offensive?
Yes, the image is so huge that it won't even load at all!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:16 pm
goji89 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:12 pm How about my signature?

Is it offensive?
Yes, the image is so huge that it won't even load at all!
That's what she said......
Wait, no.....I didn't think this joke through like at all.