The Unused Concept Art Thread!

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Unused Concept Art Thread!

Post by Terasawa »

Orga is an interesting case where there was no finalized concept artwork for the character.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Terasawa wrote:Orga is an interesting case where there was no finalized concept artwork for the character.
So they just went ahead and made the suit we know after making a bunch of concepts that look nothing alike?
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Orga is an interesting case where there was no finalized concept artwork for the character.
So they just went ahead and made the suit we know after making a bunch of concepts that look nothing alike?
Well, one of the final concepts look pretty similar to the final product.

Still pretty different though.
Last edited by Gigantis on Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
No, I guess I should have clarified that.
Wikizilla wrote:Ultimately, special effects director Kenji Suzuki approved an approximately 30 centimeter-tall clay maquette as the basis for the character's Phase I form, rather than any of the submitted concept art. Orga's mouth and Phase II form were, however, both based on concept art by Shinji Nishikawa.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I think everyone knew Bagan was gonna show up on this thread at some point. Here's one of the concept's for Mothra vs. Bagan, titled "Design B"

EDIT: And here's the classic "Design A"!

Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Sure wish there was concept art of the Heisei version of Kong.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Here's some concept art of Megalon and Jet Jaguar.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Here's some concept art of Megalon and Jet Jaguar.
If only the original Red Alone concept was... y'know, not skreeonked up to oblivion. I can say "skreeonk" as a verb, right?
Spoiler:
Oh crap, I'm starting to sound like Gr@#!(^%
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Spoiler:
Hehehehe... my presence shall force you to slowly become me. :twisted:

Also, if this thing is any indication, i don't know if Red Alone was gonna look any good.

Ugly as sin looking bird.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Spoiler:
Hehehehe... my presence shall force you to slowly become me. :twisted:

Also, if this thing is any indication, i don't know if Red Alone was gonna look any good.

Ugly as sin looking bird.
I've heard that the suit made of Red Alone looked almost nothing like Masaaki Sano's original concept.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Apparently the only real distance was the pure white design was the weird, multicolored one they went with.

Still, that kid must've felt crappy as heck seeing his creation being turned into a bulbous headed, multicolored monstrosity against nature. I bet he even had a vendetta against Jet Jaguar.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm sure everyone here has seen the biomechanical 1954-looking Kiryu (that I personally hate) but here's another, lesser-known Kiryu concept by Yasushi Torisawa.
I love this thing way more because it looks like a mixture between Showa MG and Transforming Mechagodzilla with a little bit of military tech mixed in.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It has an anime feel to it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The machine gun and wrecking ball scream "too edgy" to me. But then again, the finished product wasn't without it's edgy moments so what am i complaining about?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote:The machine gun and wrecking ball scream "too edgy" to me. But then again, the finished product wasn't without it's edgy moments so what am i complaining about?
How are a gun and a mace edgy? If anything, the Showa MG's arsenal of missiles, missiles, and more missiles is edgier than that.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: How are a gun and a mace edgy? If anything, the Showa MG's arsenal of missiles, missiles, and more missiles is edgier than that.
More like cheesy.

This thing, on the other hand, is shooting gigantic building sized bullets with the meanest possible looks on it's face with glowing red eyes... reeks of trying too hard.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Mace looks more like an extending fist to me, you can even see the little fingers sticking out the inside edge.

On another note, I like the treads on the side of the feet. I'd be down for a Mechagodzilla who can drop treads to skate around or give him extra traction in a shoving match.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Guesra.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I kinda wish the G14 crew kept this design.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gigantis wrote:I kinda wish the G14 crew kept this design.

I would've been okay with any of the 2014 concepts.

Yes. Any of them
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira