Godzilla's screentime in the G series

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Godzilla's screentime in the G series

Post by godzilla98rules »

I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep this, but I made a video showing every scene of Godzilla from the 1954 original. I did this in response of people complaining about Godzilla 2014 having little run-time

The total run-time is approx. 9 minutes and 54 seconds.......
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Goji12
Monsterland Worker

godzilla98rules is awsome

Post by Goji12 »

I watch your your youtube videos
Just thought you should know that

BAM!!!!!

PS, I can smell you

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla 1954: Godzilla's Running Time

I couldn't keep it up as long as I wish. :mad: I'm currently working on a list of Godzilla's run-time in all 30 films, so I'll just do that.......

Godzilla 1954's full run-time is still 9m 54s.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html

R.I.P. George Root III

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Post it to Daily Motion broheim.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Tamura wrote:Post it to Daily Motion broheim.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm giving it a try now......

EDIT: Here we go:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x269n0 ... lla-scenes

It'll be viewable once encoding is done.........

R.I.P. George Root III

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

You see, the difference between this and Godzilla 2014 (in addition to the ratio between Godzilla's screen time and the total runtime of the movie) is that Godzilla 1954 is actually about Godzilla. Even when he's not on screen, his presence is felt and talked about by characters who are actually interesting.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

20th Century Boy wrote:You see, the difference between this and Godzilla 2014 (in addition to the ratio between Godzilla's screen time and the total runtime of the movie) is that Godzilla 1954 is actually about Godzilla. Even when he's not on screen, his presence is felt and talked about by characters who are actually interesting.
^True. While I loved the new film, it was really about the MUTOs. But hopefully this video and the list I'm working on can help stop some of the complaining about Godzilla 2014's "short" screen-time.......

R.I.P. George Root III

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

20th Century Boy wrote:You see, the difference between this and Godzilla 2014 (in addition to the ratio between Godzilla's screen time and the total runtime of the movie) is that Godzilla 1954 is actually about Godzilla. Even when he's not on screen, his presence is felt and talked about by characters who are actually interesting.
And not only that, a lot of the movie really builds to the big city destruction sequence, which ends up being a long, dramatic, special effects masterpiece (for it's time especially) that shows Godzilla in his full glory destroying Tokyo. The original Godzilla was the first of it's kind, and the slow road it takes to Godzilla's rampage is very deliberate. The cast and audience doesn't know what this creature is capable of, and the film is careful to lead up to the eventual hell on earth when Godzilla finally lets loose. So evne though he has minimal screen time for most of the movie, you really get your money's worth with the Tokyo attack.

That's the big difference between that film and 2014. The cast doesn't know Godzilla, but he has 60 years of history with the audience. So keeping people waiting for him to appear or (worse) cutting away completely from a battle when he DOES show up is ridiculous. I can't think of any Japanese Godzilla film - even ones that make the audience wait for him - that limits his screen time so drastically when he finally appears. And there certainly aren't any Toho films that cut away from monster battles without showing you anything. And please don't give me Aliens and Jaws comparisons...

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

^ Bingo.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Exactly - Legion1979

An yet Edwards wants to pull this same bull-shit again with the sequel... really hope Warner or Legendary steps in and tell hims to cut that crap out.

He'll end up killing the franchise if he is that stupid and will lose my respect for him as a director.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Legion1979 wrote:I can't think of any Japanese Godzilla film - even ones that make the audience wait for him - that limits his screen time so drastically when he finally appears. And there certainly aren't any Toho films that cut away from monster battles without showing you anything. And please don't give me Aliens and Jaws comparisons...
B-b-but early Spielberg... #edwardshighfive

Gamera in Gamera vs. Barugon actually has more screentime than Godzilla in this movie. No joke.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote:And please don't give me Aliens and Jaws comparisons...
Hate to break it to you, but in the context of this discussion I'd say that's a necessity.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:Exactly - Legion1979

An yet Edwards wants to pull this same bull-shit again with the sequel... really hope Warner or Legendary steps in and tell hims to cut that crap out.

He'll end up killing the franchise if he is that stupid and will lose my respect for him as a director.
https://tributetotheweb.files.wordpress ... medium.jpg

The amount of chilling out you need to do is extreme.
Why does he need to chill out? He's stating his opinion. He isn't flaming anyone. Maybe you should relax a bit on the micro managing.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote: Because it's a movie. A movie does not deserve this amount of rage. Thus, a suggestion to chill.
Maybe you should stop trying to tell me what to do and go on your way...
He has every right to rage about this movie as you have the right to defend it. As long as he doesn't flame anyone you shouldn't be micro managing him.

And LOL at you telling to not tell you what to do. Since you were made a mod that's ALL I've seen you do to people. Talk about a double standard.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Don't think he's doing anything wrong, he's just showing passion for what he believes in. People have done a lot worse and were able to continue without any interference from higher powers.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Underworld54
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Underworld54 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Please try to do more than just post a picture, alright? It's nothing more than spam.
Underworld54 wrote:Don't think he's doing anything wrong, he's just showing passion for what he believes in. People have done a lot worse and were able to continue without any interference from higher powers.
He's not, but it's not exactly helpful. Just adds to the rage.
Seeing as this sort of debate seems to just ignite arguments, I'm pondering locking this. If anyone can provide to me a reason that this should exist, I'll let it stay. Otherwise...
It would be interesting to see videos showcasing Godzilla's screentime in all his movies. Nothing wrong with passionate fans having a spirited discussion, as long as it doesn't go past that I say let it go.
Sadly, I must make you aware that anything I say is my opinion.

Contrary to popular belief, I did like Godzilla 2014

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Underworld54 wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Please try to do more than just post a picture, alright? It's nothing more than spam.
Underworld54 wrote:Don't think he's doing anything wrong, he's just showing passion for what he believes in. People have done a lot worse and were able to continue without any interference from higher powers.
He's not, but it's not exactly helpful. Just adds to the rage.
Seeing as this sort of debate seems to just ignite arguments, I'm pondering locking this. If anyone can provide to me a reason that this should exist, I'll let it stay. Otherwise...
It would be interesting to see videos showcasing Godzilla's screentime in all his movies. Nothing wrong with passionate fans having a spirited discussion, as long as it doesn't go past that I say let it go.
Exactly. Once again Underworld the voice of reason. It's good we have differences or else there would be no discussion. No debate.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Godzilla's visible in Kong for 9:24 (including depictions on newspapers/magazines), and in The Thing for 15:53.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

Space Hunter M wrote:Godzilla's visible in Kong for 9:24 (including depictions on newspapers/magazines), and in The Thing for 15:53.
He's in Kong for only nine minutes? Doesn't the fight scene alone last about that amount of time?
Space Hunter M wrote:Interesting that he's in Mothra's film so much when he appears pretty far in. I forgot how much of that film focuses on the guy.
To be fair, most of his screen time in that film is in the last twenty or so minutes.
Last edited by gojira96 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.