When Kaiju Lose

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
JAGzilla
Sazer

When Kaiju Lose

Post by JAGzilla »

So when a kaiju is killed or otherwise defeated, it tends to be in spectacular fashion. Sometimes they're vaporized, sometimes they're blown to bits, sometimes they melt... kaiju make their exits in a lot of interesting (and frequently awesome) ways. What are some of your favorite scenes? They don't have to be only from Toho movies, either; for variety's sake, we'll include any kaiju movie/show/book you want.

One of mine:

- The death of Space Gyaos in Gamera vs. Guiron. Got his leg blown off, and then Guiron sliced him up like lunch meat. Definitely one of the goriest kaiju deaths, and a unique one as far as I know. Too bad it was removed from the movie's US release.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: When Kaiju Lose

Post by Terasawa »

King Ghidorah lost his center head to Godzilla in 1992. That's pretty friggin cool if you ask me.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

- When Showa Gigan just flies away from his battles. "Screw you guys, I'm going home."
- Spacegodzilla's death was epic. His crystal tower gets destroyed, his shoulder spikes get destroyed, he needs to get blasted with missiles and lasers over and over again. He just didn't quit until the end!
- Mothra's death in SOS somewhat got to me, I can admit.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

JAGzilla wrote:- The death of Space Gyaos in Gamera vs. Guiron. Got his leg blown off, and then Guiron sliced him up like lunch meat. Definitely one of the goriest kaiju deaths, and a unique one as far as I know. Too bad it was removed from the movie's US release.
It was? I got that movie on VHS tape when I was a lad and that scene was very much in the movie. That was probably the first time I saw something get dismembered in a movie, quite an experience.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

JAG's talking about the 1970 AIP-TV version. The one you watched in your youth was the uncut one Sandy Frank distributed in the 80s.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Yeah, that's the one. I was in a hurry when I typed the first post, and didn't have time to check if there were other releases.

DeadpoolsbetterThanU
JXSDF Technician

Post by DeadpoolsbetterThanU »

Titanosaurus just kinda fell into the water if I remember correctly. :(
CHIMICHANGA!!!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote:Nothing says AMURIKA like cars, explosives, guns, hot chicks, and tons of money being spent on it.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

The resulting inferno after Godzilla defeated Biollante's rose form had impressive visuals.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

There aren't a lot of kaiju defeats that really stand out for me (at least that I can think of right now).

However, I do like the three-way tumble into the ocean at the end of MONSTER ZERO; and Irys went out with a very impressive bang in G3.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

When Godzilla killed Angiurus. That neck bite was very animal like and not seem in many other monster movies.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

-Irys's death via Falcon Punch
-King Ghidorah's death in DAM
-Motha's death in ROM
-Godzilla's death in GvD
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gamera blowing up Gyaos's head in Gamera: GOTU has always been a standout for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Mothra's death in Rebirth of Mothra after fighting Desghidorah... seeing Leo struggle to keep his mother above the water and incredibly tragic music playing, it's such a well done tear jerker
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Arbok wrote:Mothra's death in Rebirth of Mothra after fighting Desghidorah... seeing Leo struggle to keep his mother above the water and incredibly tragic music playing, it's such a well done tear jerker
Respect for a Rebirth of Mothra film on Toho Kingom?! I never thought I'd see the day...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ That scene deserves it. It's damned sad, pure and simple. And not 'sad' in the same way as the rest of the ROM trilogy, either. :P

While we're on the subject of Mothra, she's racked up quite a few memorable death scenes over the years. The adult's death in MvsG is a good one. That she used the last of her strength to glide to her egg and cover it with her wing was pretty touching.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Even bad movies can have powerful moments.

Further speaking of Mothra, I forgot about her exit in SOS - another very impressive KABOOM moment.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Arbok wrote:Mothra's death in Rebirth of Mothra after fighting Desghidorah... seeing Leo struggle to keep his mother above the water and incredibly tragic music playing, it's such a well done tear jerker
I vaguely remember this touching scene, even without seeing the film in over 10 years and forgetting the rest of it.

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

- I really enjoyed Godzilla killing Anguirus off in Godzilla Raids again. The bite to the throat was very vicious, and I love how he he torched his corpse for good measure.

- Godzilla defeating Ebirah in Godzilla Vs. the Sea Monster was awesome. In the end both of the crustacean's claws are ripped off and Godzilla taunts Ebirah with one of them.

- Godzilla and Minya defeating Kumounga in Son of Godzilla was awesome. After putting up a great fight he gets finished by two simultaneous Atomic breath blasts.

- King Ghidorah getting a brutal beat down by the assembled earth monsters in Destroy All Monsters was great.

- I always thought Godzilla ripping apart Hedorah's dried out corpse was cool.

- Mechagodzilla breaking Anguirus's jaw was brutal, I always felt bad for him.

- Both of Mechagodzilla's deaths were great. Godzilla throwing Mechagodzilla into a ditch and then blowing him up with Atomic breath was awesome.

- Godzilla blasting off King Ghidorah's head in Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah is definitely memorable.

- Mechagodzilla and Spacegodzilla death by Spiral ray were cool.

- Godzilla blowing up Orga from the inside was awesome.

- The vaporization of the three guardians was cool.

- Mothra's death in Tokyo S.O.S was well done.

- Gigan, Zilla, and Kaizer Ghidorah had my favorite deaths in Final Wars.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

I loved Mechagodzilla's destruction in 1974. That kill was one of my favorites.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

eabaker wrote:Gamera blowing up Gyaos's head in Gamera: GOTU has always been a standout for me.

For me as well. That scene was like a wild west shootout for kaiju. Another scene that stands out is Kumonga being burned to death by Godzilla and son. I also liked Ebirah being intimidated by his own claws.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.