Godzilla's screentime in the G series

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: Godzilla's screentime in the G series

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Can not compare Godzilla 1954 screen time to Godzilla 2014 for many reasons.

- Godzilla 1954 was about Godzilla, Godzilla 2014 was more about the MUTO's
- Godzilla 1954 was 30 minutes shorter then Godzilla 2014
- Godzilla 1954 had a powerful message, Godzilla 2014 does not
- Godzilla 1954 had great characters, Godzilla 2014 killed off there best character 30 minutes in
- Godzilla 1954 did not keep cutting away from the action sequences when Godzilla finally arrived, Godzilla 2014 did

I could go on but you get the point. Godzilla should have had at-least 20/25 minutes of screen-time minimum for a 2 hour movie. Also when your pulling a ''Jaws'' type movie the most important thing in your script should be your characters. Jaws is a classic because Brody, Hooper, Quint all had perfect chemistry on-screen and gave everyone in the audience something to love when the shark wasn't on screen. Also it's presence (an theme) was continuously felt threw out the entire film, something else that lacked in Godzilla 2014.

Also an most importantly both the Original Godzilla and Jaws were done in the 50's and 70's, back when they did not have the equipment, effects, technology, and most importantly the budget to continuously show off there monster... Godzilla 2014 does not and shouldn't have had this problem.

So when people say ''Oh well G-1954 only had Godzilla in it for 9 minutes'' well that's great but it was 1954, and done for 900,000 i read not 160$ million.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:-snip-
Hi!

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Moving on..

So what movie did Godzilla have the most screentime in?
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

^really? Because i felt the last time i watched godzilla vs biollante like godzilla wasn't much in it at all.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

attilagodzilla wrote:^really? Because i felt the last time i watched godzilla vs biollante like godzilla wasn't much in it at all.
If I'm not mistaken, Godzilla is on screen for at least 20 minutes in Godzilla vs. Biollante. Off the top of my head, I'd say Tokyo SOS would be the only other film to match or surpass that amount of screen time.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:
attilagodzilla wrote:^really? Because i felt the last time i watched godzilla vs biollante like godzilla wasn't much in it at all.
If I'm not mistaken, Godzilla is on screen for at least 20 minutes in Godzilla vs. Biollante. Off the top of my head, I'd say Tokyo SOS would be the only other film to match or surpass that amount of screen time.
I'd find that weird, cause that movie just rushes through things so quickly.
Are you referring to Tokyo SOS? If so, I could be wrong. I haven't seen it in a while but I remember there being a large amount of monster action.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

The 2000s Mechagodzilla films are the shortest since Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Gargantua
Samurai

Post by Gargantua »

The Jaws and Alien or even Jurassic Park comparisons don't really work though. Godzillas been around for 60 years starring in a series of films which number at about 30 and has appeared in other media. We know what we want to see :g64: :godzilla: :g2k: . We got to see Godzilla in the trailers pretty clearly as well. Theres no reason for him to be hidden so much. Also, hes HUNDREDS OF FEET TALL! This isn't the xenomorph hiding in a vent or in the shadows, or a shark which is exclusively a sea animal and stays beneath the surface, or a dinosaur lurking in the bushes. Godzilla shows up and has an altercation with a MUTO at the center of a Hawaiian airport, why the hell would I NOT want to see that?

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

Saansilt wrote:Geez man talk about derailing a thread.
Sorry 'bout that. I've read a lot (not on this thread, elsewhere) about how Godzilla 2014 gives Godzilla enough screentime. Wouldn't that be on topic?
I apparently thought so. I must have been wrong. But I'll talk about other stuff now. That's just something I had to say.

How much screentime did Godzilla and Godzilla Junior get in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah?
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

kamilleblu wrote:
Sorry for late reply. It has been a while since i have seen godzilla vs biollante so i could be wrong, but i felt like it took a really long time for godzilla to appear and when godzilla appeared i had the feeling that he was only in it like for five minutes. Probably totally wrong about that but that's what it felt like, probably was impatient while watching the movie.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Gojira tai Mosura wrote:-snip-
1. That has nothing to do with the thread at hand, so...

2. Haven't you admitted you don't really like Godzilla anyway?

3. Chill your butthurt. You act like this movie is an offense and that everyone who liked it is stupid. Don't try that.
Yeah. I was a little to late to figure out that's not what this thread was discussing. I apologize.
Also, I don't dislike Godzilla. I don't like Godzilla 2014, if that's what you mean.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I remember Godzilla having quite a bit of screen-time in ''Mothra vs Godzilla 1964''

Once he rises from the ground he attacks the city, the military tries shocking him on 2 seperate occasions, then an attempt with missiles at the beach. His first battle with Mothra and then his final one with both infants. I'd say he at-least got 20+ minutes in an 88 minute film.

Godzilla 1985 from what i recall also had quite a bit of Godzilla screen-time... Just started to drag a little once the missile was launched and intercepted otherwise these two films mostly revolve around Godzilla which even if he's not on-screen you still feel his presence which can make all the difference.

Still i wish we could get an exact time on both these movies about Godzilla's screen-time, i wouldn't be surprised if both exceeded 20 minutes and probably are one of the few in the series that do.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Well yeah, I listed the exact timecodes for those two already.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Godzilla is in the new film for 10:18, including the credits and shots of monitors/TV.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Space Hunter M wrote:Well yeah, I listed the exact timecodes for those two already.
Which versions of these films are we going by again?
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

For those two, The Thing and uncut RoG.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Space Hunter M wrote:For those two, The Thing and uncut RoG.
I'm sure that in the uncut version of RoG, Godzilla has at least 25+ minutes in that movie. I used to have a Youtube account. I managed to get most of the Return of Godzilla scenes on there for some time. But then they came after me with copyright real fast after a while of having them... My highest viewed video then was "Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla 1974 (first fight)". You know, the industrial ground battle, followed by "Godzilla attacks Tokyo 1984", and that was 5 minutes of Godzilla right there.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

It's nineteen minutes and twenty eight seconds.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

How much screentime did Godzilla get in GMK?

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 1954: Godzilla's Running Time

Post by Julia Bristow »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Exactly - Legion1979

An yet Edwards wants to pull this same bull-shit again with the sequel... really hope Warner or Legendary steps in and tell hims to cut that crap out.

He'll end up killing the franchise if he is that stupid and will lose my respect for him as a director.
This statement I whole heartedly agree with, I get what Edwards was tryin to do (hide Godzilla for as long as possible, look at Cloverfield another monster movie that hides its star monster for as long as possible) but come on Edwards, for the sequel I hope that WB & Legendary rein him in & let him know that fans wanna see Godzilla do cool shit.
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO