The "Unused Toho Creations" Thread!

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: The "Unused Toho Creations" Thread!

Post by edgaguirus »

Gigabowser,I've always heard that the Dogolas design comes from a computer program used for Toho Studio tours.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

edgaguirus wrote:Gigabowser,I've always heard that the Dogolas design comes from a computer program used for Toho Studio tours.
The monster's in Movie Studio Tour, but I'm more wondering where that specific piece of artwork was scanned from. It's definitely not from the same game; they only have the fully-rendered models of the monster. My only guess is a book, but I could be wrong.

Added in 4 hours 18 minutes 52 seconds:
Shinji Nishikawa recently did a redrawing of the scrapped version of Biollante, I think as part of an art class demonstration! What an interesting choice.

https://twitter.com/2kagari18/status/738626467035127809
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

GigaBowserG wrote:Sooooooo
I can't remember how I got around to this part of the net that I did, but I THINK I may've found two pieces of concept artwork for 1980's Bagan:

(sourced)

I can't find anything regarding these pieces, like where they may've originated. That first one might be from a magazine...? Maybe? Good luck try digging up info on these things. But if they're legit, I have a MUCH greater appreciation for Bagan's unused split form!
Pretty cool how it can turn backwards, would've loved to see this on film, but I imagine they'd have had to create a LOT of suits for this movie (remember each of the heads is supposed to be from a different form of Bagan), I guess Toho wasn't willing to spend that much on the movie.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'd just like to point out Dogolas is most likely Dogora. On the unused monster thread it states that Dogolas is written in English, not Dogora but that's still inconclusive.

Dogora is DO GO RA. That would be ドゴラ。

Dogolas is DO GO LAS. When actually writing it in Japanese you'd be forced to write that as ドゴラ or ドゴラス. So yeah, I just wanted to clear the misconception that Dogora/las isn't the same monster. The name may be different in English but it's highly unlikely the name would be different in Japanese.

Most likely Toho wanted to bring Dogora back at some point, but revamp it, similar to how they randomly brought Mougera back despite him not being in a Godzilla film before.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

These two designs were originially intended for Destroyah and I really like both of them. Wish they would be recycled into new kaiju

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I'll have to rewatch the Japanese GMST credits again and see if there's any mention of the Japanese name, but I kinda doubt it.
Edit, nope, just Japanese staff credits.

Added in 7 hours 36 minutes 29 seconds:
Finally - some official concept art for Ghost Godzilla:

He looks awesome.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

GigaBowserG wrote: Image

He looks awesome.
Historic day! :0
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

It's about gosh-darn time! Love the more scarred look to this one. ;)
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

GigaBowserG wrote:I'll have to rewatch the Japanese GMST credits again and see if there's any mention of the Japanese name, but I kinda doubt it.

He looks awesome.
Awesome!!

Also the way his ears stretch out make them look like Elf ears and that's funny.
Godzilla

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Someone translated the Japanese near the top - the reason it looks like G1954 Heisei-ified is because he's actually possessing the body of Little Godzilla. It caused such rapid growth that the skin is tearing at the seams.
/crawls back under rock

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

GigaBowserG wrote:Someone translated the Japanese near the top - the reason it looks like G1954 Heisei-ified is because he's actually possessing the body of Little Godzilla. It caused such rapid growth that the skin is tearing at the seams.
So Godzilla could have been forced to fight his own son?

It sounds much more intriguing than Godzilla vs. Destoroyah in concept. Oh well.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Too bad that concept never came into play. Could've even been worked in to Destroyah one way or another... Godzilla versus his son and his predecessor, as well as the device that killed said being.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GigaBowserG wrote:Someone translated the Japanese near the top - the reason it looks like G1954 Heisei-ified is because he's actually possessing the body of Little Godzilla. It caused such rapid growth that the skin is tearing at the seams.
Well, that sure puts a damper on things. Seems darker than what we actually got.

Sounds like quite an interesting concept.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

So would the ghost abandon Jr's body and leave a scarred, grieving Godzilla 3 behind to ravage Japan, or would Ghost Godzilla become the new King of Monsters? Assuming Heisei Godzilla dies I mean.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I don't think that second concept art of Destroyah would work, but I'd love to see it used as another kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Ivo-goji wrote:So would the ghost abandon Jr's body and leave a scarred, grieving Godzilla 3 behind to ravage Japan, or would Ghost Godzilla become the new King of Monsters? Assuming Heisei Godzilla dies I mean.
I would guess that the former would be the case, given that's what happened in GvD...
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Concepts for the 1994 American Godzilla:

/crawls back under rock

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

GigaBowserG wrote:I'll have to rewatch the Japanese GMST credits again and see if there's any mention of the Japanese name, but I kinda doubt it.

He looks awesome.
The head kinda kills it for me.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

GigaBowserG wrote:Concepts for the 1994 American Godzilla:

These are cool! Very cool!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

LukidonU
Yojimbo

Post by LukidonU »

Ghidorah Used To Look Like A Rainbow, Good Times, Well, Not Really Because I Wasnt Born In The 1960's
Store In Countless Museums And Trapped In What She Calls Hell, Is This The End For Her Hallow Soul?
Poppy's Night, A FNaF Fanfic And Oh Yeah, Remember Godzilla Vigor? He He.. :twisted: