The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by cmdmstudios »

UltramanGoji wrote: To enter any of the video-related contests, you have to send in physical DVDs.
I've had issues with this in the past. One year, I entered a music video, but there was a change in the mailing address and the only ones notified were the fan film entrants, not the music vid entrants. Last year, I sent in a DVD for the fan film competition. I had received a message from the judge that it arrived cracked in half. He asked me to send him a link to dl it, which I gladly sent. When it gets to the night of the fan film contest, I find out that the judge had to bail on the fest this year and didn't send over any of the downloaded entries to the fest. I didn't have it uploaded to Youtube either so I was basically removed competition.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

cmdmstudios wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote: To enter any of the video-related contests, you have to send in physical DVDs.
I've had issues with this in the past. One year, I entered a music video, but there was a change in the mailing address and the only ones notified were the fan film entrants, not the music vid entrants. Last year, I sent in a DVD for the fan film competition. I had received a message from the judge that it arrived cracked in half. He asked me to send him a link to dl it, which I gladly sent. When it gets to the night of the fan film contest, I find out that the judge had to bail on the fest this year and didn't send over any of the downloaded entries to the fest. I didn't have it uploaded to Youtube either so I was basically removed competition.
That's fucked. It sounds mean to say but I can't wait till a younger generation who knows their A/V shit takes over the con.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

UltramanGoji wrote: Aside from that, the organizer's are also really out of touch with technology. There's almost always some technical difficulty encountered every year due to the organizer's refusal to use anything beyond 2005-era tech.
Cut them some slack, this fandom in general has always been 15-20 years behind the curve in multiple ways. There are still people partying like it’s 2003 over the presence of the comic book bubbles in Gigan in recent North American TV and video, and there are still people partying like it’s 2008 over the official North American release of extremely mediocre HD transfers that weren’t even good or up-to-date when they were new, even if it is becoming a more mainstream view to acknowledge this fact. I wish I could feel the same excitement others have for content that has been available for years, just not through official releases approved by Toho, the unelected, unaccountable private tyranny whose bureaucracy is killing their own films.
Last edited by Tamura on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

cmdmstudios wrote:
Jesus Christ! The last time I entered the video contest was 2000 (I then served as a judge in 2002), and I would have expected this kind of shit to have gotten better since then, not worse!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
cmdmstudios wrote:
Jesus Christ! The last time I entered the video contest was 2000 (I then served as a judge in 2002), and I would have expected this kind of shit to have gotten better since then, not worse!
Well it is a convention run by a company that still publishes a print magazine...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
cmdmstudios wrote:
Well it is a convention run by a company that still publishes a print magazine...
I mean, print magazines are pretty great. I love having physical copies at my disposal, located in a room in my house (as opposed to in some abstract online space, or downloaded to a drive), being able to carry them anywhere, not having to read off of a fucking screen. But the fact that they're print only seems pretty bizarre.

Of course, I haven't bothered to renew my subscription in over 15 years. But that mostly had to do with my steadily decreasing interest in their content.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Oh, that wasn't a qualitative statement on print magazines (I'm in the same boat as you), just a comment on how they're still stuck in a different time period in more ways than one.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, and I definitely find it bizarre that they don't publish an online version at all.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:Yeah, and I definitely find it bizarre that they don't publish an online version at all.
They put the question in a few of their polls about maybe switching to an online/digital version or a mix of print and digital but considering half the readership is likely older and not well-versed in technology, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I went to G-Fest the first time in 2017 with my wife. I've been to quite a number of cons (SDCC, Wondercon, Monsterpalooza, Midsummer Scream, etc) so I always expect a certain number of... lets say "superfans". People that kind of fulfill certain stereotypes. But to be honest G-Fest wasn't that bad compared to some others. Yes the element was there but there was a larger mix of people than I thought there would be. Now I've only been once but I really enjoyed the experience. No real technical glitches, good panels, and Higuchi was great. Such an aloof and funny guy. The karaoke was something to see too (the guy singing to his Godzilla toy being the highlight). My wife and I made some friends at the bar.

About upgrading to another venue as the con grows... I actually asked one of the organizers about that. I guess the jump in cost is quite significant and they would most likely lose money if they did without jacking up ticket prices. I personally wouldn't mind paying a little more for a bigger veneue.

Added in 9 minutes 59 seconds:
Tamura wrote:wish I could feel the same excitement others have for content that has been available for years, just not through official releases approved by Toho, the unelected, unaccountable private tyranny whose bureaucracy is killing their own films.
From what I understand the set is selling pretty well. So not sure about them killing one of their moneymakers. Got to remember that the average person that walks into Barnes and Noble or sees the set on Amazon doesn't really know or care where the masters came from. Nor has the average person forked over $45 a piece to import the Toho Blus (with no English subs). So for the vast majority of fans this is an exciting release.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

UltramanGoji wrote:Sometimes, the interviewer at the panel will ask the most idiotic stuff like what happened last year with Kaneko when the guy asked him about power levels for some of the GMK monsters or whatever.
Fantasy Match Guys are an infection that needs to be purged.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Fish Cakes wrote: Fantasy Match Guys are an infection that needs to be purged.
Not to call anyone out in particular (not even the person I'm quoting) but I feel as if blanket statements like these are "cringy" in themselves.

Yeah that was a silly question for a professional interview, but it's unfair and even a bit elitist to mock off other parts of the fandom based on what they enjoy about the series – be it fantasy matches, toy collecting, or fan fiction.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Godzilla21 wrote:From what I understand the set is selling pretty well. So not sure about them killing one of their moneymakers. Got to remember that the average person that walks into Barnes and Noble or sees the set on Amazon doesn't really know or care where the masters came from. Nor has the average person forked over $45 a piece to import the Toho Blus (with no English subs). So for the vast majority of fans this is an exciting release.
If you or I go into a Barnes and Noble and buy this set, is that going to keep 99% of the US versions of Toho films from rotting due to intentional neglect on Toho’s part?
Last edited by Tamura on Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Toho decided that the "99%" of dubs do not represent the films they made. As such, they decided to only allow distribution of the ones they approved of. Is it maybe a bit of a disservice to some history of the films, yes, but it is not the malevolent mustache twirling "intentional" destruction you're characterizing it as.

It's also ironic that you complain about neglect when they're are at least 15 download links for some of those "lost" dubs in the Fan Art's FIRST page.

I get the point you and many others are making, I really do, but this is a understandable issue with substantial ways around it.

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Fish Cakes wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Sometimes, the interviewer at the panel will ask the most idiotic stuff like what happened last year with Kaneko when the guy asked him about power levels for some of the GMK monsters or whatever.
Fantasy Match Guys are an infection that needs to be purged.
It annoys me when people that spend the majority of their time participating in fantasy matches, and then randomly come out of the wood work to criticize or talk about a film they haven’t seen in like ten years. Yeah it annoys me when people care more about fantasy matches than the films itself.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote: Fantasy Match Guys are an infection that needs to be purged.
Not to call anyone out in particular (not even the person I'm quoting) but I feel as if blanket statements like these are "cringy" in themselves.

Yeah that was a silly question for a professional interview, but it's unfair and even a bit elitist to mock off other parts of the fandom based on what they enjoy about the series – be it fantasy matches, toy collecting, or fan fiction.
Yeah, let's not go insulting other parts of the fandom just because they have different priorities from you. Enjoy a warning.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Toho decided that the "99%" of dubs do not represent the films they made. As such, they decided to only allow distribution of the ones they approved of. Is it maybe a bit of a disservice to some history of the films, yes, but it is not the malevolent mustache twirling "intentional" destruction you're characterizing it as.

It's also ironic that you complain about neglect when they're are at least 15 download links for some of those "lost" dubs in the Fan Art's FIRST page.

I get the point you and many others are making, I really do, but this is a understandable issue with substantial ways around it.
I remember when I was 12 my father got me a bunch of the Tokyo Shock DVD's for Christmas. Only 6 or so at the time. As a kid, I was ecstatic to be able to watch The Mysterians, Space Amoeba, and many others. I maintain that having a set of 15 Godzilla films, more if you include the different versions included, is still a good thing, regardless of some of the lesser qualities of the films. I think it's good for a CASUAL fan, who doesn't pay attention to such stuff, and maybe has only seen a few Godzilla films.

For myself, and a few others on this site, it's completely worthless, and I've grown more and more to agree with Tamura's sentiment. However, I do not think the set is completely a bad thing and I see it's worth.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Toho decided that the "99%" of dubs do not represent the films they made. As such, they decided to only allow distribution of the ones they approved of. Is it maybe a bit of a disservice to some history of the films, yes, but it is not the malevolent mustache twirling "intentional" destruction you're characterizing it as.

I remember when I was 12 my father got me a bunch of the Tokyo Shock DVD's for Christmas. Only 6 or so at the time. As a kid, I was ecstatic to be able to watch The Mysterians, Space Amoeba, and many others. I maintain that having a set of 15 Godzilla films, more if you include the different versions included, is still a good thing, regardless of some of the lesser qualities of the films. I think it's good for a CASUAL fan, who doesn't pay attention to such stuff, and maybe has only seen a few Godzilla films.

For myself, and a few others on this site, it's completely worthless, and I've grown more and more to agree with Tamura's sentiment. However, I do not think the set is completely a bad thing and I see it's worth.
I understand what you mean completely. It is a gift for those who are not that collecting oriented and it makes things easier got those who miss out on that kind of thing. I also am not saying dubs do not matter. One of my favorite Godzilla films of all time, the one that made me a fan is the dub of Godzilla 2000. I've avoided the original because both word of mouth and my feelings tell me it won't be the same.

What I meant was while it is heartbreaking, I do think the sentiment Toho is evil and trying to destory history is frankly ridiculous.

I meant no disrespect to any dub fans and I'm sorry if I offended

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
I would also like to say as someone who saw all but 2 films at the time I got the set, the set is very good for a lot of people, not just casuals. People forget because of the Hollywood productions and all the new merch, but we are still a niche fandom. We don't get this kind of thing.

RIP Evan.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

In Dman1954’s new video, he admitted he knew all along that it was Godzilla falling from the sky, that Serizawa would die, etc.

I got MAJOR douche chills when he went on to try and pass it off as a justifiable thing to do. Yeah, just lie to your audience for months.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LockBite wrote:In Dman1954’s new video, he admitted he knew all along that it was Godzilla falling from the sky, that Serizawa would die, etc.

I got MAJOR douche chills when he went on to try and pass it off as a justifiable thing to do. Yeah, just lie to your audience for months.
Wow. What a prick.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!